PDA

View Full Version : HELP with RC. SYSINIT file, need a good copy

Hoodm3
10-14-2003, 01:05 AM
Well after the Tivo upgrade over the weekend I tried to fix the files and I think I may have messed up my RC.SYSINIT file. I can't get past the "powering up" screen. Anyone have a copy of a good RC.SYSINIT file?

Any help would be appreciated, I have searched the boards over.:o

NutKase
10-14-2003, 01:50 PM
There are many things that'll stick you on the powering up screen. Are you monte'ing?

You need a serial cable to see the output. If you followed the instructions on DDB then you should be able to see tivo output via serial. Alternatively, you can mount the drive in your pc and look in /var/logs/kernel and messages.

In other words, with the serial output, you can tell if rc.sysinit started, hung or finished, but you can also tell if you have a bad hack kernel, failed monte, bootpage error (as in not flipped) and other inportant info.

NutKase

Hoodm3
10-14-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by NutKase
There are many things that'll stick you on the powering up screen. Are you monte'ing?

You need a serial cable to see the output. If you followed the instructions on DDB then you should be able to see tivo output via serial. Alternatively, you can mount the drive in your pc and look in /var/logs/kernel and messages.

In other words, with the serial output, you can tell if rc.sysinit started, hung or finished, but you can also tell if you have a bad hack kernel, failed monte, bootpage error (as in not flipped) and other inportant info.

NutKase

I'm not real sure what Monte'ing is so I would say I'm not using it. I will check the logs though to see what was left there, if this doesn't work I will look at using the serial port.

Thanks so much for your input! :D

NutKase
10-14-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Hoodm3
if this doesn't work I will look at using the serial port.

I'd get going on that serial cable soon :) it'll give you information right now and may keep you from pulling your drive to fix every little error in the future.

The logs will probably tell you what's going on though.

NutKase

lmurray
10-15-2003, 07:46 PM
what tivo do you need the rc.sysinit for ? (DTivo/SA, and tivo s/w version (2.5/3.0/4.0 etc)

-lloyd-

Hoodm3
10-16-2003, 05:08 PM
This is for a DTIVO 3.1b, or I may need a image now for the drive that I could use MFSTOOLS to restore it. I don't have a backup of my drive.

mrblack51
10-16-2003, 06:58 PM
if your unit is not totally fubar and has the original kernel intact, then the rc.sysinit should be restored by the initrd if you let the 3.1.1b kernel boot normally