PDA

View Full Version : Dead DSR6000

PlainBill
10-31-2003, 04:20 PM
Patient is a DSR6000 I purchased on eBay. Described as powering up to the 'green screen failure menu'.

Symptom - All I get is a green screen as soon as the power cord is plugged in. No 'Powering up - Please wait', no menu, just a green screen.

Any suggestions?

PlainBill

genericuser
10-31-2003, 09:57 PM
What do you have to work with? Any other tivos?

PlainBill
11-01-2003, 12:19 AM
I have a second DSR6000 working perfectly, and would face 'wrath of spouse' if I took that down for more than a few hours. I also have the original drives from said second DSR6000. Installing those didn't help (not surprising, the green screen comes up well before the drives could be up to speed). I might be able to borrow a third system, but that one has a tuner problem.

I was hoping for some kind of word indicating this is a known problem, whether it be negative (always a bad mainboard) or positive (check solder joints at xxx).

PlainBill

genericuser
11-01-2003, 10:40 AM
Sounds like a bad main board.
Swap in the mainboard from the one with the bad tuner and see how far you get.

CJPC
11-02-2003, 12:19 AM
Umm, that is a good idea, but the TUNER is onboard the mobo, so it would give the TUNER prob..

GREEK
11-02-2003, 01:58 AM
Why not fix the tuner problem first of all on the other unit and have 2 working, that way you can test to your hearts content? Second, I would flash the prom on that unit to be sure, and then reseat everything you can. All else fails sell it again or have someone take a look that knows what to look for......

PlainBill
11-02-2003, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by GREEK
Why not fix the tuner problem first of all on the other unit and have 2 working, that way you can test to your hearts content? Second, I would flash the prom on that unit to be sure, and then reseat everything you can. All else fails sell it again or have someone take a look that knows what to look for......

Well, first of all, I don't own the DirecTiVo with the bad tuner. The owner is willing to loan it to me. but isn't willing to pay for parts to repair it, let alone my time. I'm a sweet, friendly loveable guy (choose one of the above), but I refuse to spend my time and money to fix something for someone who is too cheap to pay for it.

Now on to the nuts and bolts of repairing the one I own. Is this a known problem? And how do I flash the prom? I'm embarrased to admit I didn't even check to see if it's socketed. (Pointers to the answers are enough).

PlainBill

PlainBill
11-02-2003, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by CJPC
Umm, that is a good idea, but the TUNER is onboard the mobo, so it would give the TUNER prob..

I'd already noted that, but didn't want to embarass genericuser. After all, he IS trying to help. HOWEVER, swapping the power supply from the unit with the bad tuner is easier, and would narrow the problem down to the main board.

PlainBill

GREEK
11-02-2003, 08:00 PM
Just reload 25 extreme on the HD and it will flash it upon install. Swap the other Power supply first and try that. Then do the HD if no go.

genericuser
11-02-2003, 10:17 PM
Right, the tuner problem would show up, but that would verify that your HDs, and the power supply are fine :-)

It would isolate the problem to the main board.

OR

if it does the same thing, then it might be a power supply issue.

thetaspell
01-28-2004, 02:09 AM
I have the identical issue with a GXCEBOT... purchased off eBay with the same conditions, no HDD included. Power up immediately shows solid green screen, no "Powering Up" message. Rebuilt a brand new 25xtreme image, same thing. But I left it for a beer and came back to see the screen flickering.. same expected interval as when I would normally get "almost there", but still green - yet occassionally flickering again. Finished my beer, answered a phone call, returned and to my surprise, found it sitting at a the blue DTV menu... however, the menu was empty. Pressing the Tivo button switched the screen to the reddish Tivo menu, but with again with no menu elements. Responds to standby. So I powered it down and back up. Same crap with the solid green screen, and right back to the blank menus after a while. Figured I'd rebuild 25xtreme again. Same thing, however this time I noticed the menu rendering warble and get fuzzy then clean. I did pull the power supply and check it in another working DSR6K, no probs, so I think it's safe to say that's not the problem.

So what I think I got is simply a bad main board. I don't have time to dick it with anymore so if anyone wants a GXCEBOT for parts (well, chassis, power supply/fan, drive mount anyway), make me an offer. Or if someone thinks this can actually be remedied, would be interested to know.

cali
01-28-2004, 08:11 AM
Isn't that initial screen hardcoded in the prom? I think so.

Make sure its not you video outs...try em all. Reloading with XTREME will attempt to flash the prom.. Also you can try pulling the CMOS battery for a few hours. After pulling the battery, you should discharge the board. I usually use a tweezer and shrt out the 3V line.

GREEK
01-29-2004, 03:05 AM
I would do what cali suggested, thats your first thing. Second, do you have another board to steal parts from? I have had similar, but not exact same scenario, and it came down to a bad mpeg decoder. You also have to test all the outputs to be sure they all function. Cali is absolutely correct the image is produced by the prom/baord. There is also a few other components that correlate to the vid outputs, but its weird you say theres no background. Reload xtreme and let it flash the prom, then see what happens. The 2 times I saw similar, the first one had heavy pixelation on top of all screens, and would blank out and come back. The second had what looked like white slash marks randomly around the screen, and would reboot after a few screen moves or maybe 30 sec. max. Both were decoding issues, but I had baords to pull from. I would grab a magnifying glass and flashlight and go over the back side of the board with a finetooth comb, you might just have a bad cap or voltage reg there if your getting a clear picture screen and no backgrounds..........

thetaspell
01-29-2004, 01:52 PM
I would do what cali suggested, thats your first thing. Second, do you have another board to steal parts from? I have had similar, but not exact same scenario, and it came down to a bad mpeg decoder. You also have to test all the outputs to be sure they all function. Cali is absolutely correct the image is produced by the prom/baord. There is also a few other components that correlate to the vid outputs, but its weird you say theres no background. Reload xtreme and let it flash the prom, then see what happens. The 2 times I saw similar, the first one had heavy pixelation on top of all screens, and would blank out and come back. The second had what looked like white slash marks randomly around the screen, and would reboot after a few screen moves or maybe 30 sec. max. Both were decoding issues, but I had baords to pull from. I would grab a magnifying glass and flashlight and go over the back side of the board with a finetooth comb, you might just have a bad cap or voltage reg there if your getting a clear picture screen and no backgrounds..........

Yep.. did all that, too (tried all three video outputs, rebuilt Xtreme, pulled the CMOS for a few hours...). Same thing: Powers on, solid green screen, flickers black at the expected interval when the screen would normally say "almost there...", goes completely black during the expected interval while sat info is collecting, then goes to a blank DTV menu, with no elements. The odd part is that I can navigate through all the invisible menu elements (referencing the manual/my own memory) with the correct blips & bongs where applicable, do a system reset, even tried a clear and delete all. However, I also found that if I plug in the sat feed to the first sat input, it reboots and sits indefinitely at the solid green screen. Repeated this several times and I presume it's definitely bad hardware. And alas, I don't have any spares to cannibalize. Oh well :(

GREEK
01-30-2004, 02:10 AM
maybe try playing with the pot screw, turning it up/down SLIGHTLY to see if the voltage helps it along.........probably not, but what the hell.............