PDA

View Full Version : new model Series2 power supply replace/info

pcompact
10-21-2003, 04:30 PM
Ok, I screwed up. I was removing the hardrive
ffrom a Series2 with the small motherboard.
I touched the frame drive ( still had power cable plugged into it) to the heavy aluminum
around the fron of the pwer supply. There
was a spark and the unit died.

I'm looking for a replacement supply or
troubleshooting info.

At this point I'm assuming that I only killed the power
supply.

THANKS

David Bought
10-21-2003, 04:49 PM
1) Never remove or otherwise tamper with a powered-up hard drive

2) Stop now and send your unit to a professional before you electrocute yourself

vu2vu
11-01-2003, 07:06 AM
I know you probably already tried, but is there a fuse on the power supply? Maybe greek or cali could help on this one.

pcompact
11-01-2003, 05:45 PM
I don't know if the Series 2 new model has a fuse on the power supply of not.

I took a quik look and didn't see one, but haven't looked closely.

Thanks, pcompact

cali
11-01-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by pcompact
I don't know if the Series 2 new model has a fuse on the power supply of not.

I took a quik look and didn't see one, but haven't looked closely.

Thanks, pcompact \

Fuse is black and is located just behind the black 120V ac connector.

GREEK
11-02-2003, 01:54 AM
its covered in rubber boot, have to look closely. If you subscribe throw it on ebay and get one for 89 at BB. YOu'll get more than that for it probably broken....

pcompact
11-02-2003, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the help, all.

I don't think I can get a series2 SA for 89 at Best Buy.
I've heard of deals claose to that for dtivo's
but I thought those committed one to Direct TV subscription.

Pcompact

GREEK
11-02-2003, 08:03 PM
Thought you meant Dtvio, not SA tivo. If this is a SA tivo just get a new supply, very cheap. As a matter of fact I have a couple new ones here :)

pcompact
11-02-2003, 08:18 PM
I did find what was described as the fuse.
I haven't checked it yet. Is that just a
rubber tubing cover over a conventional
pigtail fus, or it something special?

Greek, if this doesn't revie, I'll PM you about
a ps.
Thanks to all !
I know I shouldn't have gotten into this bind, but I'm here.

Pcompact

GREEK
11-04-2003, 02:04 AM
I desoler them and pull them off now, but I have just razorbladed the cover before and use shrind tubing to replace. Int he repairs I've done so far on sereis2 supplies, they all went bad somewhere else. Pop the 2 screws off and squeeze the white plastic holders to release the pcb board itself up and look underneath after freeing the power cable and ribbons for the drive and board. I almost always see a burn out arc type mark on the case underneath, they seem to love to ground out on the new ones, almost half of them have been totally shot out and the mainboard too

pcompact
11-24-2003, 10:56 AM
Got the power supply out of the case. No obvious
burn marks on the board or case, so I'm still
hoping it's salvagable.

What rating is the rubber covered fuse? I'd
guess low amp quick blow, but if someone
knows that would be nice.....

Best, Pcompact

pcompact
11-27-2003, 09:20 PM
Thanks to all for the help received in this form.
I slit the rubber cover on the fuse, removed it,
and covered a pigtail 3 amp fuse and replaced
it. IT WORKED! My series 2 is working again!

Pcompact

NutKase
11-27-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by pcompact
Thanks to all for the help received in this form.
I slit the rubber cover on the fuse, removed it,
and covered a pigtail 3 amp fuse and replaced
it. IT WORKED! My series 2 is working again!

Pcompact

Congrats! I'm jealous. Not that I didn't blow out my ps but that I didn't get the satisfaction of toughing it out and hacking it back to working. Can you say bragging rights :).

NutKase

PS. Now don't do that again :)

Raymond Day
01-27-2004, 09:54 AM
I have a laptop hard drive in my Series 2 TiVo. Been working good for about the last 2 mouths now. I put this type hard drive in because the one that came with it was getting louder and louder. Now all I hear is the fan that has to cool off the power supply. I been looking to replace the power supply with a PC type one that has no fan. I found this power supply (http://www.mini-box.com/pw-70a.htm) It gets power form a 12V brick type power supply.

Here are the 20 pins what volts they have on the TiVo Series 2 that I found out.

1 = Gnd
2 = 3.3
3 = 3.3
4 = 3.3
5 = Gnd
6 = 5
7 = 5
8 = Gnd
9 = 12
10 = Gnd
11 = Gnd
12 = 3.3
13 = 3.3
14 = Gnd
15 = 12
16 = 5
17 = Gnd
18 = 30
19 = NC?
20 = Gnd

Not sure on 19 my metter volts keep changing on it. Any one know what it is? Pin 18, 30 volts seems like the only problum to get a PC type power supply to work with it. I see on the TiVo power supply board it says the power and amps are:

3.3 = 4.5A
5 = 3.5A
12 = 2.4A
30 = 5ma

The power supply that I linked to with no fan has

3.3 = 5A
5 = 5A
12 = 1.5A

No 30 volts and the 12 is low in amps but with a laptop hard drive just using 5 volts I am sure 1.5 amps will be enuff. Mybe some place on this no fan power supply it has a 30 volts. Any one know if the TiVo can ran with out 30 Volts.

My guess is the fan in it is so loud now because the hard drive is not using the 12 volts and the heat/power that was use to get out of the hard drive is now comming out of the power supply.

GREEK
01-28-2004, 12:51 AM
Laptop drives are very expensive, especially if this is a larger gig size. You can get an IDE 3.5 inch drive for peanuts nowadays, especially with rebates. Tivos eat up drives, I would get rid of that drive ASAP and go to a normal drive. Second, you could jsut swap fans to a much quieter fan, and/or get a control module for it that tunes the voltage down and up, it will quiet/louden the fan as you wish. The fan cools the whole unit, it will die without a fan in it. Also, to get the supply you speak of to work is VERY difficult(to say the least), and no fan inside will kill the unit. 10 bucks for a new fan is MUCH easier, and if its still too loud (make sure you check the #s for the cfm and db ratings) 10 more will buy you the adjustable voltage control............