PDA

View Full Version : MFS_FTP on Series 2 Units

Pages : [1] 2

rc3105
02-17-2003, 10:58 AM
Jamie has graciously adopted the mfs_* support binaries and has been maintaining them at

Unified mfs_* tools (originally tridge vplay) (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39487)

FastEddieG
04-10-2003, 11:31 PM
The original thread is Mfs_Ftp: extract, archive, restore & transfer recordings (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21915&perpage=1)
This is for the specific discussion about MFS_FTP for Series 2 units.

It is important to understand that files/programs/binaries are compiled scripts for a certain platform. Most of the files in the tivo community are compiled for series 1 units, or PPC processors. Since series 2 units are powered by MIPS processors, we can only use files/programs/binaries compiled for the MIPS platform. Knowing that, we have to have MIPS versions of the MFS_FTP support binaries.

1) link removed

2)Transfer that file to your S2 unit, in /var/hack or a subdirectory in there of your choice, and uncompress it.

3) Next chmod +x the 5 files you uncompressed (mfs_export, mfs_ftp.tcl, mfs_stdinsert, mfs_stream, mfs_tarstream)

4) Now, we need to make sure the following is in your hackinit

PATH=/var/hack/bin:/sbin:/bin:/tivobin:/tvbin:.
TIVO_ROOT=
MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10
IGNOREEOF=1000
export PATH TIVO_ROOT MFS_DEVICE IGNOREEOF
(of course make sure hda10 is the correct mfs_device for your setup)

If the above is somewhere in your hackinit, you are ready for the next step.

If the above is not in your hackinit, add it and then restart your tivo.

5) Finally, launch mfs_ftp.tcl by typing ./mfs_ftp.tcl in the path where you originally uploaded the files.

6) You are ready to use MFS-FTP. Read the readme included in the tarfile.

Note.. I can download files around ~500KB/s via a Belkin 10/100 USB Ethernet adapter from my HDVR2 using mfs-ftp.

Thanks again for a great util rc3105, and thanks to omnius for porting it to MIPS.

Enjoy!
-Ed

edits: links updated & minor typos fixed

mckitrick
06-16-2003, 03:34 PM
FastEddieG - How do I determine my MFS partition?

David Bought
08-12-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by kalex
are u guys able to upload a show bigger than 524mb back to HDVR2? I still have a problem with the uploads.

Thanks

Alex

Recompile the executables you are using (particularly the insert program). There are many broken builds making the rounds which cause annoying problems like that. If you do not compile your own at least ask your sugar daddy for a statically linked version.

kalex
08-12-2003, 11:41 AM
Thanks for reply David,

Would you be kind enough and post a link to the latest compliled version of mfs_ftp for HDVR2 or email me the files? I don't have a unix box to compile my own version.

Thanks

Alex

kalex
08-13-2003, 01:49 PM
hey,

thanks for helping out. i found mips binaries and replaced the ones i had on my hdvr2. now i get a different error when trying to insert a show back to the HDVR2

here is the error message that i get:

00:01:12 - copying 1 meg per "."
......... 10 ......... 20 ......... 30 ......... 40 ......... 50 ......... 60 ......... 70 ......... 80 ......... 90 ......... 100 ......... 110 ......... 120 ......... 130 ......... 140 ......... 150 ......... 160 ......... 170 ......... 180 ......... 190 ......... 200 ......... 210 ......... 220 ......... 230 ......... 240 ......... 250 ......... 260 ......... 270 ......... 280 ......... 290 ......... 300 ......... 310 ......... 320 ......... 330 ......... 340 ......... 350 ......... 360 ......... 370 ......... 380 ......... 390 ......... 400 ......... 410 ......... 420 ......... 430 ......... 440 ......... 450 ......... 460 ......... 470 ......... 480 ......... 490 ......... 500 ......... 510 .00:10:59 - pong - mfs_ftp running on 192,168,0,95 : 3105
00:10:59 - entering update_rec_fsids
00:11:00 - getting current rec_fsids list
00:11:00 - rec_fsids doesn't match cached_rec_fsids, deleting cached info
00:11:00 - entering build_rec_list
00:11:00 - from mfs "/Recording/NowShowingByClassic"
00:11:01 - build_rec_LIST complete
bgerror invoked with error

" error writing "file18": broken pipe "

re-initializing mfs_ftp

close the currnet ftp connection and simply open another

00:11:02 - entering reset_mfs_ftp
00:11:02 - port 3105 control socket initialized - ready for connections

Any ideas?

thanks

alex

David Bought
08-13-2003, 05:06 PM
hey,

thanks for helping out. i found mips binaries and replaced the ones i had on my hdvr2.

Wow, it sounds like you jumped out of the frying pan, into the fire. :D

But don't mind me, I just posted clear explicit instructions on how to fix the problem, to hear myself speak. :D

kalex
08-13-2003, 05:12 PM
David,

i don't get it. Is mfs_ftp working for u or not? if it is can u post ur binaries? where did u post the instructions?

thanks

alex

David Bought
08-20-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by tivomoron
Is there someone with a "fix" for this problem, willing to post it for us none programing types? Please. I would really like to pull some stuff off on my machine but If I cant get it back on I may as well delete it.

For the love of God, it's a freaking C program. Is there NO LIMIT to how lazy you people can get??

This thread has been going on for WEEKS and you still have not taken the time to get off your duff and figure out how to compile a simple C program?? Nobody is asking you to code in C, learn MIPS ASM, or produce a netlist for the TiVo ASIC. The program in question can probably be compiled with a single command line.

When you finally arrive at the realization that your life of begging and leeching is getting you nowhere, click here (http://gcc.gnu.org/) to get started. You can thank me later.

tivomoron
08-21-2003, 10:31 AM
Thank you RC i'll give it a try.

To David BUTT,

Well… I don’t know much about programming but it seems to me that if the files we have were not compiled for mips they would not run at all. They run for a while, then they stop prematurely. So without the knowledge to “fix” them we are out of luck. If we all knew how to program there would be no need for these forums, we would all just do own programming and everything would work fine like yours does!

David Bought
08-21-2003, 11:08 AM
To David BUTT,

That was rude and uncalled for. Name calling and flaming is strictly prohibited here and you are liable to be banned if you continue.

Well… I don’t know much about programming but it seems to me that if the files we have were not compiled for mips they would not run at all. They run for a while, then they stop prematurely. So without the knowledge to “fix” them we are out of luck. If we all knew how to program there would be no need for these forums, we would all just do own programming and everything would work fine like yours does!

You need to educate yourself on the difference between compiling a program and writing a program. It should be obvious to everybody reading this that I did not write or modify the insertion program; I merely recompiled it to get it working, because the person who originally compiled the programs did so incorrectly.

But did you even bother trying to take this simple step? No, you continued to beg and whine. People like you are sending the average discussion quality on DDB down the toilet - that is why the gods are all defecting to alt.org. Is that what you want?

P.S. Is "David BUTT" the best insult you could come up with? Are you in third grade or something?

David Bought
08-22-2003, 04:30 PM
Unlike u RC3105 is being very helpful and me and others thank him for that. u on the other hand have nothing more to offer than ur crap that u are posting (read, search, blah blah blah). enough of this already. if u have nothing to contribute DON"T

You can thank me any time for telling you (oh, about two weeks ago) exactly how to fix the problem you guys were having. I generously posted the results of my troubleshooting and was immediately met with more begging and whining - as per usual.

If you are too lazy to figure out how to implement the solution (which as I said before is a simple gcc command line), whose fault is that? Heaven forbid you actually try to learn anything on your own instead of begging for handouts. If you don't want to lift a finger the least you can do for the rest of us is shut up about it.

You and your fellow leeches disgust me. If you don't want to figure things out on your own, get the hell out of here and go back to tivocommunity.com.

kalex
08-22-2003, 05:00 PM
David,

Let's not get personal. I can't seem to find the thread where u posted " I generously posted the results of my troubleshooting ".

the closest that i can find is the post that says to compile ur own version. U are right i don't know how to use gcc and i'll take a look at it and see if i can figure it out. when i posted the request for files i thought somebody would have them and post them for others to use. i don't see u writing ur own version of tivoweb or compiling them and other software. Do me a favor if u have nothing to say regarding questions in this thread don't waste ur time posting ur remarks as i and probably others don't feel like reading them. post them in the off topic section.

This would the last post on this subject from me.

Alex

David Bought
08-22-2003, 11:43 PM
I can't seem to find the thread where u posted " I generously posted the results of my troubleshooting ".

the closest that i can find is the post that says to compile ur own version.

1) What part of "Recompile the executables you are using (particularly the insert program). There are many broken builds making the rounds..." are you having so much trouble understanding? That post pinpointed the problem and told you exactly how to fix it.

2) I find it amusing in a sick way that not only did you not lift a finger to solve the problem yourself, but you also have no idea whatsoever what RC3105 did to solve the problem. In other words you went out of your way to avoid learning anything from this exercise. Way to go!

3) It's spelled "you". This isn't AOL.

dsboyce8624
08-24-2003, 03:38 PM
tsk, tsk, tsk,

Now, now children, please calm down or somebody might come in here and censure all of you for behaving like morons.

David did post a "fix" as he said. I can't say if it works because I don't have an S2 yet. (I'm poor)

I don't however think most people who have a teency little number of posts are up to the "compile your own" stage yet. And while I understand Davids frustration at the number of people who fall into that catagory, compounded by the number of people who simply don't want to do anything, I also think everybody has to start somewhere. After all, even noobs wanna play with the cool toys, right?

So it seems to me that everybody should just calm down and speak politely to each other. Otherwise everybody loses.

Those who have/know get pissed and don't anwser questions, and those who have legitimate questions get no answers.

----of course, as Dennis Miller would say, "That's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Dennis

kalex
08-24-2003, 09:20 PM
dsboyce8624,

I completely agree. I'm not a newbie by any means. I had SA1 and sony T60 before i got the s2. i put toghether those machines my self without any problems. To get back to the subject, i installed mips cross compile on my linux box. Question is this do i have to compile c code into mips executable or can i take a mfs_stdinsert and compile it to mips executable?

Alex

dsboyce8624
08-24-2003, 11:17 PM
Well, by definition, you compile source code. An executable is the product of that compiling.

D

kalex
08-24-2003, 11:38 PM
sorry guys i didn't make it clear what i was trying to say. I know that when one compiles he gets an executable. when i read David's statement he said to recompile the executables to mips. that's what i was trying to ask. i thought there was a way to do it. Sorry.

dsboyce8624
08-25-2003, 08:20 AM
No problem, no, you cannot recompile from an executable. You start with source code and compile for the processor you are using.

D

Copper Top
08-25-2003, 05:48 PM
Having s slight problem with mfs_ftp, need help, and yes i've searched. over and over.

this is the last line in my hackinit file:

#Mfs_ftp
/var/hack/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl &

seems like this is not starting up right, because nothing happens
and then i manually type it in at the bash prompt in telnet and than i get

00:00:00 - entering init_mfs_ftp
00:00:00 - entering background

and than i start up in my ftp, i get a error in telnet that says:

502 Command not implemented

and in my ftp i get a directory that says:

pheonix
shutdown
tmf and so on,

i dont think this is working right and if it is, how do i check it and or how does this part of the hack work?

Thanks for any help.

David Bought
08-26-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Copper Top
Having s slight problem with mfs_ftp, need help, and yes i've searched. over and over.

this is the last line in my hackinit file:

#Mfs_ftp

seems like this is not starting up right, because nothing happens
and then i manually type it in at the bash prompt in telnet and than i get

00:00:00 - entering init_mfs_ftp
00:00:00 - entering background

and than i start up in my ftp, i get a error in telnet that says:

502 Command not implemented

and in my ftp i get a directory that says:

pheonix
shutdown
tmf and so on,

i dont think this is working right and if it is, how do i check it and or how does this part of the hack work?

Thanks for any help.

Let's see, the ftp server is listening on port 21, accepting commands, and giving you directory listings. Tell me again what the problem is?

If the "command not implemented" error bothers you, find a simpler ftp client or write one by hand. mfs_ftp was intentionally written to be a minimal, lightweight ftp server and therefore it does not support most of the bloat added to the spec since RFC 542 came out.

SR712
08-26-2003, 09:15 PM
Copper Top-

It does look like it is working right. Thats what you should see. The 502 command not implemented is nothing to worry about. It is common to see that and similar errors when ftp clients and servers sometimes don't support all of the command sets.

