PDA

View Full Version : crazy tivo, any ideas?

rellis
10-14-2003, 02:43 PM
Im running a series one sa tivo that has been doing some crazy things as of late. It now likes to just freeze at random times during playback and recording. Short of unplugging the unit its self, i cant do anything when it freezes. This used to be maybe a once a day problem, but now its more like an every 5 min kinda thing. Running the factory hard drive, with a 120 add on and a turbo net card. Anyone have any ideas or maybe a way to 'deal' with it?

-Ryan

LazyBastard
10-14-2003, 02:50 PM
First thing to check...

The wire running from the power supply to the mainboard. Make sure the ends are seated firmly and are CLEAN.

Second...

Check your HDDs - if one of them is half dead, it'll cause freezing.

Third...

If all else fails, reload.

genericuser
10-14-2003, 07:19 PM
What version of the o/s are you running?

I agree with everything that lazy bastard said. I tend to think it is a HD problem. Pull them, hook them to a PC and run the non-destructive diagnostics test.

crusador
10-14-2003, 09:25 PM
if the problem is only with playback or recorded programs the problem is almost definatly with the HD. usually this can be determined by pauseing recorded program, if the picture is jittery, its the HD. if its still, its usually signal related.

comakid
10-15-2003, 12:18 AM
I agree that the problem is a hd but, I had two western digital drives that randomly froze about once a week. I bought two new
seagate drive and dd both of the old drives to the new seagates.
I then installed the new seagates and have been running without freezes for over a month. I had the local computer store
run just about every test that they could but they could not find any problem with the western digitals. They gladly replaced both drives under warranty and I am installing them tonight into my second tivo.

GREEK
10-16-2003, 12:44 AM
I have ALOT of dead drives that test out PERFECT. The weak testing software grabs most, but not all. Mostly just bad sectors that arent bad enought to show up.....