PDA

View Full Version : DWD490RE newbie questions

bennybee
10-11-2003, 11:40 PM
First off let me say what a great informative site you have here and glad I joined today. Today I picked up 2 RCA-DWD490RE units (bartered) for some computer work. 1 unit has a defective tuner to which I found the answer/fix quickly by doing a quick search. The other unit is hung up on "connecting to WEBTV" I have tried some of the misc. codes to no avail. My question is should I let it perform the upgrade (110 minutes) or should I verify the OS version (3.5 or 3.7). I cannot get into any menu to verify the OS due to the "connecting to WEBTV" nag.
btw a P4 card was included with 1 of the units.

tia
benny

apn64
10-12-2003, 09:41 AM
If your UTV is stuck on trying to connect to WebTV, and this is not because you've inserted the access card in the right-side card slot, then I'd say the BOOT ROM is having difficulty locating a valid O/S image (from which to boot) on the HDD.

If you allow it to connect and download a new O/S, you're going to get version 3.7, which may be OK if you plan to call DTV and start subbing the unit.

However, if you plan to use the UTV with an HU/P3 card, you must (at the present time) locate and install O/S version 3.5

bennybee
10-12-2003, 10:44 AM
Is there a way for me to take the "good" hard drive from the 2nd unit and ghost the image to this problem drive.

thx for ur help

OK read in another post that I'll have to run winhex to perform above task

thx again, this place is GREAT;)