PDA

View Full Version : CBS News Segment on DTV Subscriber Theft



snoopy
10-10-2003, 10:50 PM
It seems Dave is targeting even us legitimate subscribers with threats of lawsuits. Did anyone see the segment? If anyone is interested, I can put it up on FTP.

jdiner
10-11-2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by snoopy
It seems Dave is targeting even us legitimate subscribers with threats of lawsuits. Did anyone see the segment? If anyone is interested, I can put it up on FTP.

Wild. I for one would like to see it. I just tried a web search and found nothing about it.

--jdiner

BubbleLamp
10-11-2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by jdiner
Wild. I for one would like to see it. I just tried a web search and found nothing about it.

--jdiner

This is ancient news, but here's the link (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/10/10/eveningnews/consumer/main577599.shtml).

snoopy
10-11-2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by jdiner
Wild. I for one would like to see it. I just tried a web search and found nothing about it.

--jdiner

I assume Jdiner has it by now per your email, so here it is now for the masses.

The entire segment is about 50mb and is now uploaded to the same folder my ISO image is in. For anyone who wants it, just follow the link for the ISO image in my signature file. If when you click the ISO link, it asks for a username and password, it is because the server is overloaded. Just give it some time. This server is set to download one user at a time. Due to limited bandwidth, the server just runs smoother that way. It seems the news, at least for now, is on the side of the consumer and... That ROCKS!

PS. Please consider this discussion dead as far as this thread goes. It is a bit off topic to say the least. I just figured folks here would be the most interested which is the reason for the post. Sorry to get off topic.

boboli
10-11-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by BubbleLamp
This is ancient news, but here's the link (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/10/10/eveningnews/consumer/main577599.shtml).

Yesterday is "ancient news"??
You have to love the technology field. :)
B

BubbleLamp
10-11-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by boboli
Yesterday is "ancient news"??
You have to love the technology field. :)
B

No, DTV's law suites and threats have been going on for ages. Basically they started not too long after Canada made it illegal to sell the stuff up there and has continued as they bust more and more hardware dealers. They get the dealer's records, then blanket their customers with threatening letters. There is a class action suite against DTV regarding this as well.

boboli
10-11-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by BubbleLamp
No, DTV's law suites and threats have been going on for ages. Basically they started not too long after Canada made it illegal to sell the stuff up there and has continued as they bust more and more hardware dealers. They get the dealer's records, then blanket their customers with threatening letters. There is a class action suite against DTV regarding this as well.

I see what you mean. My apologies. I did not mean to sound snooty. But let me add to your knowledge. There are actually two class action lawsuits. One is under appeal after being wrongly dismissed. The other is a Class Action for RICO Violations, Fraud, Extortion etc etc etc. We're way off topic here, but if there is a forum for such discussions, it is a fascinating topic.
B

captain_video
10-11-2003, 10:36 PM
It is an interesting topic and one that does not deal with theft of service directly so I don't think we'd be violating any forum protocols by discussing it here. DTV started the massive lawsuits following their seizure of some 65 website servers for forums that discussed hacking DTV. DTV seized lists of users that ordered smartcard programmers through these websites and have targeted the names on these lists as DTV hackers stealing service. There have been a lot of innocent people caught up in the maelstrom of DTV's lawsuits and have been left little recourse other than to pay DTV's extortion fees in the amount of $3,500 or risk losing much more in legal fees should they decide to fight it in court. DTV has deep pockets and a large legal staff so the average legit DTV subscriber is pretty much screwed if they got named in the suit.

Interestlingly enough, I attended an all-hands meeting in my department at work a couple of months ago where the employees were polled to see how many would be interested in getting involved in a pilot program for using PCs with smartcard readers integrated into them. They're actually much more secure than using a user name and password to log onto them since usernames and passwords are easily found out. The user would simply insert an encrypted smartcard just like a DTV access card when logging onto a PC. I don't have any other details but it's my guess that you would also use a password or some other form of confirmation to enable logging on to the PC. I believe Dell sells PCs with smartcard readers to industrial customers for increased levels of security. I work for a defense contractor that handles a lot of sensitive material so you can see how something like this would be attractive to upper management.

It is somewhat ironic in that I used to work for the defense division of Westinghouse Electric Corp. until my division got bought out by a major defense contractor. Westinghouse held ownership in a larger number of television and radio stations and the CEO at the time felt the broadcasting division was the road they wanted to take in the future. They bought out CBS as a result so the news about this being broadcast on CBS has a personal twist to it.

David Bought
10-15-2003, 05:40 PM
Why does this thread have 64677 views?

I did not realize that the service theft problem was that serious amongst DDB users. Is this a mistake or is it an accurate reflection of the morality problems facing this board?

mrblack51
10-15-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by David Bought
Why does this thread have 64677 views?

I did not realize that the service theft problem was that serious amongst DDB users. Is this a mistake or is it an accurate reflection of the morality problems facing this board?

while the latter may be the case, the views count is a carry over from the fact it was split from the tytools thread.