If you go into the .tmf directory, you will see all of your recordings. You can just drag and drop one or more to your windows box. The different directories are just different file formats for the same recordings. There are threads here that explain that, and also I believe its in the mfs_ftp readme, too. Read the entire mfs_ftp thread. I know its long, and by the time you get to the end, most of what you read is either forgotten, or is irrelevant because it has been superceeded... But, it gives you the Big Picture, and lots of tidbits of info.

Enjoy.

Copper Top
08-27-2003, 08:43 AM
thanks alot, but the other problem i'm running into is that when i open my ftp server @192.168.1.225:3150 nothing happens or cannot connect, now i can connect Telnet and Ftp @ port 21
but not @3150 and this is my hackinit file,

# Mfs_ftp

but i can manually type it in @ telnet and it seems to work ok,
my question is: is my command line wrong or am i missing some thing in my hackinit file?

thanks

David Bought
08-27-2003, 11:16 AM
thanks alot, but the other problem i'm running into is that when i open my ftp server @192.168.1.225:3150 nothing happens or cannot connect, now i can connect Telnet and Ftp @ port 21
but not @3150 and this is my hackinit file,

# Mfs_ftp

but i can manually type it in @ telnet and it seems to work ok,
my question is: is my command line wrong or am i missing some thing in my hackinit file?

thanks

No, there is no telnet service running on port 21 if you are running mfs_ftp on port 21. You are wrong. tnlited runs on port 23.

If you aren't starting an ftp daemon or some other service that binds to port 3150 (or do you mean 3105?), you are not going to be able to connect to port 3150 (or port 3105) because nothing is listening for connections on that port. Simple.

Copper Top
08-27-2003, 12:36 PM
to clarify, i have bash when i connect with telnet and i can tranfer files when i connect with 192...........ip address@port 21.

and i'm trying to connect on 192.........ip address @port 3150 for mfs_ftp useing /var/hack/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl & in my hackinit file but it seem that it does not load because i can not connect.

now i can manually go into telnet and type:

cd /var/hack/mfs_ftp
mfs_ftp.tcl

and everthing seems to work fine,

now why can't my hackinit file load mfs_ftp?

David Bought
08-27-2003, 02:25 PM
now why can't my hackinit file load mfs_ftp?

Ah, now this is where your troubleshooting skills are put to the test.

Let's start making a list of the conditions which are different between running from "hackinit" and running from the command line after the system is up. I'll get the ball rolling for you and after you fill in the rest, you will know immediately what the problem is.

1) stdin, stdout, stderr are open file handles to a pty in a telnet session, and quite possibly go to oblivion from hackinit.

2) some environment variables are different

3) some processes/services are not running yet

4) you fill in the details! :D

Copper Top
08-27-2003, 03:02 PM
i appreciate the response to my problem, but i have no idea what your asking for in questions 1, 2 & 3, i just dont understand the terms your asking.

David Bought
08-27-2003, 03:29 PM
i appreciate the response to my problem, but i have no idea what your asking for in questions 1, 2 & 3, i just dont understand the terms your asking.

You should consult the google (http://www.google.com) search engine to find the meanings of any unfamiliar terms.

Copper Top
08-28-2003, 08:29 AM
yes, that what i fiqured out, but the instruction by:Mike Cobelli says to put it in there, so i guess its a mistake or something, anyway i did get it to run in that directory by useing a change directory and than ./mfs_ftp.tcl in the hackinit file, everything seems good to go, tonight i changing it to the var/mfs_ftp directory like it should be.

Thanks

tivomaster
08-28-2003, 08:40 AM
yes, that what i fiqured out, but the instruction by:Mike Cobelli says to put it in there, so i guess its a mistake or something, anyway i did get it to run in that directory by useing a change directory and than ./mfs_ftp.tcl in the hackinit file, everything seems good to go, tonight i changing it to the var/mfs_ftp directory like it should be.

Thanks

Actually there appears to be 2 versions. The one that cobelli has in his writeup runs from /var/hack/mfs_ftp.. I it was a specially coded version to run on series 2/hdvr2 machines.

The release version 128f runs from /var/mfs_ftp....

kalex
08-28-2003, 09:08 AM
yep. there is no special version. the version that was posted for hdvr2 is edited to point to /var/hack/mfs_ftp instead of /var/mfs_ftp. and its also older version of the script. you can take the latest one that rc3105 has released and set it to point to /var/hack/mfs_ftp and it will work fine.

alex

EDIT the "special version" cobelli & others have posted for s2's is a corrupted copy of an obsolete version & will do NASTY things to a 4.x box (like toast the drive)

use the current version from the main thread (s2 safe!) with the s2 binaries linked to at the start of this thread

David Bought
08-30-2003, 12:34 PM
Opening data connection IP: 10.2.185.216 PORT: 4527.
STOR Most Extreme Elimination2003-04-1908-28-2003 09.00 PMSPKE.tmf
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for "Most Extreme Elimination2003-04-1908-28-2003 09.00 PMSPKE.tmf"
Connection closed. Server timeout.
Connection closed. Server timeout.
PORT 10,2,185,216,17,176

It looks like you are communicating between two different private subnets. Have you checked your routing to make sure your configuration handles the special needs of the active FTP data connection correctly?

tivomoron
08-30-2003, 01:19 PM
Have you checked your routing to make sure your configuration handles the special needs of the active FTP data connection correctly?

Well, No. I dont know what the "special needs of the active FTP data connection" are.

Could you be so kind as to tell me?

I running running Win XP Pro with two other computers and my tivo through a hub. Using internet sharing and DHCP. I know very little about networks.

David Bought
08-30-2003, 03:22 PM
Well, No. I dont know what the "special needs of the active FTP data connection" are.

Could you be so kind as to tell me?

I running running Win XP Pro with two other computers and my tivo through a hub. Using internet sharing and DHCP. I know very little about networks.

I'll run through the process here briefly - but specifics of the configuration depend a LOT on what software/hardware you are using to do routing. For instance, appropriate settings for iptables (--state RELATED, etc.) are completely different from settings for ICS, or for a D-Link router, etc.

If you want to completely understand the POS that is FTP, see:

http://www.wu-ftpd.org/rfc/

In a nutshell, an active FTP transfer requires two TCP connections. The initial connection is called the "control" connection and it terminates at port 21 of the ftp server. Assuming your home network is 192.168.0.0/24 and your gateway (192.168.0.1 internally, 24.8.54.145 externally) connects you to the rest of the internet, let's say you are connecting to ftp.gnu.org to download the latest gcc so that you can get your cross compiler up and running:

(your ftp client connects from say 192.168.0.10:1234 -> 199.232.41.7:21)
< 220 GNU FTP server ready
> USER ftp
< 230 Login successful.
> SYST
< 215 UNIX Type: L8
> CWD /pub/gnu/gcc
< 250 Directory successfully changed
> TYPE I
< 200 Switching to Binary mode.
> PORT 192,168,0,10,197,9
< 200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
> RETR gcc-3.3.tar.gz
< 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for gcc-3.3.tar.gz (31046469 bytes).
(ftp.gnu.org opens a data connection from 199.232.41.7:20 -> 192.168.0.10:50441 and transfers the file)
< 226 File send OK.

Most of this is self explanatory. But take a look at the boldfaced line: your system is telling the gnu ftp server to connect to 192.168.0.10, port 197*256 + 9 (50441). This means that the ftp server is connecting back to your PC to transfer the file (your ftp client has opened port 50441 to get the file data). But guess what, 192.168.0.10 isn't a routable IP address - there is no way for the ftp server on the public internet to connect to that address. The trick is that your router, 192.168.0.1, needs to sniff the FTP control connection to see that your PC is opening port 50441 and sending the PORT command to the remote ftp server. It then needs to open a port on its own external network interface (the ip address assigned to your cable modem or whatnot) to accept this ftp data connection, add an entry into its NAT table to forward this incoming connection back to 192.168.0.10:50441, and then modify the PORT command to point to the correct port and the correct routable (external) IP address.

Therefore the control connection traffic seen by the gnu ftp server probably looks quite a bit different, as it has been rewritten by your router:

< 200 Switching to Binary mode.
> PORT 24,8,54,145,78,31
< 200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
> RETR gcc-3.3.tar.gz
(ftp server opens a connection 199.232.41.7:20 -> 24.8.54.145:19999, which your router accepts and forwards to 192.168.0.10:50441)

So if whatever you are using to route between your 192.168.x.x network and 10.x.x.x network is not correctly intercepting and rewriting the ftp control connection, you will need to find out why. I would recommend the use of tcpdump and/or ethereal to sniff the wire (particularly the ftp control connection) so you can see what is going on.

DjPK
09-03-2003, 01:31 PM
How can I find out if they are still scrambled?

I have the kmem \d+ \d+ command in my rc.sysinit.

I don't have the numbers handy but its straight from the tutorial s2 from bash to exctraction.

So if they are scrambled then that would prevent mfs_ftp from sending the ty file? It would cause it to reset the ftp server right after the transfer is initiated?

Thanks by the way for the prompt response.

David Bought
09-03-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by DjPK
How can I find out if they are still scrambled?

This does not apply to the autoscramble mod.

Attempting to play back a scrambled stream with the noscramble patch properly applied will fail.

Attempting to play back an unscrambled stream with the noscramble patch NOT applied will fail.

So if you think you made an unscrambled recording, turn off the patch and see if you can play it back with scrambling re-enabled.

DjPK
09-03-2003, 06:51 PM
ok i did some testing and it seems that the kmem command is doing nothing on my setup.

I have a 3.0 monted 4.0 setup.

i was running kmem from rc.sysinit
/bin/kmem 800b23b4 00001021

so i commented it out and rebooted.
I could still see all of my files correctly.
So i then telnet into the box and issued the command
manually.
./kmem 800b23b4 00001021

it just dropped down to the next line with a bash prompt. No output. So i then tried to play a vidio that had been recorded. It still played fine.

Is that the correct command?

Paul Kraus
SAS2 - Stand Alone Series 2 60 Hours

David Bought
09-04-2003, 12:06 AM
ok i did some testing and it seems that the kmem command is doing nothing on my setup.

I have a 3.0 monted 4.0 setup.

i was running kmem from rc.sysinit
/bin/kmem 800b23b4 00001021

I don't know what you mean by "3.0 monted 4.0 setup," but if you are using that command on a 2.4.18 kernel, stop now before you lose data.

Xanthio
09-04-2003, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by David Bought
I don't know what you mean by "3.0 monted 4.0 setup," but if you are using that command on a 2.4.18 kernel, stop now before you lose data.

The problem I have here is that you obviously know what he's talking about when he said that, you're just giving him a hard time because you don't like the way he said it.

I have no problem when people deserve a reaming ... I frankly didn't even pay attention to this thread at first until I saw someone mention elsewhere that it might contain useful information ... I glossed by it because of the volume of people who think "u" is a word I saw posting within the first couple pages. If you want to ream them feel free ... but if you're just going to give people a hard time to get your jollies, I might point out that your posts are about as useless as the aforementioned butchers of the English language.

I found no specific references to the 4.0's kernel revision for kmem however I tried the first thing I read in a Series 2 FAQ (and yes, I realize the software revisions would be different, but I didn't see anyone mentioning different parameters elsewhere so I tried it because that's the tried-and-true way to find out if it works with that version or not, try) ... it didn't work, I stopped trying it and went back to reading.

I remembered reading some discussion of kmem in the "Series 2 people out of luck" thread so I went back and re-read, and in fact there were different parameters discussed there. The kmem line quoted in the discussion there was:

kmem 800bf958 00001021

I tried that. Things seem to be functioning as expected, existing recordings would not play back, nor would new recordings until I replaced tivoapp with the one I modified (thanks to MuscleNerd's information).

I got directed to this thread as I was searching for answers to problems I've been having with extraction tools. I noticed a thread DjPK had started about MFS_FTP problems on the SAS2. Someone said there that the information should be found contained in this thread. So far all I see is dozens of David Bought posts flaming people.

I don't actually see any reference to the problem DjPK originally posted about though so I can't see why he was directed here except that he posted about mfs_ftp and people were (kinda) discussing it here. When attempting to use mfs_ftp to download from the tivo, mfs_ftp just errors out and restarts mfs_ftp on the tivo side. I'd like to see some actual feedback about this...

