PDA

View Full Version : Best DTivo to buy?

TokFan
10-22-2003, 02:11 PM
Here's a dtv/tivo newbie question for you:

I currently don't have any service and I'm contemplating what to get.

Since this is a new installation I'm limited to Series2 Tivos (I don't want to go ebay right now).

What are the differences between the different brands? do they have different functionality or do they just look different?
I'll also most likely be "hacking" the tivo unit to get tv-web etc. is any of the brands more hackable?

Thanks very much.

David Bought
10-22-2003, 02:22 PM
1) NEWBIE post, please post in the NEWBIE forum

2) Functionality is nearly identical amongst all S2 DTivos. The minor variations you will see are: some require 3.1.1 software, some have an RID chip, and some come with larger drives. The HDVR2 and DSR7000 are cheap, safe choices with identical internals.

If you buy a S2 be prepared to do a lot of reading because 1) there is very little documentation and 2) a lot of it is horribly inaccurate (http://hostfreedom.com/tivo). To see if you are up to the task, read all of the stickies in the S2 forum before you make a purchase decision. If you fall asleep halfway through, you are not up to the task.

captain_video
10-22-2003, 02:22 PM
The Philips DSR7000 and the Hughes HDVR2 are the S2 units that have been hacked so far. The jury's still out on the Samsung and RCA offerings.

TokFan
10-22-2003, 02:56 PM
Err, sorry for posting that in the wrong forum (newbie mistake I guess ;)

I'm not afraid of working with the s2, I've been reading some of the posts already and I'm well-versed in Linux so that will help.

Well, I found a free offer for a one-room DSR-7000 system (or $30 for the tivo and an additional receiver) so that makes the choice pretty easy.
(anybody has any experience with orbitsat.com?)

Thanks again,
/Martin