PDA

View Full Version : "To continue viewing your programs..."

kgibbons
11-11-2003, 03:14 PM
A few moments ago, both of my UTV systems started broadcasting a message: "To continue viewing your programs, please install your new access card. Tune to channel 222 for information". Or something very close to this, as I didn't write it down word for word :)

Now I am using an HU in my UTV 3.5 system... does this finally spell the end of the HU in UTV machines??? Please say it ain't so!:eek:

fixn278
11-11-2003, 04:13 PM
That means DTV is getting read to turn off your old HU card so you can use the new P4.

be18driver
11-11-2003, 04:15 PM
It ain't so. It just means that new cards ( P4 or P5 ) will soon arrive in your mailbox. This means also that your UTV will soon be upgraded to O/S 3.7 ( lucky you ). HU cards won't work with O/S 3.7. There are ways around this but it is a touchy subject here. Search on O/S '3.5' & 'revert'.

kgibbons
11-11-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by be18driver
It ain't so. It just means that new cards ( P4 or P5 ) will soon arrive in your mailbox. This means also that your UTV will soon be upgraded to O/S 3.7 ( lucky you ). HU cards won't work with O/S 3.7. There are ways around this but it is a touchy subject here. Search on O/S '3.5' & 'revert'.

Yes, I know this board is generally reserved for regular UTV discussion -- and to keep any pirate discussion to a minimum.

Actually, my UTV receivers both have v3.5, and have never had a P4 card inserted in them. So it's baffling to me why I'm getting this message on both of them.

If anybody has any insight on this, please back channel on PM. Or.. if anybody can suggest some good learning threads on using an HU with v3.7, please hit me up as well.

Many thanks

fixn278
11-11-2003, 04:50 PM
As I said before...

DTV is preparing to shut off your HU card. They mailed you a P4 and are sending you this message to tell you that the existing card will be deactivated and they are instructing you on the process to swap.

djohn
11-11-2003, 05:06 PM
3.7 has some nice features. Your cards will be swapped if they haven't already and you will find your cards will get 745 soon.

geminicat
11-11-2003, 06:02 PM
If you are a current subscriber to D* then you either have P4 cards in the mail or you need to call and request your new P4 cards. If you do not recieve your cards soon then your HU cards will go bellyup and you will not be able to view anything until D* sends you your new P4 cards.. Consider yourself updated to P4 and 3.7..

djohn
11-11-2003, 06:11 PM
Look at it this way, since you won't be able to watch TV you will have more time to read DDB!

be18driver
11-11-2003, 07:02 PM
kgibbons
Check your PM's.

mannynrob
11-11-2003, 07:17 PM
I hope I'm not asking a stupid question, but why is it that so many people are trying to avoid using version 3.7 software? Is there some advantage to using the older version (different or better features, it runs more quickly, etc)? Not trying to judge or anything--just curious.

djohn
11-11-2003, 08:01 PM
It all revolves around the use of the HU.

JJBliss
11-11-2003, 08:11 PM
This conversation had better get on a topic related to UTV/Hacking UTV, and off of DTV Access Cards or it will be closed.

djohn
11-11-2003, 08:59 PM
Does anyone else find the record buffer feature of 3.7 totally awesome?

That is the sweetest thing ever for watching live TV.

Wonder if it is possible to extend the buffer? Anyone wanna try?

`3D
11-11-2003, 09:58 PM
record buffer feature

You mean the 30min pause...it's on 3.5 as well.

mannynrob
11-11-2003, 10:11 PM
I've found that on my receiver, I can pause (and rewind) live TV as far back as I have room on the hard drive. (I've gone back over 3 hours before.) I assumed this was normal. Do I perhaps have a hack I didn't even know about? (I got my UTV about a year ago at Best Buy--it was their demo model and the only one they had left.)

djohn
11-11-2003, 11:03 PM
No, I mean the feature that allows you to rewind in the buffer and hit record if you decided to record something after it started.

I am 99% sure you couldn't do that in 3.5 and I can do it in 3.7.

geminicat
11-12-2003, 12:25 AM
Yeah that was the cool feature on the 3.7.. with the 3.5 I think you can still rewind if your tuner was on that particlular channel just not record the show based upon the guide.... I have found that the pause function for UTV is alot longer then Tivo... But I am sure there is a Tivo hack that allows for longer pausing to take place.

djohn
11-12-2003, 12:33 AM
Yes, you could rewind but you could not record out of the buffer.

aka, I am channel surfing and see a movie comming on so I put tuner2 on that channel and continue to browse with tuner1. I don't find anything else so I go back to tuner2 and watch this movie. I really like this movie and say, damn, I wish I had recorded that. No problem, since I have it in buffer I can just go back in the buffer and record it from the beginning where in 3.5 you could not record out of the buffer, you would only be able to record the remainder of the movie, not the whole thing.

I think this is a very awesome feature.

xtwister
11-12-2003, 01:11 AM
I'm on the 3.5 and you once you press the record button it will delete the buffer and start recording from there. I didnt realize that 3.7 would do that? Kool

`3D
11-12-2003, 04:34 PM
Nope ya can't do that with 3.5....that is a nice feature in 3.7....ya has to "Go Live before recording this SHow"..in 3.5