00:03:45 - echo to verify: RETR 510338 Parnell - .ty
00:03:45 - entering RETR - retrieve video
00:03:45 - 150 About to open data connection.
00:03:45 - entering dump_xml
00:03:45 - fconfigure
00:03:45 - entering buildty
00:03:45 - fsid list is "510337"
00:03:45 - extracting part "510337"

" child process exited abnormally "

re-initializing mfs_ftp

close the currnet ftp connection and simply open another

00:03:46 - entering reset_mfs_ftp
00:03:46 - port 3150 control socket initialized - ready for connections

So what should I be looking for? The tmf file can be grabbed but anything else just causes mfs_ftp to restart as shown above.

I was also looking over the Client/Server tyTools mentioned in the "Complete HDVR2/DSR7000" How-To and while I am not particularly shocked that the files referenced in that HOWTO didn't work on my SAS2 I am not sure what to make of why as I'm not intimately familiar with the TiVo's streams.

I'd suggest that a new thread for discussing 4.0 SAS2 unit extraction tools seems to be in order but if I started one I'd likely just get linked to five threads that had nothing to do with the subject matter and/or flamed for suggesting something so vexatious as sharing information with those who are more interested in functionality than learning how to build a tivo from scratch with nothing more than old toaster parts and some glue.

-X

David Bought
09-04-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Xanthio
The problem I have here is that you obviously know what he's talking about when he said that, you're just giving him a hard time because you don't like the way he said it.

I have no problem when people deserve a reaming ...

That was not a reaming. If the post doesn't apply to you, MYOFB.

The poster appeared to be using a 2.4.4 kernel patch on a 2.4.18 kernel. Corrupting random parts of kernel memory, especially near the IDE subsystem, can be an easy way to lose data. As mentioned several times in the original 2.4.4 kmem post (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=21142&highlight=extreme+caution+corrupt+data+800b23b4), you need to be careful when you apply binary patches to your kernel, and you should verify that the code you are patching is what was expected. What you don't understand can hurt you.

I'd suggest that a new thread for discussing 4.0 SAS2 unit extraction tools seems to be in order but if I started one I'd likely just get linked to five threads that had nothing to do with the subject matter and/or flamed for suggesting something so vexatious as sharing information with those who are more interested in functionality than learning how to build a tivo from scratch with nothing more than old toaster parts and some glue.

I strongly suggest changing your tone. We have no use for your whining or your negativity here. If you want to contribute something to the community, sh*t or get off the pot.

And as for your negative comments that were apparently leveled at developers - you have no right whatsoever to dictate their goals and interests. If you don't like the work that we do, go create your own TiVo board and write your own damn hacks.

DjPK
09-04-2003, 05:27 PM
David all meant to say was that i am using the monte hack to 1st load the 3.0 software and then the 4.0 software. I have no idea which of these versions uses what kernel. You could at least correct me rather then just leaving me to speak in an ignorant way. I am here to learn. I am not some windows noob. I admin 3 linux servers however i have never worked in linux in a manner like this or have i ever been one to look at the kernel or such....

But I am trying to learn even beyond the use of the tivo.

I think a seperate thred for discussion on stand alone series 2 may be usuable. but will continue to post where i have been as to avoid attack.

David Bought
09-04-2003, 05:50 PM
David all meant to say was that i am using the monte hack to 1st load the 3.0 software and then the 4.0 software. I have no idea which of these versions uses what kernel.

cat /proc/version

In this case, you are booting the 2.4.4 kernel and using monte to boot the 2.4.18 kernel.

This is the sort of thing you need to educate yourself about if you are going to be using kmem to patch kernel memory. It is a very simple, blunt, unforgiving tool. In fact, any time you cross the user/kernel barrier, the tolerance for error goes down dramatically.

Following a "guide" will often get things set up the way you want them, but when something breaks you need to do your research and figure out what's going on behind the scenes, or else your problem won't be going away.

David Bought
09-11-2003, 11:13 PM
No I didnt hear a thing. Like most people here I ignor most of he posts. Its seldom helpful.

I think when we find problems and point them out it helps the programers to "polish" their work. Its not bitching.

1) Problems with your broken build of mfs_stdinsert have nothing to do with Riley's program and they are not his problem. Fixing this problem does not count as "polishing" his program.

2) Problems with your broken build of mfs_stdinsert have nothing to do with the original author's program and they are not his problem. The source code is 100% correct and anybody with half a brain can recompile it to get a good build.

3) You ignore most of my posts because you are too lazy to take any helpful advice which would solve your problems (if they involve doing work). You have the classic "don't wanna" personality and you will go nowhere in life.

Most users come here knowing very little about the TiVo. Some, like cobelli, work to improve their understanding of the subject matter and attempt to contribute back to the community. Others, like you, don't lift a damn finger except to complain. Your continued existence here is a detriment and an insult to the forum.

David Bought
09-11-2003, 11:42 PM
I installed cross compile on my linux box. can somebody point me to the source code of mfs_stdinsert so i can try to compile it?

-DTIVO is probably a bad idea.

-static is probably a good one.

Juppers
09-15-2003, 01:05 PM
Ok, after finding a different box to put the compiling environment on, I am still having issues. I can compile mfs_export and such fine, but mfs_import will not compile. On both machines it give the follow errors. Anyone know what I'm not doing right?

mfs_stdinsert.c:186:16: warning: multi-line string literals are deprecated
mfs_stdinsert.c:186:16: warning: multi-line string literals are deprecated
/root/tmp/cchnROso.o: In function `mfs_fsid_pwrite':
/root/tmp/cchnROso.o(.text+0x60): undefined reference to `mfs_load_inode'
/root/tmp/cchnROso.o(.text+0x5c4): undefined reference to `mfs_write_sectors'
/root/tmp/cchnROso.o: In function `import_file':
/root/tmp/cchnROso.o(.text+0x834): undefined reference to `mfs_readahead'
/root/tmp/cchnROso.o(.text+0x84c): undefined reference to `mfs_fsid_size'
/root/tmp/cchnROso.o: In function `main':
/root/tmp/cchnROso.o(.text+0xd04): undefined reference to `mfs_init'
/root/tmp/cchnROso.o(.text+0xd24): undefined reference to `mfs_resolve'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

ronnythunder
09-15-2003, 01:48 PM
juppers, i have a good build environment; where's the source, i'll crank one out.

ronny

Juppers
09-15-2003, 01:53 PM
Here are the sources I'm using.

ronnythunder
09-15-2003, 03:28 PM
well, that's obviously not the code that is used to build mfs_stdinsert for ppc, because there's not even an mfs_stdinsert.c (for starters). but, there is a patch to mfs_import.c that seems to be designed to create mfs_stdinsert.c; however, the mfs_import.c source is not compatible with the rest of the mfs code within.

after some digging, i made some changes and here are the binaries. if anyone can test (particularly mfs_stdinsert) and report back, i'd appreciate it. if they work, i'll package up my source changes as well (they're minor).

ronny

Juppers
09-15-2003, 03:35 PM
Yep. That mfs_stdinsert seems to work. The import and stdinsert code is what I was able to dig up from searches here and on alt.org. The rest of the mfs stuff was what David Bought included in his post the other day. I will try the insert with a large file and see if that works. The one I had would stop at 512megs.

ronnythunder
09-15-2003, 03:42 PM
ok, good news so far, then. here's my sources:

ronny

Juppers
09-15-2003, 03:50 PM
Yep. it has successfully inserted a program that is 800+ megs. Smooth sailing so far. I can't wait til I get home to actually verify the programs play and all that. :)

ronnythunder
09-15-2003, 04:01 PM
:) you must be the in the same boat as me. i ssh to my w2k box at home from work, then do pcanywhere. i even have a capture card that i could use to catch the vid from the tivo, but of course, it uses directx and i can't see it on pcanywhere :(

so i, too, can do all kinds of stuff from work, i just can't see the results if it means looking at the vid.

doh!

ronny

alldeadhomiez
10-02-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by NutKase
Again. Does anyone know what the consequences of not having setpri running are? I'm under the impression that I'll have recordings skipping or tivo 'program watching' errors if I'm extracting at the same time.

NutKase

That is a potential consequence, if you are starving tivoapp of CPU time or I/O bandwidth. I'm not sure how much changing the priority will help with the latter.

I have attached S2 binaries for getpri/setpri/nicepri.

Juppers
10-02-2003, 11:36 AM
I want to publically thank ronnythunder and alldeadhomiez for their contributions of S2 compiled binaries. Without their gifts, I wouldn't be extracting and importing stuff with my HDVR2. Thanks a bunch fellas. Your efforts have not gone unnoticed. :)

jstaple2
10-10-2003, 01:34 PM
I have a S1 DTivo with mfs_ftp working, and a S2 DTivo with mfs_ftp working, but when I copy a stream from the S1 to the S2 I get video and no sound. I have searched through the forum, but can't find anything about this. Is it possible to copy a stream from a S1 to a S2 DTivo?

Juppers
10-12-2003, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by jstaple2
I have a S1 DTivo with mfs_ftp working, and a S2 DTivo with mfs_ftp working, but when I copy a stream from the S1 to the S2 I get video and no sound. I have searched through the forum, but can't find anything about this. Is it possible to copy a stream from a S1 to a S2 DTivo?

From what I have seen so far, sometimes audio will work, and sometimes not. I know S2 streams are slightly different than S1 streams in formatting, so it may just be something the current binaries know how to handle.

DocTauri
10-15-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by jstaple2

I have 2 T-60's and one HDVR2, I have not been able to play S1 files on the S2 yet (same thing, video, no audio), but I can play them the other way (S2 -> S1).

Doc

mavrcksd
10-15-2003, 01:46 PM
Well:

What I have found, that if I record something that doesn't have the DOLBY in the program guide, then it will work no problem on my Phillips SA1 .

I too am having some issues with older VCR -->SA1 -->playing on HDVR2.

SO. What I may do, is re-encode on the HDVR2 from VCR, so it works on both.

SteveT
10-19-2003, 05:22 PM
I have 1.2.9F working fine on my HDVR2. I have d/l'ed and u/l'ed shows in .TY+ and .TMF formats. The speed is the same as my previous setup, but I really like being able to specify the file naming and SUID setting.

To upgrade, I unzipped the file from the first post and copied just the scripts over my existing setup, overwriting a few and adding several.
It didn't work, giving me what looks like the same error you were getting.
I then replaced the mfs_stdinsert and mfs_export files with ones from ronnythunder's post (back a ways in this thread), and it worked fine. :cool:

If there's something specific I can check for you, or some way I can help, let me know.

As always, big thanks to RC3105, ronnythunder and all others who contribute so unselfishly to make these tools available to the rest of us.

TiVoByte
10-21-2003, 09:24 PM
Steve

By any chance have you tried moving files from an S1 to S2? If upgrading to 1.2.9 fixes the audio, I'd persue it!

Thanks

RS

David Bought
10-21-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by TiVoByte
Steve

By any chance have you tried moving files from an S1 to S2? If upgrading to 1.2.9 fixes the audio, I'd persue it!

Thanks

RS

What part of "mfs_ftp doesn't alter the ty stream" are you having trouble understanding?

binkatl
10-24-2003, 12:26 AM
This message sits squarely on the fence between a newbie and an extraction question, so I hope I made the right decision in putting it here... if it's too basic a question, please let me know and I'll repost to the newbie board.

I have (pretty much) successfully installed MFS_FTP on my HDVR2 machine. I'm able to access the Tivo and see the recorded shows listed in several different formats.

I've think I have determined, through several hours of reading this board and several others, that for my purposes (which is to archive shows to my PC for later retrieval to the Tivo, no DVD or extraction involved) the proper format I should be retrieving is the .tmf format. First, is this correct? Or should I be going after .ty files?

Ok, so assuming that I need the .tmf files for this purpose, here's my problem. MFS_FTP won't let me retrieve files from the tmf directory. I can easily retrieve files from the ty directory. I did a test retrieve, and got an entire, complete file on my PC. However when I tried to send the file back to the Tivo, it stalled out seconds after beginning, and eventually quit.

I'm guessing that, chances are, I don't have something set up properly. But I don't know enough about this to know where to begin. I've read and reread all the threads on this subject, but I feel like I'm running in circles. I don't expect anyone to hold my hand, but I thought maybe someone had been here before and could shed some light on this for me.

Thanks! I hope to hear from you soon.

- Blake

sanderton
10-24-2003, 05:06 AM
Not really enough clues to offer any useful advice there, Blake. More info needed.

SteveT
10-24-2003, 10:22 AM
I was sort of hoping someone would provide a compelling reason to use the .TMF format, as I also had the vague feeling that they're "better" somehow.

However, binkatl, my usage is similar to yours (archive to PC for later reinsertion, no DVDs or MPGs involved), and I use the .TY+ format, and it works great!

