PDA

View Full Version : Can't get Windows to recoginze UTV drive...

rg420
11-05-2003, 09:31 PM
I've read and read and read.... My UTV has 3.7 on it, and I want to revert back to 3.5. I have the image, winhex etc... but I can't for the life of me get windows to see the drive. Here's what I did... what am I missing???

Opened up UTV
Powered on UTV
Waited 2 minutes
Pulled IDE cable from drive, leaving power on
Plugged IDE cable on secondary IDE controller into drive
Used device manager (Windows XP) to scan for new hardware
Found nothing

So... I tried pausing the computer right before it recognizes drives, then doing the IDE swap -- same result -- nothing

When I go into the BIOS, it sees the drive, but windows (and partition magic) cannot...

Any bright ideas?

I have two IDE controllers in the machine -- the first has the master hard drive and a slave, the second only has a master CD-ROM which I removed for this procedure.

Any help appreciated --

Thanks in advance

rg

apn64
11-05-2003, 10:20 PM
If the BIOS recognized the drive, but Windoze didn't, then the drive is almost certainly locked.

BTW, Partition Magic and other apps like it don't have a clue how to read UTV drives.

1. Connect a long, spare IDE cable to PC Secondary Master (remove other devices from Sec channel).

2. Make sure BIOS is set to auto-detect a drive on the Sec/Master channel.

3. Boot computer and hit <BREAK> before the BIOS drive detection sequence starts.

4. Power the UTV and wait ~2mins for HDD activity to cease. Then carefully pull the IDE cable. The drive is now unlocked. DO NOT TOUCH THE HDD JUMPER(S).

5. Connect the PC's Sec/Master IDE cable to the UTV drive.

6. Press any key on PC to resume bootup.

Once Windoze boots, you should see the additional drive and be able to read it if you have a working copy of WinHEX.

djohn
11-05-2003, 11:00 PM
You might want to check your jumper on the UTV drive.

It sounds like you aren't getting the PW cleared by the UTV but that hardly makes sense since you wait 2 minutes.

One other thing you might want to do is make sure you don't bump the power cable from the UTV to the drive. I have seen molex connectors in PCs that just barely make connection and if you bump it when changing the ide cable it would reset the drive and lock it up again.

rg420
11-06-2003, 06:49 PM
thanks for the help, peeps. I followed the procedure above -- I also had to set my BIOS from Plug-and-Play OS True to False to let it detect the drive rather than Window$

Thanks again!