PDA

View Full Version : desoldering tuners! Help!!

Loopie111
10-11-2003, 06:03 PM
I have to replace some tuners on a dsr6000 motherboard. I have a desoldering iron(has suction ball attached) and a couple of regular soldering irons. What is the easiest way to get these tuners off. I have used the desoldering Iron to remove the solder from the pins of the tuner. But I am having trouble removing the 4 attaching tabs (I need 4 hands). Any help would be appreciated.

GREEK
10-12-2003, 02:17 PM
Buy an extra tip for the desolder from ratshack and use a tiny drill bit tip to make out the shape of that wide holding pin(4 of them). Then resolder and let cool, then desolder so all of it comes off. Before I had a hot air pencil this is how I did tons of them. You have to get 100% off the solder off or it wont budge. I also heat the top of the board on each end bend the hold bins slightyly towards the pins, and use a tiny flat blade screwdriver to pry up gently. Its tricky with irons, hot air is best...........

Loopie111
10-12-2003, 04:21 PM
thanks for the tip. I will give it a shot.

Loopie111
10-15-2003, 10:23 PM
Thanks Greek! It worked like a charm. I re-installed them in the other mother board and it works great.

GREEK
10-16-2003, 12:56 AM
No sweat, good job doing the swap, most break their first ones.................................

ahonamous
10-25-2003, 09:43 PM
It looks like I may have to do this as well.. I am a little lost on the process Greek describes for the 4 alignment pins. Can either of you give a little more detail/explanation.

Thanks,
Anne

Loopie111
10-26-2003, 06:56 PM
If you go to radio shack and buy the desoldering iron(has red pump bulb attached) you can buy extra tips for them. Get a small drill bit and elongate the hole in the tip to fit over the holding pins. (Fixture tip in a vise and use a drill and a small bit to make the hole a slot. make it approximatly the same length as the pin.) If you oversize it too much it will not suck up all the soldier. If all of the soldier will not come out just re-soldier the joint and then try to de-soldier again. When you are ready to soldier the new tuners in soldier the holding pins in first (fill the elongated tip with soldier and put it over the pin for a second). Use the same process for soldiering the round pins just use the round tip. Should look close to the original job. Good Luck

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F009%5F007%5F004&product%5Fid=64%2D2060

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F009%5F007%5F004&product%5Fid=64%2D2061

Loopie111
10-26-2003, 07:06 PM
Forgot to ask, Are both your tuners dead? Have you checked to make sure you didnt loose the 30 volt supply from the power supply. I had a hughes gxcebot that lost the 30 volt supply and was charged $130 (feel stupid) to solider a wire from the power supply to the board. If this sounds like your problem let me know and I will give you more info.

cali
10-26-2003, 08:20 PM
Another tip:

Buy a $20 craftsman solder GUN. It comes in handy for seriously tough ground plane connections. That coupled with solder wick will kill anything these tuners can throw at you.

Air pencil is cool :)
Solder Pot is even cooler :D