Since the Tivo menus slow down with numerous recordings, I've found it very effective to use this method, loading up my PC instead of my Tivo.

Your problem with .TMFs might be related to a bad mfs_tarstream object, but I cannot find any reason to use that format vs. the .TY or .TY+. YMMV.

As an aside, I also use the mplayer program to view recordings directly from the PC. I've also experimented with d70's Media Player filter. Both work great!

Thanks to all those who provide such excellent tools for us.

binkatl
10-24-2003, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the replies. I tried transferring a ty+ file after reading SteveT's post. Again, the file downloaded to my PC with no problems. However, I still have the problem when I try to send back to the Tivo, of the file transfer stalling out.

Here's some more specific information about my setup:

The transfer stalls every time after 278,528 bytes.

I'm using gFTP on a Redhat Linux machine (this doesn't mean I really know that much about Linux, I'm just starting to learn about it).

MFS_FTP version is 1.2.9F. Is this the most recent version? If not, where can I find a more current version? rc3105, you said that MFS_FTP has had tyfile support for months. Would this version apply to that?

Also, I am using a HDVR2. I know there has been a LOT of discussion about compiling for MIPS, and I've only been able to follow a small portion of it. Most of it goes straight over my head (although little by little, I'm struggling to understand it). Is there a definitive answer, without having to dig through pages and pages of flames and irrelevant posts, to how I can either get the MIPS compiled version, or how I can compile it myself? I downloaded a file posted by rc3105 called s2bins.tgz, from the alt.org forum, and replaced the other files with the ones from this version. Was this the right thing to do? rc3105, I'd really appreciate some clarification on this. Thanks!

I hope to hear from soemone soon, and maybe start getting this figured out.

- Blake

SteveT
10-24-2003, 02:16 PM
I'm also running 1.2.9F on a HDVR2.

There is a log file port.3105.log which might provide some more info for you.

Another suggestion would be to replace the mfs_stdinsert and mfs_export files with ones from ronnythunder's post in the last few pages of thread (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23424). Those got 1.2.9F going for me.

Good luck.

binkatl
10-24-2003, 02:51 PM
Wow, that did it! Thanks so much! Incidentally, I only replaced the two files you mentioned, although there were several more in that package you linked to. Do you recommend I also replace the other ones, or should I leave well enough alone now that it's working?

Also, a couple other questions... first, I'm wondering about your comment, SteveT, about .TMF files seeming to be somehow "better." Can anyone verify this? Is there a suggested method to use for transferring files back and forth between Tivo and PC, or will any one of the formats work?

Also, and this is probably a very simple one but I haven't been able to find the answer anywhere yet... how do you shut down mfs_ftp once it is up and running? so far I've had to do an actual restart every time I want to quit the mfs_ftp server.

Thanks again for all the help! It's so great to be able to ask a question, and get a straight, simple answer. I love this stuff!

- Blake

SteveT
10-24-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by binkatl
Do you recommend I also replace the other ones, or should I leave well enough alone now that it's working?
I'm not sure what the others do, but they didn't look to be used by MFS_FTP, so I ignored them.

how do you shut down mfs_ftp once it is up and running?
Just try to download the "shutdown.txt" file. That'll end it nicely.

SteveT
10-29-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by tiivohoe
I have tried three sets of files with version 1.2.9 and can’t get it to run completely. Others seem to be having trouble as well.

My question is: If other members have 1.2.9 working properly why doesn’t someone pack up there entire mfs_ftp directory and make it available so everyone can enjoy the benefits of the new version? Whatever they are?

I think the script files would be best left in place in RC3105's original thread, but I'll post the S2 binaries which work for me on my HDVR2. These work with mfs_ftp 1.2.9F.

tiivohoe
10-29-2003, 10:40 AM
Thanks Steve,
I can't look at the files from here, but could you or anyone else tell me: besides the .tcl file what other files in RC's .tgz will I need, if any? Just want to keep things as clean as I can.

SteveT
10-29-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by tiivohoe
Thanks Steve,
I can't look at the files from here, but could you or anyone else tell me: besides the .tcl file what other files in RC's .tgz will I need, if any? Just want to keep things as clean as I can.

I've no idea. I copied everything out of the .tgz (including the subdirectories), then replaced the binaries. Seems pretty clean to me. :cool:

Note: Since I was upgrading, I left the fifo alone, so if you're starting from scratch, you might need to create it.

tiivohoe
10-29-2003, 10:00 PM
Steve,
These files worked. @ last! Thanks again.

sgp
11-02-2003, 01:07 PM
I've read a few posts regarding "no audio" on recordings transferred from an S1 to an S2.
I'm also experiencing this, and I'm able to transfer the tmf back to the S1 and the audio is ok.
I'm wondering if this is what everyone is getting?
Is anyone having success?

sgp
btw, these are both dtivos.

Ceer123
11-09-2003, 03:35 PM
SGP -

I am transferring from S1 to S2 and I only get audio when the show on the S1 is reocrded in Dolby Digital. I guess there is no fix for this problem......

11-10-2003, 10:53 PM
Also getting no audio transferring from DS1 (Sony T-60 2.5.2) to DS2 (HDVR3).

Juppers
11-13-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by AlphaWolf
I remember dealing with differences between 2.5.X streams and 3.X streams a while back...perhapse 3.X streams will have audio on S2 units in all circumstances?

I'll save you some time. NOPE. :)
I haven't tried a 3.1.0b stream though. Hmmmm.....

pyrodex
11-19-2003, 01:26 PM
just tried everything to get mfs_ftp 1.2.9 working on my Series2 SA and still drop connection when going to download a stream. Could someone with a working latest mfs_ftp on S2 SA put up a file? Ill offer hosting of the file for permant time if need be. A Tar of the directory would be awesome =D

rc3105
11-19-2003, 07:48 PM
then I get to sue the isp for hosting an unauthorized distribution :mad:

several people have created all sorts of problems by hosting old or corrupted versions or the script & support files. here's how you steer clear of accidently nuking your tivo

get the official tar from the main thread - install it per the include instructions

if you have a S2, replace the s1 binaries with the s2 versions linked at the beginning of this thread

if you have problems, post to the relevant thread (s1/s2)

11-20-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by rc3105

should work, if not an official s2 distribution wouldn't have worked either - check your monte setup & re-read this thread for ideas

Riley--Several of us have found no audio when inserting from a DTivo S1 to S2 (not dolby digital). Is this something the latest release fixed? I read the readme and I see you made some changes to the TMF format, not clear if this issue was specifically addressed.

rc3105
11-21-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by newbie
Riley--Several of us have found no audio when inserting from a DTivo S1 to S2 (not dolby digital). Is this something the latest release fixed? I read the readme and I see you made some changes to the TMF format, not clear if this issue was specifically addressed.
s1 & s2 dtivos record regular audio differently. mfs_ftp just moves the data around, it doesn't transform it

11-21-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by rc3105
s1 & s2 dtivos record regular audio differently. mfs_ftp just moves the data around, it doesn't transform it

if I ever get a s2 dtivo I may look writing an audio stream repair util, but don't hold your breath

Thanks for confirming the problem, after going through bad instructions (Cobelli) and several different S2 binaries I'm glad to hear I'm not doing anything wrong. Thanks for all the work you've done.

NutKase
11-27-2003, 06:33 PM
I'm inserting 463mg of 812mg into .k right now. It looks ok for now and I'll let you know.

2 Things to pass along:

1.) I've had several aborted attempts and...

NO message#86 or To Do List problems. I did have several 'zombies' that I've been rebooting to clear. I'll figure out a better way later.

2.) The auto detect code in tzoffset.tcl worked fine and seeing how you did it is giving me ideas. Is there a resource/documentation for mfs somewhere that I'm missing?

NutKase

rc3105
11-27-2003, 06:54 PM
read through all the cool hacks here & on tcf (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/index.php?s=)

read through the scripts that ship in the tivo

read through the various tivoweb modules

use tivoweb to browse mfs & easily see what's what

learn how to program in tcl - tivosh exports a tcl api to the mfs database

read through the source on tivo's site (http://www.tivo.com/linux/index.html) - a working knowledge of linux & the ability to dissasemble/trace binaries is also handy

make a backup & start writing scripts that poke things in mfs :D

*attached is a dump of the tcl commands & procedures from an extreme'd 2.5.2 t-60. easy to get - the code to dump it is a beginning tcl programming excercise

rc3105
11-29-2003, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by NutKase
Is your site tivostuff? If so where did this come from:

set info(version) "1.2.5.1" ;# 0-10, 10 == slowest

I'm still having the insert abort after 512meg, I guess STILL because of a bad binary. I'll recheck the hundred or so I have and report back :)

NutKase

mfsftp_S2.zip on tivostuff.com is version 1.2.5.1 which is seriously out of date and will NOT insert on s2's even with good binaries (dunno if those binaries are good or not)

NutKase
12-07-2003, 10:16 PM
Try the binaries from mrblack51 which are included in rc3105's post below.

They work.

NutKase

mmoore99
12-19-2003, 02:19 AM
Edit...Problem resolved. I forgot that I had commented out the KMEM patch in my rc.sysinit.author file. After enabling the patch everything works as expected.

Using mfs_ftp I extracted a file from Tivo to my PC using ty+, manually deleted the file on the Tivo and then re-inserted the file from the pc to Tivo using mfs_ftp. Now when I attempt to play the file or delete the file the Tivo reboots. The details are as follows:

1. Upgraded HDVR2 to 4.o using Sleeper's iso.

2. Patched tivoapp to disable scrambling.

3. Deleted the mfs_ftp files that were installed by Sleeper's iso.

4. Installed the latest mfs_ftp "1.2.9p"

5. Installed the statically linked S2 binaries that were posted by rc3105 in the previous post.

6. Started mfs_ftp.

I did not receive any errors when extracting or re-inserting the file.

I am not sure where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated. Also, any suggestions as to how to delete the offending file.

Thanks.

AbMagFab
12-19-2003, 01:40 PM
I think you should be extracting/inserting TMF files (not TY+). Works fine for my on my 3.1.1b DVR-40.

mmoore99
12-19-2003, 01:56 PM
I edited my post above to explain that my problem was resolved.

Extracting and re-inserting ty+ files works fine.

jonbig
01-01-2004, 12:03 AM
I finished installing the Sleeper monte hacks on my HDVR2 and now I'm seeing weird behavior trying to upload a show back onto the HDVR2.

I updated the mfs_ftp to version 1.2.9p and installed in in /var, and installed the S2 binaries. I recorded a 1/2 hour show, and extracted it with mfs_ftp as a .tmf, deleted in on the HDVR2, and then tried to insert it back. Twice now, in apparently the same place (99% complete), the upload hung, and the HDVR2 stopped responding to pings, telnet , FTP, anything. It was still alive, and I could see the show in the now playing list as an incomplete recording, but when I deleted it, it still remained in the now playing list.

I had to reboot the HDVR2 to get TCP/IP to work again.

I'm using a NetGear FA120 with the ax8817x.o module.

Any ideas how to proceed debugging this problem?

jonbig
01-01-2004, 01:07 AM
I tried uploading with FTP set to both passive and active mode...same result.

jonbig
01-01-2004, 04:06 AM
Just tried it again with a different show that was about 450MB rather than the previous show of 525MB. This one worked.

Why? I don't know.

jonbig
01-02-2004, 09:48 PM
More experiementing trying to upload shows. This time, I tried to upload an hour long show, and it failed (blowing away TCP/IP, requiring a TiVo reboot) twice at 20% and 35%.

Since I was using gftp, which has a throttle feature, I tried throttling back the max transfer rate to 300kB/sec, and it worked, although it took about 1hour20 of real time to transfer an hour show.

Another weird thing happened during the failed transfers. I was watching the news live, and suddently the system acted like I was pressing Select over and over again! I put my HDVR2 into standby for the transfer that worked.

Wierder and weirder.

rc3105
01-12-2004, 01:11 AM
Ok, I have been beating my head against the wall on this problem for 3 days now. I have searched the forums and cannot locate a solution.

I have a Series 2, 60 hour Tivo with 4.01 software. I used Sleeper's ISO to hack an 80Gb hard with Linksys USB200 NIC which works great! But I can't get video off the Tivo!?!?!? I followed your thread on the subject using mfs_ftp. Ok, it auto starts and I can connect to the Tivo via 192.168.0.10:3105. I have tried WS FTP and Filezilla in non Passive mode. And they keeps disconnecting from the Tivo.... This only seems to happen on the .TY files. I can pull the smaller files off, like the .bat, etc...

