PDA

View Full Version : Best DTivo model to buy?

SanDiegoSteve
10-21-2003, 09:03 PM
I've had a UTV for 2 years, but the tuners are dying...

That leaves me with one option, DTivo. I plan to upgade to bigger drive(s) and the other hacks.

My question is, what is the best hardware model to get? I think the biggest concern is room for the 2nd HD while still remaining cool.

Or, if this has been talked about, what would be a good search? My searches didn't get me too far.

Thanks,
Steve

fixn278
10-21-2003, 10:12 PM
If you are looking to just add disk space, they are both the same. They can both hold two drives (although the series 2 units need an additional bracket). The S1's can only be obtained 2nd hand in the $200 to $250 area, while the S2's can be obtained from DTV for $99 with a subscription.

If you are looking to do any hacking, the S1's are easier. If you are not prepared to invest time in hacking, just get an S2 and upgrade the drives.

David Bought
10-21-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by fixn278
If you are looking to just add disk space, they are both the same. They can both hold two drives (although the series 2 units need an additional bracket).

The newer Series 2 designs (not 60hr or AT&Tivo) have a cheaper power supply which may not be able to safely accommodate two drives unless you spin them up in phases. 9thtee sells another overpriced gadget that addresses this problem.

Also the old S2 design will take two drives without a bracket. (SA only of course)

SanDiegoSteve
10-22-2003, 12:54 AM
At this point, the best deal is the $99 through DTV, but I can't tell what hardware they supply... but by the looks of it, it doesn't matter too much.

I'm now getting worried my problem is wiring and not the UTV. Time to go back under the house.

10-22-2003, 07:00 PM
The $99 deal INCLUDES installation, they'll run new wiring if that's what's needed.

Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
At this point, the best deal is the $99 through DTV, but I can't tell what hardware they supply... but by the looks of it, it doesn't matter too much.

I'm now getting worried my problem is wiring and not the UTV. Time to go back under the house.

captain_video
10-22-2003, 09:10 PM
The $99 deal INCLUDES installation, they'll run new wiring if that's what's needed.

That's true and they will also supply you with a multiswitch if needed at no extra cost. The only problem I had with the $99.00 deal is that I had to pay shipping which was way more than what the sales tax would cost you if you bought it locally at CC or BB. I already had a multiswitch so I didn't get any benefit from that part of the deal but if you do it would be worth the difference in cost. What really frosted me was the fact that I was scheduled for my install between 8AM and 12 noon and the installer finally showed up at 4:15 PM. Guess who had to burn a vacation day to get this great "deal?" The installation took all of about 10 minutes since I already had everything wired up and ready to go. All the installer had to do was hook up the DTivo and run it through guided setup. I still had to call DTV to get it activated. I couldn't do it online because it was a DSR7000 and that model wasn't listed in the DTV database yet for online activation.