PDA

View Full Version : Maxtor locked tightly

xvid
11-16-2003, 12:27 PM
I have a maxtor 6L080j4 (D740x) that was shiny and new. I plug it in a UTV ...took the 3.7 softwware....great.
Decided that I should swap with a larger drive and use it in my HTPC.....took it out plug in 120g.
Hook the 80G to computer ....Hd is locked...good.
boot it from UTV, swap ide cable, ran maxtor low level format, still lock by reboot.
boot from UTV, ran mhd3...still locked.
UTV boot....ran winhex, zeroed whole drive....locked.
swap the drive betyween 2 UTVs.....lights on drive stayed on overnight....should have finished in around 80 mins.

Help help help.

djohn
11-16-2003, 12:49 PM
You should be able to swap the 120 in, let the UTV marry it, then swap the 80 back into it and after it starts formatting it (blinking lights) then pull the IDE cable and let it run with the blinking lights for quite awhile. I think several hours will be sufficient but I usually just set it up and leave it overnight.

If you don't unplug the ide cable after the formatting starts the password will be reset in the drive and you will also have to redo your other drive install because the password will be changed.

UTV makes a new password for each drive and also for each time a drive is reinstalled if another drive was in the unit between the times. This keeps you from building a drive library with multiple drives and then swapping them to watch more shows or whatever.

be18driver
11-16-2003, 05:33 PM
Hook the HD that you want to unlock & zero out back up to your PC. You sometimes have to run mhd3 several times before it works. When mhd3 is completed just restart mhd3 and check to see if it says that your HD security is disabled. If it is not just run it again until it is. When the security is disabled remove the mhd3 floppy & reboot your PC and then use WinHex to write zeros to the HD because the mhd3 program does not toally zero out the HD. This will take the better part of a day to this ( 2 hrs mhd3 + 9.5 hrs WinHex on a 120g HD) but at least you will know that you will have a clean HD to reuse.

geminicat
11-16-2003, 08:36 PM
From my personal experiments with MHD3 after it claims it has unlocked the drive let it sit on the A prompt for 30 Minutes. I would be surprised if you do not find success. On the last 3 drives I have done if I aoutomatically remove and try to partition a UTV drive after MHD3 has stated it is done its never been unlocked. However if I let it sit for 30 minutes after the MHD3 says its done I have had no problems...

Keep us posted

apn64
11-17-2003, 12:06 AM
If a UTV locked this drive, then a UTV can and will be able to unlock it using the swap-method posted by djohn.

It's the only 100% guaranteed way to do it, and at ~1min/GB, it's probably faster than the software.

djohn
11-17-2003, 12:38 AM
Also, a note on zeroing drives in the PC using WinHex.

I am not positive that it had much to do with the death of a drive but when working on OS images in one of my boxes a drive that had been working fine died an untimely death after zeroing in WinHex. It simply became unstable and only would initialize occassionally, etc. Of course it was an IBM Deskstar (deathstar to anyone who has used them in PCs) but I just thought I would toss that info in here so people might use caution when zeroing a drive.

I believe that what happened is that winhex wrote zeros to sectors that were bad and caused something to go drastically wrong.

xvid
11-17-2003, 10:19 AM
Well it worked. I guess I was a bit impatient ...pulling the drive the first time before it was totally formatted. I did the swap method with 2 UTVs. I let it run overnight and this morning the flashing lights was gone. Hook it up to the pc....it was nice and clean. Thanks for all ur help.

I more question......what the smallest and largest drive you can use on a 490re????

djohn
11-17-2003, 11:27 AM
Largest it will use is 137 so either a 120 and waste no space or a 160 and don't use it all.

No idea about the smallest.