However on the tivoftp that runs on port 21, you can push and pull large files but I cannot find .TY files on the normal FTP.

I don't know if this has anything to with my problem or not, but about 2-3 hours of the Tivo being on my network drops out, I cannot connect via Telnet, FTP, or ping on 192.168.0.10, which is static. However, looking on my DHCP server, it shows the Tivo as having an address of 192.168.0.4, which I can ping and connect to with FTP or Telnet... But it is really flakey.

Here is what I get when I connect to the Tivo on 3105 and try to pull video off.

Status: Connected with 192.168.0.4:3105. Waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220 Mfs_Ftp ver 1.2.9p - {sock24} from "192.168.0.25:2290"
Command: USER anonymous
Response: 331 User name okay, need password.
Command: PASS *****
Response: 230 Running in TiVo Mode.
Command: PWD
Response: 257 "/" is current directory.
Command: CWD ty
Response: 250 Directory change successful.
Command: PWD
Response: 257 "/ty" is current directory.
Command: PORT 192,168,0,25,8,245
Response: 200 PORT command successful.
Command: TYPE A
Response: 200 Type set to I
Command: LIST
Response: 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.
Error: Disconnected from server
Error: Could not retrieve directory listing

Any ideas???? Thanks! -Sheldon
forwarded from pm

sheldonw
01-13-2004, 06:16 AM
First off, Thanks for pointing me to this thread. Don't know how I missed it!?!?

However I am still having issues with the TY files. I pull them off the Tivo, they look right... About 2.8Gbs a pop... But when I use Tytools to try to make a key file or convert them to a VOB, it makes through part of the file then cuts off. So I get a 212Mb VOB file or when I run them through Glob Editor, I only get the first 5-10 minutes and it just cuts off.

What gives? They are unscrambled and they play fine on the Tivo... I have tried pulling down a TY and TY+(which gave me audio issues as well) files. All give me the same error.

Here is what I'm working with to recap from my PM to RC.

S2 SA 4.01 with 80Gb hd. I used Sleeper's ISO to image and hack the new drive. I have a Linksys USB200 NIC. The Tivo is using mfs_ftp on port 21 for OS and mfs_ftp on port 3105 for video. All looks like it is working right.

I have also rem'd out the ipconfig line in my rc.sysinit.author, so I'm not running dual IP's any more... It was getting an IP from my DHCP server as well as using the static IP I set up during the configuration. ???

On the PC side I am using Filezilla, WS-FTP, and TyTools 8r3a running on XP Pro.

Thanks for the help! Here is the dump from TyTools...

Detected Tivo Type: Series2
Detected Audio Stream Type: MPEG Layer II
Final standardAudioSize = 592
Final standardFrameLength = 576
Final standardAudioDiff = 2160 or 00:00:00.024
First Video PTS: 00:00:02.075
......... 100......... 200......... 300......... 400......... 500

......... 600......... 700......... 800......... 900......... 1000

......... 1100......... 1200......... 1300......... 1400......... 1500

......... 1600......... 1700......... 1800......... 1900......... 2000

......... 2100......... 2200......... 2300......... 2400......... 2500

......... 2600......... 2700......... 2800......... 2900......... 3000

......... 3100......... 3200......... 3300......... 3400......... 3500

......... 3600......... 3700......... 3800......... 3900......... 4000

......... 4100......... 4200......... 4300......... 4400......... 4500

......... 4600......... 4700......... 4800......... 4900......... 5000

......... 5100......... 5200......... 5300......... 5400......... 5500

......... 5600......... 5700......... 5800......... 5900......... 6000

......... 6100......... 6200......... 6300......... 6400......... 6500

......... 6600......... 6700......... 6800......... 6900......... 7000

......... 7100......... 7200......... 7300......... 7400......... 7500

......... 7600......... 7700......... 7800......... 7900......... 8000

......... 8100......... 8200......... 8300......... 8400......... 8500

......... 8600......... 8700......... 8800......... 8900......... 9000

......... 9100......... 9200......... 9300......... 9400......... 9500

......... 9600......... 9700......... 9800......... 9900.........10000

DiffTime = 293.281014 (293281) == 4.888017 Minutes

total = 2738756743 (2611 MB)

NutKase
01-13-2004, 09:37 AM
The Tivo is using mfs_ftp on port 21 for OS and mfs_ftp on port 3105 for video.

Just to clarify. You're not connecting to mfs_ftp when you connect to port 21. You're connecting to tivoftpd which is a normal ftp server and just allows you to look around the tivo OS. Mfs_ftp is the server you're connecting to on port 3105 which allows you to manipulate your video files.

Good catch on getting rid of the dual ip's. Also, I'm not sure about your tytools issue but it seems that mfs_ftp is working fine for you. Confirm this by extracting a couple of files and maybe inserting one or two. Meanwhile, you might try the extraction threads for tytool help if you haven't already.

NutKase

BTUx9
01-13-2004, 03:30 PM
More experiementing trying to upload shows. This time, I tried to upload an hour long show, and it failed (blowing away TCP/IP, requiring a TiVo reboot) twice at 20% and 35%.

Since I was using gftp, which has a throttle feature, I tried throttling back the max transfer rate to 300kB/sec, and it worked, although it took about 1hour20 of real time to transfer an hour show.

gftp seems to have some "issues" connecting to mfs_ftp (at least the version that comes with RH8 -- v2.0.13). The problems seem to happen most often with recordings >512M (more than 1 chunk, when starting the download of the 2nd chunk), but can occur randomly, also. Because of your success with throttling, I wonder if it might have to do with a delay while creating the next chunk (re-invoking mfs_stdinsert, I believe).

Jonbig: I've had the same issue with "blowing away tcp/ip". I'm able to reestablish networking using the serial connection, by running:

ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 up
After a few seconds, it even restores existing telnet sessions.

When mfs_ftp aborts mid-transfer, it creates a zombie entry, which sometimes interferes with NPL. A reboot usually clears this, but I was wondering if anyone knows a way to remove them without needing to reboot.

sheldonw
01-13-2004, 04:31 PM
Just to clarify. You're not connecting to mfs_ftp when you connect to port 21. You're connecting to tivoftpd which is a normal ftp server and just allows you to look around the tivo OS. Mfs_ftp is the server you're connecting to on port 3105 which allows you to manipulate your video files.

Good catch on getting rid of the dual ip's. Also, I'm not sure about your tytools issue but it seems that mfs_ftp is working fine for you. Confirm this by extracting a couple of files and maybe inserting one or two. Meanwhile, you might try the extraction threads for tytool help if you haven't already.

NutKase

You are correct! Sorry about that. TivoFTP is running on port 21 and mfs_ftp is on 3105.

Also I have tried several different shows... all with the same results. Don't get it as I can view them fine on the Tivo. Could this be a new "feature" with 4.01??? Has anyone extracted video from a S2 SA 4.01??? umm successfully! ;-)

Thanks!

jonbig
01-13-2004, 06:38 PM
Jonbig: I've had the same issue with "blowing away tcp/ip". I'm able to reestablish networking using the serial connection, by running:

ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 up
After a few seconds, it even restores existing telnet sessions.

When mfs_ftp aborts mid-transfer, it creates a zombie entry, which sometimes interferes with NPL. A reboot usually clears this, but I was wondering if anyone knows a way to remove them without needing to reboot.

Cool. The last time I hung TCP/IP, I tried pulling out the USB network adapter with the intent to reinsert it, but that just resulted in a reboot of the DTivo. :(

Now I've got a serial cable, so I'll try your "down/up" trick. If that works reliably, I'll have to install vnc on my laptop so that I can access the serial link remotely from work. :)

Zombie process entries won't die until the parent process reaps them or dies itself. The correct fix is to fix mfs_ftp to detect the abort and kill/reap the child process.

BTUx9
01-13-2004, 09:12 PM
Zombie process entries won't die until the parent process reaps them or dies itself. The correct fix is to fix mfs_ftp to detect the abort and kill/reap the child process.
I didn't think it was a process, I thought it was just an unfinalized entry in mfs. No zombies processes show up using "ps aux" (not sure if they would, though).

NutKase
01-13-2004, 11:25 PM
Could this be a new "feature" with 4.01??? Has anyone extracted video from a S2 SA 4.01??? umm successfully! ;-)

Yes. Read my signature. I've extracted and burned using 4.01. Keep trying to narrow down the problem. I'll say this again, I think you have a tytools problem. At least your post seem to indicate that you can extract fine then your problem occurs with tytool or 'cutting'. Read the tytools/extraction thread for more help.

NutKase

rlowe
01-14-2004, 12:36 AM
I finished installing the Sleeper monte hacks on my HDVR2 and now I'm seeing weird behavior trying to upload a show back onto the HDVR2.

I updated the mfs_ftp to version 1.2.9p and installed in in /var, and installed the S2 binaries. I recorded a 1/2 hour show, and extracted it with mfs_ftp as a .tmf, deleted in on the HDVR2, and then tried to insert it back. Twice now, in apparently the same place (99% complete), the upload hung, and the HDVR2 stopped responding to pings, telnet , FTP, anything. It was still alive, and I could see the show in the now playing list as an incomplete recording, but when I deleted it, it still remained in the now playing list.

I had to reboot the HDVR2 to get TCP/IP to work again.

I just went through the same excersise and I am experienceing the same issues. It seems there is no patter. I have been able to u/l shows successfully but maybe 50- 60% of the time the kill mfs_ftp and telnet. I have to reboot to get it back and the now playing list is 'cleaned up'.

I am more concerned with getting mfs_ftp to function properly than to have an alternative to rebooting to recover.

Are you getting consistent results from the throttle back? I mean its already pretty slow to u/l. I am at ~ 500 kb/s without a throttle back.

R.

ronnythunder
01-14-2004, 01:53 AM
nutkase, what kind of speeds are you getting? i've got a hdvr2 with 4.0, usb200m and the usb 2.0 stack loaded. i can download with mfs_ftp at about 1.5mbytes/sec, and i get about 650-700mbytes/sec upload. is this about the best we can expect?

ronny

NutKase
01-14-2004, 10:13 PM
nutkase, what kind of speeds are you getting?

I think that's about what you can expect. I'm on USB 1.x wireless so mine are about 800 down and half that up. I guess it's time to put on some USB2.0 drivers but I haven't had time to read up on it.

Are you wired? One of mine is right beside my router right now... I could plug it up and check I guess.

NutKase

ronnythunder
01-15-2004, 12:03 AM
yep, wired. tivo -> usb200m -> linksys 10/100 switch -> pc

i mentioned (earlier in this thread iirc) the semi-convoluted method needed to get the usb 2.0 drivers loaded. i suppose it could be done by other means, but i think mine is the cleanest way. if you just want to do a test, though, you can just rmmod the 1.1 drivers and insmod the 2.0 stack.

i've also tried playing around with the priorities and throttle in mfs_ftp, but haven't gotten any big gains.

ronny

jonbig
01-16-2004, 12:27 AM
I just went through the same excersise and I am experienceing the same issues. It seems there is no patter. I have been able to u/l shows successfully but maybe 50- 60% of the time the kill mfs_ftp and telnet. I have to reboot to get it back and the now playing list is 'cleaned up'.

I am more concerned with getting mfs_ftp to function properly than to have an alternative to rebooting to recover.

Are you getting consistent results from the throttle back? I mean its already pretty slow to u/l. I am at ~ 500 kb/s without a throttle back.

R.

I've done some more investigation, and it appears to be a bug in the ax8817x driver. Right before TCP/IP hangs, the kernel outputs a message like:

ax_rx_callback: URB status -71

which comes from the ax8817x driver.

I've had some luck running the following script while transfering:

while true; do
sleep 10
ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 up
done

which resets the ethernet driver and allows the transfer to continue, but that isn't reliable either, since sometimes it kills the mfs_ftp connection instead, and it's hung my TiVo twice. :(

It looks like I'm going to have to set up a cross-compile environment so I can recompile the ax8817x driver and debug this thing the hard way.

rlowe
01-17-2004, 10:22 AM
I've done some more investigation, and it appears to be a bug in the ax8817x driver. Right before TCP/IP hangs, the kernel outputs a message like:

ax_rx_callback: URB status -71

which comes from the ax8817x driver.

Hmmm. Yep I have the same except mine is status -79. I can't quite correlate the time. Next time it happens I will make a note of the time and verify that it is happening right before the port hangs.

I am getting a message in my mfs_ftp log like this:
" error reading "sock24": connection timed out "
Then it restarts mfs_ftp but the tcp/ip hangs so I cannot connect.

