PDA

View Full Version : series 1 vs series 2

ryce11
11-07-2003, 07:15 PM
I have seen series 2 units for sale on ebay that say they are HU compatible.I thought only series 1 were hu compatible? Are series 1 units compatible with hu and and p4 ?The reason I ask is because there is quite a price difference between the units.

Spydertech
11-07-2003, 07:34 PM
A little clarification.....
The Series 1 units will use the previous model DirecTv access card if the software version is 2.5.2 or lower. Version 3.1 and above have been locked to use the newer access cards.

The Series 2 units only shipped with software version 3.1 and newer - as such, they were never designed to use the older cards.

So - that being said - any discussion of getting either the S1 3.1 or the S2 3.1 to be able to use the old card is against the rules of this forum......

One thing about Ebay - BEWARE!!!!
(just look at how many "Lifetime" Tivo's are available - especially the HDVR2 units that CAN NOT be lifetime :rolleyes: )

Spydertech

ryce11
11-07-2003, 08:18 PM
thank you . so series 2 listed as hu compatible is BS. and seies 1 can be either depends on the software version.Is that correct?

mrblack51
11-08-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by ryce11
thank you . so series 2 listed as hu compatible is BS. and seies 1 can be either depends on the software version.Is that correct?

all tivos can support hu (p3) cards. as per the series 2 faq, it can be done. however, it is not an appropriate topic for discussion here, since the only reason to use a p3 card is for service theft

ryce11
11-08-2003, 01:47 AM
The reason I ask is because there is quite a price difference between the units.

My mistake I thought this forum was for sharing information.My post did not contain any mention of service theft nor does it imply
any service theft.I take offense to those implications.It was merely an attempt to gain some information in order to make an informed purchase.

JJBliss
11-08-2003, 02:02 AM
My mistake I thought this forum was for sharing information.My post did not contain any mention of service theft nor does it imply
any service theft.I take offense to those implications.It was merely an attempt to gain some information in order to make an informed purchase.

Do NOT take offense to the implications, as they are accurate. You want to use an HU card, because you want to steal DTV service.

If you are planning on fully subscribing to all services you will receive, then a P4 will do you just fine.

If you don't have one, call 1-800-Directv and they will send you one.

We've been here a lot longer then you, and we KNOW what you meant. Moreover, don't hide behind some bullshit "sharing information crap. You weren't SHARING anything, you were looking for information to be given to you, while you had nothing to give back. Doesn't sound like a sharing symbiotic relationship, more like a lecherous paarasitic one.

mrblack51 answered your question, and cautioned you to follow the rules of this forum. You should take heed and be happy that you're question/thread was not deleted, and you were not banned.

ryce11
11-08-2003, 02:48 AM
Obviously you have been here longer,that is why I am in the NEWBIE section.It is necessary for one to learn in order to pass on the knowledge to others thus SHARING !! It is completely inappropriate for you to comment on what you THOUGHT were my
intentions.Here is the original post again!!

I have seen series 2 units for sale on ebay that say they are HU compatible.I thought only series 1 were hu compatible? Are series 1 units compatible with hu and and p4 ?The reason I ask is because there is quite a price difference between the units

as spydertech wrote "One thing about Ebay - BEWARE!!!!
(just look at how many "Lifetime" Tivo's are available - especially the HDVR2 units that CAN NOT be lifetime "

I only wanted to try and understand the differences between the units and why there was such a price difference as POSTED.If you want to THINK you now what was meant you are entitled to that but DONT publicly take me to task in an open forum because of your own THOUGHTS.
One more thing if you continue to treat new people to the forum with such little respect you may lose them and the information that they may bring to this forum and the only way to continue information SHARING is by gaining new information

mrblack51
11-08-2003, 03:07 AM
I only wanted to try and understand the differences between the units and why there was such a price difference as POSTED.If you want to THINK you now what was meant you are entitled to that but DONT publicly take me to task in an open forum because of your own THOUGHTS.
One more thing if you continue to treat new people to the forum with such little respect you may lose them and the information that they may bring to this forum and the only way to continue information SHARING is by gaining new information

the problem is that when i responded to a specific issue which had been raised, you replied in a way that showed you took offense to the response. whether or not you like the response, my post answered the question very specifically. rather than snapping back, perhaps you could have indicated that service theft wasn't your intention, and then redirected with a post indicating that you wanted further information regarding possible reasons for price differences.

we have many people that come here looking for dtv hacking info, and they must be told what the rules of the board are. you asked such a question, you got an accurate and appropriate response. in my post, i never indicated that you were attempting service theft, but simply making it clear that the use of p3 cards on tivos only serves one purpose.

bottom line, relax. this is a forum about sharing information, but people arent going to share with you with that kind of attitude. chill out

Sleeper
11-08-2003, 03:17 AM
ryce11

Don't spread you bs here!

You were explicitly told by captain_video back in October that talk of such a topic was prohibited on this site.

Here is the post:
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=121693#post121693

In my opinion, you have violated the rules. If I am not mistaken, the punishment for such an infraction is banishment.

Lucky for you that my opinion does not count!

ryce11
11-08-2003, 11:47 AM
sleeper did you read that post?I know what captain video told me.I am not spreading BS i follow the rules my post was in reference to why there was price difference between tivo
units AND NOTHING ELSE.

mrblack i will relax and chill out and i did take offense to the response maybe i should not have snapped back i felt that my post was clear as to trying to get information on tivo units and nothing else.i know discussion of service theft is forbidden and i felt i was being accused of that and wanted to defend myself.

JJBliss
11-08-2003, 12:13 PM
mrblack i will relax and chill out and i did take offense to the response maybe i should not have snapped back i felt that my post was clear as to trying to get information on tivo units and nothing else.i know discussion of service theft is forbidden and i felt i was being accused of that and wanted to defend myself.

Done and Done.

You have the information you needed. Let's move along now. Nothing more to see here.