PDA

View Full Version : UTV power problem

seanix
11-10-2003, 09:49 PM
Just picked up a UTV unit that the owner said did not power up. The hard drive powers up and the fan and that's it. No lights, no picture, nothing. Any ideas as to where I should start???
Thanks in advance
Seanix

xtwister
11-12-2003, 12:16 AM
thats why the guy sold the unit. Its dead.

But you can try removing the hard drive and see if it powers upto the web screen. If not then check the main board over to see if any caps poped or any sign of scorch marks. There is also an issue with the power connection.

seanix
11-12-2003, 12:50 AM
Thanks for your reply. I will try to power it up with the hard drive removed. Just a thought, no lights come on at all but like I said, the hard drive powers up and the cooling fan runs. Does that sound like a power supply problem? I did a quick check on the board, no caps popped and no burn marks or any other signs of a major problem.
Thanks again for your help

bretskii
11-13-2003, 11:48 PM
Had box been opened up before? Check to make sure small ribbon in front of the UTV is secured correctly.

seanix
11-14-2003, 01:01 AM
Not sure if it had been opened before. I did check that ribbon, appeard ok. Anything I should look for in particular with that ribbon?
Thanks

bretskii
11-18-2003, 11:46 PM
The ribbon has contacts on only 1 side of it. Make sure the side with the contacts is facing towards the HD I believe (if i remember right) Pull it gently out of the base and inspect it ;) You can clearly see which side it should face.

B

seanix
11-19-2003, 12:37 AM
Just check it. Seems to be normal. No twist in the ribbon, and looks to be going the right way.
Thanks for the suggestions. Always appreciated.

klassic
11-19-2003, 06:31 PM
I had a similar problem... turns out the ribbon cable was broken in a few spots. Right where the sheathing ends.
It is like tin foil almost impossible to see the breaks.

Get the Sat w60 schematics and check the voltages on the main board side of the ribbon cable connector.
That's how I found mine was broken.

Just another thought...

seanix
11-19-2003, 07:51 PM
will try that.