I am using the USBM200 adapter.

Let us know what you find.

Randy.

mconn
01-17-2004, 12:45 PM
I have spent most of the night searching for the answer to this, and am at the end of my rope. I have a SD-DVR40, upgraded to a 160 gig, formatted to 137 using MaxBlast III. Montied using Sleeper's ISO, removed the mfs_ftp from his install and installed the latest linked from the beginning of the main thread, then removed the non-S2 files and replaced with S2 files, and started mfs_ftp using "/var/mfs_ftp.tcl" in my "author" file.

I connect fine on port 3105, but when I download, I get a repeating directory downloaded, and after about 10 seconds my ftp client crashes.

I have tried using IE, can navigate fine to the .ty, .ty+, and .tsh directories, but again there I see an endless number of directories - each time I click on a file name, another window opens with the same set of directory names as at the first, in an endless cycle.

All that appears to be there are directories, not files. They play back fine on the Tivo, so obviously I have something configured wrong.

Any ideas?

TIA!

Mark

sanderton
01-17-2004, 08:10 PM
I have tried using IE, can navigate fine to the .ty, .ty+, and .tsh directories, but again there I see an endless number of directories - each time I click on a file name, another window opens with the same set of directory names as at the first, in an endless cycle.

All that appears to be there are directories, not files. They play back fine on the Tivo, so obviously I have something configured wrong.

You're not looking at a real directory structure: mfs_ftp sends a "virtual" directory listing to the FTP client based on a database of the Now Showing list it has in memory. There are no actual .ty files on the TiVo's hard disk.

Make sure the client you use is single threaded; mfs_ftp can't del with multi_threaded clients liek IE. SmartFTP works well.

pyrodex
01-17-2004, 08:40 PM
Have 4.0.1 hacked with Sleepers ISO. Installed the mfs_ftp 1.2.9p with the S2 binaries at the beginnning of this thread. Everything started up ok and I was able to pull of a Test stream. I then deleted it from the ftp command line and then attempted to reinsert the .tmf file. It uploaded fine and the logs lead to no errors. But in the now playing list its not in the folder it used to be its alone in the main list. If I go to play it its fine, however I can not change the delete options. I get a Error #86. I saw nutkases sig and noticed the mrblack mfs_import but it seems those are included the files I downloaded. Any ideas why I would get a #86?

rlowe
01-19-2004, 11:26 AM
Hmmm. Yep I have the same except mine is status -79. I can't quite correlate the time. Next time it happens I will make a note of the time and verify that it is happening right before the port hangs.

Randy.

I did some testing this weekend and it does appear that the message corresponds to tcpip hanging.

Point me toward a cross compiler and I will help out.

R

Goines
01-19-2004, 12:24 PM

Randy.

Right now I have two Series2 Tivos. On, hdvr2, one SA both are running 4.0.1 with usb2.0 drivers from Nobody for USB200M adapters. They work fine, but when I start sending a lot of data over mfs_ftp (transfer an episode, etc), I get the same problem.

I think the drivers ported to kernel 2.4.4 could this make a difference (as isn't 4.x running 2.4.18) ?

Thanks

rlowe
01-19-2004, 06:00 PM
Right now I have two Series2 Tivos. On, hdvr2, one SA both are running 4.0.1 with usb2.0 drivers from Nobody for USB200M adapters. They work fine, but when I start sending a lot of data over mfs_ftp (transfer an episode, etc), I get the same problem.

I think the drivers ported to kernel 2.4.4 could this make a difference (as isn't 4.x running 2.4.18) ?

Thanks

I am on an HDVR2 and I am at 3.1b which should be 2.4.4 right?

R.

Goines
01-19-2004, 06:44 PM
I am on an HDVR2 and I am at 3.1b which should be 2.4.4 right?

R.

Yep, S2 3.x OS is 2.4.4 S2 4.x OS is 2.4.18 (i think).

So I'm just wondering if this could be causing a bunch of us problems. Except that if people on 2.4.4 are having the problem too, then perhaps it's the drivers themselves.

cdma
01-19-2004, 10:07 PM
So after reading through all the posts is it safe to say that if you are transfering from s1 to s2 that more then likely you will not get sound

rlowe
01-19-2004, 11:33 PM
So after reading through all the posts is it safe to say that if you are transfering from s1 to s2 that more then likely you will not get sound

Not true. I have an old Philips 112 and I pulled a bunch of stuff off to the PC and u/l to the HDVR2. If it gets past the error mentioned earlier then its all good.

R.

kungpaomaster
01-20-2004, 02:21 AM
Not sure if it was mentioned yet...

When replacing the files from MrBlack's recompiled set onto a Sleeper's ISO monted using 4.0 image. The "mfs_import" file must be renamed to "mfs_stdinsert"

Extraction and insertion of ty files working great here.

cdma
01-20-2004, 05:41 AM
What I would not give for someone to post step by step directions with a tar ball with the exact files for 3.1.1b for a s1 and s2 with a recommended ftp groram with the correct settings to be able to transfer files from a s1 to a s2 and have those files moved and play and HEAR the recording. I have spent so many hours trying to get this to work and very close to giving up.

rc3105
01-20-2004, 05:57 AM
the mfs_ftp tar in the main thread has all required files for s1 sa/dtivo versions 2.x & 3.x

s2.bins.tar.zip at the start of this thread has s2 binaries that have been verified on EVERY s2 sw version (even some not released yet ;))

the audio in s1 dtivo recordings is kinda wierd & will NOT play on s2 dtivos, other than that you can move recordings pretty much anywhere you want

(one note, dtivo recordings can't be burned when transferred into a s2 sa dvd burner combo allthough they will play fine)

kungpaomaster
01-20-2004, 11:05 AM
I hit a snag when I first played with mfs_ftp. The latest .tar file does work fine for the 3.1. My issue was with my rc.sysinit.author. There are a few enviroment settings that must be declared. Once I put those in, mfs_ftp worked fine. Just have to dig for those. Also, there are 2 flavors of the .tcl file used by mfs_ftp. One uses port 3150 and another uses 3105. Make sure you verify which one is being used in the .tcl file and connect to that port. Again, another search of the DDB threads. I wish I could point to an exact thread. Everytime I see something useful, I immediately implement and backup so I know I have the latest and greatest for my needs and I don't have to try to remember what thread it was in.

rc3105
01-20-2004, 11:36 AM
the "flavor" that runs on port 3150 is a CORRUPTED copy of a seriously ancient version posted by an inept guide writer - it will do horrible nasty things to a s2 (like ruin mfs)

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! (again)

01-20-2004, 12:12 PM
What I would not give for someone to post step by step directions with a tar ball with the exact files for 3.1.1b for a s1 and s2 with a recommended ftp groram with the correct settings to be able to transfer files from a s1 to a s2 and have those files moved and play and HEAR the recording. I have spent so many hours trying to get this to work and very close to giving up.

Riley posted that there are 4 Tivos (SA1, SA2, D1 and D2) and 2 versions of audio (regular and DD). Some combinations work and some don't. D1 to D2 with regular audio gets no audio. D2 to D1 seems to work fine. Upgrading to 3.1.1b (D1) doesn't help.

cdma
01-20-2004, 06:22 PM
the mfs_ftp tar in the main thread has all required files for s1 sa/dtivo versions 2.x & 3.x

s2.bins.tar.zip at the start of this thread has s2 binaries that have been verified on EVERY s2 sw version (even some not released yet ;))

the audio in s1 dtivo recordings is kinda wierd & will NOT play on s2 dtivos, other than that you can move recordings pretty much anywhere you want

(one note, dtivo recordings can't be burned when transferred into a s2 sa dvd burner combo allthough they will play fine)
I think that the sigh was because of me. I think I have it now. I have a dtivo 1 and dtivo2. When I copy from the dtivo 1 to the dtivo 2 I get no sound. Based on your message I will not get any sound. Has anyone EVR got this to work. Is there another fix? I saw a few messages that have different flavors of the files and I think that someone said that it works. Anyone?

Iwish I could get this to work. This is the main reason I networked these boxes. There has just got to be a way.

rc3105
01-21-2004, 03:10 AM
there is, either modify s2 tivoapp to recognize ds1 streams or modify the streams to be compatable with s2 tivoapp

best bet is #2, and I know what needs to be done, but there's only so many hours in the day 'n bills to pay... (don't hold your breath)

Iago
01-27-2004, 12:40 PM
Transferring files from 3.1b HDVR3 to 4.0 HDVR3.

In transferring a file from 3.1b to 4.0 through MFS_FTP the shows are no longer "groupable" in the 4.0 folder system and much of the actor, director, and tv rating information is lost.

The following lines marked with an @ are in the 3.1b xml, but not in the 4.0 xml; the line marked with $ is in the 4.0 xml, but was not in the 3.1b xml:

<?xml version="1.1" tivoversion="3.1.1b-02-2-151"?>
<Object type="Recording" id="_top">
<BitRate>0</BitRate>
@ <CancelDate>12436</CancelDate>
@ <CancelTime>57691</CancelTime>
<SubObject type="RecordingPart" id="Part">
<Begin>0</Begin>
<CommercialSkipOffset>0</CommercialSkipOffset>
<End>1839502</End>
<File>622068</File>
</SubObject>
<Begin>1841587</Begin>
<End>3529023</End>
<File>622087</File>
</SubObject>
<Begin>3531325</Begin>
<End>3598792</End>
<File>622147</File>
</SubObject>
$ <RecordQuality>100</RecordQuality>
<SelectionType>3</SelectionType>
<SubObject type="Showing" id="Showing">
<Date>12443</Date>
<Duration>3600</Duration>
<Object type="Program" id="Program">
@ <Actor>Nucci|Danny</Actor>
@ <Actor>Hudson|Ernie</Actor>
@ <Actor>Sandoval|Miguel</Actor>
@ <Actor>Schuldt|Travis</Actor>
@ <Actor>Vidal|Christina</Actor>
@ <Actor>Winters|Scott William</Actor>
@ <Actor>Luner|Jamie</Actor>
@ <Actor>Shanian|Charlie</Actor>
@ <Actor>Zediker|Kara</Actor>
@ <Actor>Lee|Will Yun</Actor>
@ <Actor>Calloway|Vanessa Bell</Actor>
@ <Actor>Coleman|Monique</Actor>
@ <Actor>Christian|Shawn</Actor>
@ <Actor>Coleman|Porscha</Actor>
@ <Actor>Brady|Derrex</Actor>
@ <Actor>Kennedy|Page</Actor>
@ <Actor>Duckworth|Charles</Actor>
@ <Actor>Smith|Megan</Actor>
@ <Actor>Garcetti|Eric</Actor>
@ <Actor>Buzzington|Ezra</Actor>
@ <SubObject type="ApgProgram" id="ApgProgram">
@ <Category>11403639</Category>
@ <Category>11403644</Category>
@ <Category>11272297</Category>
@ <Category>11272316</Category>
@ <Category>11272332</Category>
@ </SubObject>
@ <Bits>393216</Bits>
@ <DescLanguage>English</DescLanguage>
<Description>Rico and Barnes meet star-crossed lovers at the center of a violent clash between rival gangs; the deputies must find dates for a charity ball.</Description>
<Director>Wright|Thomas J.</Director>
<EpisodeTitle>Love Don't Love Nobody</EpisodeTitle>
@ <Genre>375</Genre>
@ <Genre>380</Genre>
@ <Genre>105</Genre>
@ <Genre>124</Genre>
@ <Genre>140</Genre>
@ <IsEpisode>1</IsEpisode>
<OriginalAirDate>12442</OriginalAirDate>
@ <RootServerId>A001d54bc</RootServerId>
@ <Object type="Series" id="Series">
@ <Genre>375</Genre>
@ <Genre>380</Genre>
@ <Genre>105</Genre>
@ <Genre>124</Genre>
@ <Genre>140</Genre>
@ <ServerId>ATSH593110</ServerId>
@ <ServerVersion>0</ServerVersion>
@ <ThumbData>268566912</ThumbData>
<Title>10-8</Title>
@ <TmsId>SH593110</TmsId>
</Object>
@ <ServerId>A001d60b0</ServerId>
@ <ServerVersion>1</ServerVersion>
@ <ShowType>5</ShowType>
@ <Title>10-8</Title>
@ <TmsId>EP5931100016</TmsId>
@ <TvRating>4</TvRating>
@ <Writer>Zamacona|Jorge</Writer>
@ <Writer>St. Clair|Louis</Writer>
@ </Object>
<Object type="Station" id="Station">
@ <Affiliation>ABC Affiliate</Affiliation>
<CallSign>PO2</CallSign>
<Name>PO2</Name>
@ <ServerId>AStation10334</ServerId>
@ <ServerVersion>25</ServerVersion>
@ <TmsId>10334</TmsId>
</Object>
<Time>36300</Time>
</SubObject>
<StartDate>12443</StartDate>
<StartTime>36298</StartTime>
<StopDate>12443</StopDate>
<StopTime>39900</StopTime>
<StreamFileSize>1074176</StreamFileSize>
@ <SubPriority>20</SubPriority>
<UsedBy>1</UsedBy>
</Object>

The transfer causing the first line:
<?xml version="1.1" tivoversion="3.1.1b-02-2-151"?>
to become:
<?xml version="1.1" tivoversion="4.0-01-2-240"?>

I think as a result of the loss of <TmsId>EP5931100016</TmsId>, 4.0 does not recognize the show and does not group it.

