PDA

View Full Version : Short in Power Supply

NutKase
11-08-2003, 06:42 AM
My SA S2 has a short. While preparing to put all my gear into a stereo cabinet I touched the power cable and the tivo light went out. After finishing I tried plugged it in and no power.

Removed cover sniffed around (literally) and plugged it in - nothing.

Wiggled it and got a spark and power back. Not good I know, but I put the cover back on and it's working fine now.

The plug did 'feel' sort've loose and I did see a couple of screws, so, should I mess with it? Try to tighten something? Buy a new power supply and replace it?

I just don't want to fry my MB.

NutKase

captain_video
11-08-2003, 08:36 AM
With the recent price drop in S2 DTivos it would probably be cheaper to get a new one than trying to replace a power supply or MB. Power supplies for a S1 DTivo used to run about $70 when they were available from Sony. New DTivos are going for around $99.00, depending on what kind of deal you can get. I think DTV is still offering the $99.00 deal plus shipping with free installation (i.e. includes a free multiswitch and cable runs if you need them).

NutKase
11-08-2003, 10:30 AM
Thanks, mine's a standalone and I can't get DTV where I am :( I think I'll leave it alone until it blows up.

NutKase