PDA

View Full Version : Problem reverting from 3.7 to 3.5

Koda
10-23-2003, 12:40 PM
I'm able to get my computer to recognize the UTV hard drive however when I attempt to open the drive in winhex I get an i/o error. Any ideas how to avoid this?

apn64
10-23-2003, 12:53 PM
Sounds like you're installing the UTV drive into PC and expecting it to work. You can't do this because the drive is locked. However, you can unlock it...

The correct procedure is fire up UTV with the drive installed. Give the machine a couple of minutes to finish booting. Fire up the PC with a spare IDE cable on a channel set to auto-detect in the BIOS. Pause the PC boot-up by pressing Break before drive detection, then disconnect the IDE cable from the UTV and connect the UTV drive to the spare (PC) IDE cable. Press any key to resume PC bootup to Windows.

PC should recognise the drive, and it will be unlocked. All you need now is a working ;) copy of WinHEX to manipulate the drive in any way you please.

Koda
10-23-2003, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the reply!
I'm running my ide cable from my pc to the UTV HD.
What I've been doing is this...
- Power on UTV unit wait until light is solid green
- Remove ide cable from UTV HD and connect spare ide cable from PC
- Power up PC and go directly to bios, set secondary ide to auto
- Save settings and exit and reboot
- PC boots into windows
- Go into winhex (I have a working copy :) )
- Attempt to open drive
- Get an i/o error when attempting to read sector 0 of drive

From your description it looks like my problem is that I should have the PC in auto detect mode initially, allow the utv to power up, boot PC and pause by pressing "break", switch ide cables, then resume the boot.

Is this correct?

Thanks!

apn64
10-23-2003, 01:58 PM
Your mistake is rebooting the computer after connecting the UTV drive to the PC's spare IDE channel. This re-locks the UTV drive.

Set the BIOS to Auto-detect on the spare channel, then save settings and boot the computer BEFORE connecting the UTV drive to the PC.

When the PC boots up, press the Break key before the drive detection sequence, then connect the UTV drive, and finally press any key to resume (PC) boot-up. This way the BIOS detects the new drive, but since you've not rebooted the PC, the UTV drive remains unlocked ;) and WinHEX can do its magic.

Koda
10-23-2003, 02:03 PM
Thanks apn64, that makes sense I'll give it a try when I get home.
Hopefully that will solve my problem.

Thanks again!

Koda