I tried to edit the new xml and MFS_FTP it into the xml folder with no success.

Any ideas on why all of this information is lost in the transition?

sanderton
01-27-2004, 01:51 PM
Obvious question, but are you running the latest mfs_ftp on both machines?

The mfs_ftp code just dumps all attributes of the recording object and its linked Showing, Station etc to XML, with the exception of some specific exclusions.

Iago
01-27-2004, 07:49 PM
Obvious question, but are you running the latest mfs_ftp on both machines?

Running latest mfs_ftp as of today (1/27/04) - mfs_ftp1.2.9p with s2 files:
mfs_ftp.1.2.9p.tar.zip - tar file dated 12/18/03
s2bins.tar.zip - tar file dated 12/17/03

Also - TivoWebPlus Pre9 (should not come into play, but is runnning in background)

Both machines - this is actually the same machine with two seperate hard drives - swapped back and forth for testing.

rc3105
01-27-2004, 09:25 PM
Transferring files from 3.1b HDVR3 to 4.0 HDVR3.

In transferring a file from 3.1b to 4.0 through MFS_FTP the shows are no longer "groupable" in the 4.0 folder system and much of the actor, director, and tv rating information is lost...

Any ideas on why all of this information is lost in the transition?

1) please read the appropriate thread before asking redundant questions - not all info is restored into mfs, never has been. read the main thread for why. /var/mfs_ftp/cache contains the complete xml from inserts, extracting an inserted recording will produce the same file as the original extraction == no generational losses

2) please ask questions in the mfs_ftp thread (s2 thread in this case)instead of cluttering the forum by starting new ones

*merged into correct thread

sliles
01-29-2004, 10:49 PM
I lose my tcp/ip connection on my Tivo after some time when using mfs_ftp or musclenerd's tserver with tytools. I have a SA Series 2 modified with Sleeper's ISO. I have the latest MFS_FTP etc. installed. I am using a D-Link router and USB connector. I am also using the latest OS 4.0.1.b etc.
I know from this post some other folks were having problems of this type too. Is anyone actively looking into it?
Unfortunately I'm a newb, still learning and of very little help here; but I'll pitch in if I can.
Thanks,
Steve

BTUx9
01-30-2004, 01:32 PM
I lose my tcp/ip connection on my Tivo after some time when using mfs_ftp or musclenerd's tserver with tytools. I have a SA Series 2 modified with Sleeper's ISO. I have the latest MFS_FTP etc. installed. I am using a D-Link router and USB connector. I am also using the latest OS 4.0.1.b etc.
If you have a serial connection, try typing

ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 up
If that brings your tcp/ip back, then it's a known issue some people are having with usbcore... I don't know if anyone is working on it, tho.

jonbig
01-30-2004, 06:29 PM
If you have a serial connection, try typing

ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 up
If that brings your tcp/ip back, then it's a known issue some people are having with usbcore... I don't know if anyone is working on it, tho.

I've got in in my queue to work on it, but my spare time isn't copious at the moment.

Pete Ruttman
02-03-2004, 06:19 PM
I have been successfully extracing TMF files from my HDVR2 for a few months successfully. The one issue I am having is that my tivo will freeze sometime in the next 24 hours if I do not reboot the tivo which removes MFS_FTP from memory.

Yesterday I downloaded the latest mfs_ftp and dumped the S2 files over the s1 versions and extracted 15gb successfully. Then within a hour of the finish my tivo was frozen.

Anyone else experiencing this like me? Any solutions?

Pete Ruttman

Hi8
02-03-2004, 06:26 PM
I have been successfully extracing TMF files from my HDVR2 for a few months successfully. The one issue I am having is that my tivo will freeze sometime in the next 24 hours if I do not reboot the tivo which removes MFS_FTP from memory.

Yesterday I downloaded the latest mfs_ftp and dumped the S2 files over the s1 versions and extracted 15gb successfully. Then within a hour of the finish my tivo was frozen.

Anyone else experiencing this like me? Any solutions?

Pete Ruttman

not sure how your "s1" binaries could have even worked it the first place?

I've got a S2 hacked via sleeper's ISO tivoscripts (1.01) and have extracted files more that 24hrs ago without a problem... Not sure why any of that should change ?

have you tried shutting down then restarting after your done? , to see it that changes the symptoms?

Pete Ruttman
02-03-2004, 06:34 PM
I was just being clear that I wiped out and redid the install of mfs_ftp based on the directions. I wanted to try a fresh install before posting. I never used the s1 binaries on the s2.

If I reboot my tivo after I am done extracting I do not freeze.

I believe I used sleeper 1.01 as well. I'll doublecheck the cd-rom when I return home.

Pete

BTUx9
02-03-2004, 06:49 PM
Have you tried shutting down mfs_ftp (by xferring shutdown.txt) instead of a reboot?

Hi8
02-03-2004, 06:51 PM
I was just being clear that I wiped out and redid the install of mfs_ftp based on the directions. I wanted to try a fresh install before posting. I never used the s1 binaries on the s2.

I believe I used sleeper 1.01 as well. I'll doublecheck the cd-rom when I return home.

Pete

I was not referring to a "reboot" but a 'shutdown' ,via the FTP client - using the provided 'folder = shutdown' changing to that folder will shutdown MFS_FTP.

BTUx9
02-03-2004, 07:36 PM
Just for clarification, when you say the Tivo freezes, what exactly do you mean?

Pete Ruttman
02-03-2004, 10:14 PM
by freeze I mean that the tv screen freezes at whatever it was doing and the remote cannot change it. It looks identical to pausing live tv except that it can't be unpaused. Also, I can't ping to telnet the tivo anymore.

pete

Pete Ruttman
02-03-2004, 10:15 PM
I was not referring to a "reboot" but a 'shutdown' ,via the FTP client - using the provided 'folder = shutdown' changing to that folder will shutdown MFS_FTP.

No, I haven't tried that. I usually just reboot but sometimes I am not hope to do a reboot. I'll try that thought.

pete

Ulm
02-13-2004, 04:04 AM
First off, kudos to Riley for such a nifty server.

I am, however, having problems with downloaded ty files. The files appear to download correctly, using just command line ftp (with passive off, and BINARY mode), and mplayer can play the .ty files. The problem is that it although the .ty files appear to the the correct size (~600-700MB for 1/2 hour video), mplayer or any .ty processing tools (TyTool, Vsplit) will only play/process the first 512MB or so, and ignore the rest of the file.

I know this isn't a common problem, or more people would have mentioned it. Here's what I've done so far to troubleshoot the issue:

- Reinstalled mfs_ftp from scratch, using the mfs_ftp.1.2.9p.tar.zip file from the main thread, and the s2bins.tar.zip binaries from this thread. No change.

- Tried downloading .ty files using TyTools and tserver. They appear to work just fine, and result in a complete and playable .ty or mpeg2 file. I also notice that the .ty file downloaded this way is slightly larger than the one downloaded through mfs_ftp

- used command line ftp and ncftp to download (linux). No change.

- Checked all variables in my rc.sysinit.author file according to the readme.txt.

- Read all the mfs_ftp threads i could find. :)

I'm at a loss as to what else it could be. I'm on an S2 DTivo (Phillips DSR 7000) with the monte hack.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Ulm

cojonesdetoro
02-13-2004, 03:27 PM

I am, however, having problems with downloaded ty files. I'm at a loss as to what else it could be. I'm on an S2 DTivo (Phillips DSR 7000) with the monte hack.

Suggestions?

Did you try downloading as TMF and run the tmf-to-ty converter?

If that works, it may be a problem with one of the S2 binaries that mfs_ftp uses to stream a ty file.

Ulm
02-13-2004, 08:03 PM
Did you try downloading as TMF and run the tmf-to-ty converter?

If that works, it may be a problem with one of the S2 binaries that mfs_ftp uses to stream a ty file.

Hmmm. Downloading the TMF file and running it through tmf2ty_cfg.exe does in fact work. The resuting .ty file is also slightly shorter than the downloaded .ty file,. by about 44 bytes.

Any suggestions where to go from here?

cojonesdetoro
02-13-2004, 10:02 PM
Any suggestions where to go from here?

my .02$

I'm not sure about the difference in size but I know that Riley puts some xml data at the end that most ty-compatible applications ignore. mfs_ftp uses the data for all the Tivo related stuff (title, genre, actors, etc.).

Maybe tmf2ty does things differently resulting in the 44 byte difference? Try comparing the last kilobyte of the file in a hex editor.

mfs_ftp has some configurable debug levels. Crank it up to the max and see if there are subtle errors that are not stopping the download but potentially corrupting the file. It's no surprise that the problem happens at 512m. I believe the Tivo stores recordings in 512M 'chunks'. Watching the mfsftp logs shows how it inserts each 512M chunk seperately.

Make sure your using the latest versions of the s2 binaries. 'mfs_export, mfs_tarstream,etc'.

BTW: I ain't no expert at this stuff (this double negative is really just a negative) so even .02$ is a high appraisal.

cojonesdetoro
02-13-2004, 10:04 PM
ABTW: Make sure your FTP client is downloading in binary. It could be adding a LF for each of the 44 CR it saw. I would thinkin that it would find a whole lot more bytes with that value in a multiGB file but ya never know.

Ulm
02-14-2004, 12:09 AM
my .02$

I'm not sure about the difference in size but I know that Riley puts some xml data at the end that most ty-compatible applications ignore. mfs_ftp uses the data for all the Tivo related stuff (title, genre, actors, etc.).

Make sure your using the latest versions of the s2 binaries. 'mfs_export, mfs_tarstream,etc'.

BTW: I ain't no expert at this stuff (this double negative is really just a negative) so even .02$ is a high appraisal.

Yeah. I'll try cranking up the debugging this weekend, but otherwise everything should be good. BTW, Riley has said elsewhere that the .ty files and the output of the tmf -> ty conversion should be exactly the same.

I guess I'll have to suffer by downloading .tmf files... :)

Thanks

mmoore99
02-14-2004, 02:14 AM
Yeah. I'll try cranking up the debugging this weekend, but otherwise everything should be good. BTW, Riley has said elsewhere that the .ty files and the output of the tmf -> ty conversion should be exactly the same.

I guess I'll have to suffer by downloading .tmf files... :)

Thanks

Ulm,

I can't offer any advice, but just to let you know that you are not alone, I am experiencing the same problem that you have described. I have no idea where to go from here either.

Vegas
02-14-2004, 10:02 AM

I am, however, having problems with downloaded ty files. The files appear to download correctly, using just command line ftp (with passive off, and BINARY mode), and mplayer can play the .ty files. The problem is that it although the .ty files appear to the the correct size (~600-700MB for 1/2 hour video), mplayer or any .ty processing tools (TyTool, Vsplit) will only play/process the first 512MB or so, and ignore the rest of the file.

Ulm

I had the same problem, found a fix and was able to repair the ty files. Posted
it all but the posts seem to be gone. So I'll restate.
There is extra data getting into the ty & ty+ files on download.
To repair your existing files load the file into a hex editor and search for these
16 bytes of hex data [50 72 69 6F 72 69 74 79 20 73 65 74 2E 2E 2E 0A] this will read Priority set.... on the asci side. Delete this data at all occurances.
Save the file. The file will now play and process all the way through.

I fixed the problem by installing a different set of s2 binaries, don't remember
where I got them but the file name is mfs_ftp_s2_binaries.zip. Theye are
still here somewhere so just do a search.

Ulm
02-14-2004, 08:18 PM
The file will now play and process all the way through.

D'OH! I just deleted the corrupted files. Oh well. Thanks.

wildbill65
02-25-2004, 04:42 PM
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=7][COLOR=DarkRed]
I would like to coment on videoextraction.Is it not possible to just output the video & audio output of your Tivo to an Analog Video capture card and burn it to DVD with a quality DVD Buirning Proggy.........Please SlapMe in the Head if Iam Stupid..................

BTUx9
02-25-2004, 05:03 PM
Is it not possible to just output the video & audio output of your Tivo to an Analog Video capture card and burn it to DVD with a quality DVD Buirning Proggy.....
Possible: yes
But, there are a number of reasons people prefer transferring directly, here are just a few of them:
1) your method requires transfer in realtime with the computer and tivo basically being unusable while it's happening
2) when you re-compress video, it results in quality loss. This is especially true with directivos, where the video is already very highly compressed
3) for direct capture, you need the tivo and computer reasonably close, or risk even more degradation
4) realtime transfers are much more susceptible to interruptions (someone using the tivo remote... the computer receiving email... that sort of thing)

As I said, these are just a few of the reasons off the top of my head, there are sure to be many others.

ratlhead
02-26-2004, 02:26 AM
Hi all...this is probably a newbie question, but I've searched the last several hours and can't find a solution, so let the flaming begin if necessary. In any case...

I have 2 DirecDVR's networked and running great with the Monte ISO. I can successfully extract videos using TyTools and tserver, but would like to transfer recordings from one Tivo to another. I've installed SmartFTP and tried to do this, but no luck.

Basically, when I drag the .tmf file from one Tivo to the other, the machine receiving the file decides to close the connection. When I look at the file that was copied over, it's a 0 byte file and is labeled as a {Recording}. Of course, it's not playable or even deletable using the TV interface...have to delete it manually.

Anyone with any thoughts? Thanks for the help...

-Mike

cojonesdetoro
02-26-2004, 11:05 AM
mfs_ftp has a log file called port3105.log. You can also change the logging level within the script. I have read that log level 5 will tell you absolutely everything that it is doing and where it is failing. Since your using an S2, you may want to post this this in the 'using mfs_ftp with s2' thread. I have read that there are versions of the support binaries that will not work well with mfs_ftp. I would look there first.

sanderton
02-26-2004, 11:30 AM
See inf you can insert from your PC.

The stock answer is that you have one of the duff S2 binaries which are floating about. I'd try getting hold of a known good set.

ratlhead
02-26-2004, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I've confirmed I have the latest Series2 binaries and will give the logging stuff a try. I haven't tried inserting from a PC yet, but will perhaps give that a shot as well. Just trying to avoid the middleman (PC) if possible, since the recordings are so large in size. Here's what I found in the port.3105.log file when trying to transfer a South Park recording:

info(version): 1.2.9p
info(tswv): 3.1.1b-02-2-351
info(dbl): 0
info(ithrottle): 2
info(insert_priority): 10
info(multithreaded): 0
info(saveuntil): suggestion
info(name_detail): 5
info(bjuggle): 0
info(active): 0
info(ac_interval): 1800
info(gatewayip): 127.0.0.1
info(gatewayport): 3105

catch close lastsock val ""
10:29:40:PM - 220 Mfs_Ftp ver 1.2.9p - {sock22} from "192.168.1.253:4957"
10:29:50:PM - 331 User name okay, need password.
10:29:50:PM - 230 Running in TiVo Mode.
10:29:50:PM - 215 UNIX
10:29:50:PM - 502 Command not implemented "FEAT"
10:29:50:PM - 257 "/" is current directory.
10:29:50:PM - 250 Directory change successful.
10:29:50:PM - 257 "/tmf" is current directory.
10:29:50:PM - 200 Type set to I
10:29:50:PM - 200 PORT command successful.
10:29:50:PM - 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for "{{South Park}{2000-07

" syntax error in expression "" "

re-initializing mfs_ftp

close the current ftp connection and simply open another

"core dump" :p

johannes
02-27-2004, 11:43 PM
Recently I was uploading a bunch of shows that I had on my Linux machine back onto the TiVo.

Unfortunately, during the upload process, my TiVo decided to reboot.

I was sleeping so I didn't notice until the next day. When I took a look at the Now Showing list, I have one of the shows stuck as recording.

The problem is that I can't delete it now. Selecting Delete now from the TiVo menu just brings back to the Now Showing screen.

If I try to FTP into mfs_ftp and get a directory listing, the server drops the connection.

If I try to delete it from TivoWebPlus, it returns back "Delete Failed".

Is there anyway I can delete this show?

BTUx9
02-28-2004, 01:25 AM
Is there anyway I can delete this show?
try:

echo "RubbishObjectByFsId FSID" | tivosh
You fill in the FSID
(be careful of capitalization)

johannes
02-28-2004, 01:28 AM
try:

echo "RubbishObjectByFsId FSID" | tivosh
You fill in the FSID
(be careful of capitalization)

Worked like a charm. Thanks!

joeyfig
02-28-2004, 02:24 AM
Hi all...this is probably a newbie question, but I've searched the last several hours and can't find a solution, so let the flaming begin if necessary. In any case...

I have 2 DirecDVR's networked and running great with the Monte ISO. I can successfully extract videos using TyTools and tserver, but would like to transfer recordings from one Tivo to another. I've installed SmartFTP and tried to do this, but no luck.

Basically, when I drag the .tmf file from one Tivo to the other, the machine receiving the file decides to close the connection. When I look at the file that was copied over, it's a 0 byte file and is labeled as a {Recording}. Of course, it's not playable or even deletable using the TV interface...have to delete it manually.

Anyone with any thoughts? Thanks for the help...

-Mike

I have the same prob
i have tried FlashFXP SmartFTP and FileZilla
did you find anything out?

Joe

ratlhead
02-28-2004, 02:28 AM
I have the same prob
i have tried FlashFXP SmartFTP and FileZilla
did you find anything out?

Joe

Not yet Joe. Hoping someone can post a solution soon though.

soundfx
02-28-2004, 02:05 PM
Not yet Joe. Hoping someone can post a solution soon though.

Hey guys,

I was having the same exact prob as you and found looking deeper in my logs, that there was an error:

" couldn't execute "./mfs_tarstream": permission denied "

re-initializing mfs_ftp

Simply `chmod 755 mfs_tarstream` and you are able to extract the .tmf files.

I hope this helps you out.

Dan

soundfx
02-28-2004, 02:21 PM
Hey guys,

I was having the same exact prob as you and found looking deeper in my logs, that there was an error:

" couldn't execute "./mfs_tarstream": permission denied "

re-initializing mfs_ftp

Simply `chmod 755 mfs_tarstream` and you are able to extract the .tmf files.

I hope this helps you out.

Dan

ok, well that allowed me to be able to transfer tmf files to my PC, but still errored out on TiVo to TiVo transfer. I saw another file that needed chmod 755 done: ./mfs_stdinsert when I was trying to place files into the other TiVo.

Still not able to insert into Tivo.

" error writing "file31": broken pipe "

re-initializing mfs_ftp

info(version): 1.2.9p
info(tswv): 3.1.1b-02-2-351
info(dbl): 0
info(ithrottle): 2
info(insert_priority): 10
info(multithreaded): 0
info(saveuntil): suggestion
info(name_detail): 5
info(bjuggle): 0
info(active): 0
info(ac_interval): 1800
info(gatewayip): 127.0.0.1
info(gatewayport): 3105

catch close lastsock val ""

Anyone have any ideas?

Dan

LazLong
03-01-2004, 03:37 AM
I have a Sleeper'd SA2, and top reports that mfs_ftp is using 35-45% of the cpu when idle. Do I have something set up wrong?

chrsturbo
03-03-2004, 03:53 PM
Seems 4.0 may have a different idea about blocking on sockets than 3.X. Both tcl based servers will suck 100% of the CPU when waiting for connections (non-blocking socket wait:(). I notice we do a "fconfigure $chan -buffering none -blocking 1" in some sections could it be that 4.0 has more states for blocking? Anyone else seeing this?

mrblack51
03-03-2004, 04:30 PM
I have a Sleeper'd SA2, and top reports that mfs_ftp is using 35-45% of the cpu when idle. Do I have something set up wrong?

this is normal. on 4.0, tcl scripts that loop will show very high cpu usage when you check with "ps -aux" or whatever. unless the receiver is acting funny, its not a problem.

chrsturbo
03-04-2004, 03:49 PM
this is normal. on 4.0, tcl scripts that loop will show very high cpu usage when you check with "ps -aux" or whatever. unless the receiver is acting funny, its not a problem.
So your saying these tivosh scripts under 4.0 should be spinning? It does slow things down quite a bit in myworld. Has anyone done any research on how to stop this as the box is much peppier without these things sucking the CPU dry.

chrsturbo
03-05-2004, 05:53 PM
I think I have found it. Under 4.0 it is always check the /tmp/S_EventSwitcherSocket97 as well as the network socket so it can't to a blocking select. This and the mempool bug for "full" tivos seems to argue we should only run one network service:(. Now to see if I can shutdown that Socket and do blocking somehow.

AlphaWolf
03-05-2004, 06:22 PM
The best thing is to just not run TCL perpetual scripts. Personally, I only run mfs_ftp whenever I intend to use it, and terminate it when I am done. Same thing with tivoweb.

sanderton
03-05-2004, 06:42 PM
But equally I run mfs_ftp, TiVoWeb, EndPad, and noreddot 24/7 without problems. YMMV. :)

AlphaWolf
03-05-2004, 07:15 PM
But equally I run mfs_ftp, TiVoWeb, EndPad, and noreddot 24/7 without problems. YMMV. :)

Well, if you want optimal responsiveness from your tivo, its best not to do this. In fact, whilst I don't know much about endpad personally, I would recommend you run that via a cron daemon, as it would use less resources that way, and have the exact same effect.

sanderton
03-05-2004, 07:32 PM
Well, if you want optimal responsiveness from your tivo, its best not to do this.

I have no responsiveness issues whatsoever. TCL scripts in an "after" statement or in the event loop use no resources worth mentioning (except under 4.0 it seems, but even then there seem to be suggestions that the CPU load is just an artifact, and the cycles it uses are instantly dropped if a "real" process wants them.)

In fact, whilst I don't know much about endpad personally, I would recommend you run that via a cron daemon, as it would use less resources that way

Evidently :)

I wrote EndPad as a background application monitoring recording activity and adding padding on a just-in-time basis. You can't run it from cron.

rc3105
03-06-2004, 02:19 AM
most people wouldn't BELIEVE the number of tivosh scripts running here 24/7 ( a cron equivilant among them :D ) and they all get along just fine... better transfer / insert speeds than most also, and I'm too cheap to even buy fast hard drives! (SLOW old 8 gig drives mostly)

seems like tivosh is a scapegoat for lots of other issues. (anybody smart enough to positivly identify a tivosh bug is probably smart enough to fix it...) ;)

AlphaWolf
03-06-2004, 11:51 AM
Well, I see faster speeds on my tivos than most (if not all?) do, extraction and otherwise, so I must be doing something right :P

sanderton
03-06-2004, 02:11 PM
Well, I see faster speeds on my tivos than most (if not all?) do, extraction and otherwise, so I must be doing something right :P

Now there's a great unsupported assertion! :)

(BTW, re: your sig, does that mean Americans can't propose a constitutional amendment without being disloyal?)

AlphaWolf
03-06-2004, 02:20 PM
Now there's a great unsupported assertion! :)

Hmm...well, if you want specifics, most people report ~1,800k/sec downloads with S2 directivos. I typically see in the range of ~2,600k/sec to ~3,100k/sec downloads on my DSR-704 w/linksys USB200M. Of course, I've done a lot more than eliminate excess TCL processes, but by having lots of them running at once, I've noticed up to ~400k/sec drops in speed.

I can't accurately measure the responsiveness of the tivo remote, but its a lot better than a stock configuration.

sanderton
03-06-2004, 02:24 PM
Hmm...well, if you want specifics, most people report ~1,800k/sec downloads with S2 directivos. I typically see in the range of ~2,600k/sec to ~3,100k/sec downloads on my DSR-704 w/linksys USB200M. Of course, I've done a lot more than eliminate excess TCL processes, but by having lots of them running at once, I've noticed up to ~400k/sec drops in speed.

Interesting. On my S1 SA, there is no difference in extraction speed at all with other TCL process running - but at the kind of speeds you are talking about (what do you do, suspend myworld?) - perhaps other limits start to cut in.

AlphaWolf
03-06-2004, 02:29 PM
Interesting. On my S1 SA, there is no difference in extraction speed at all with other TCL process running - but at the kind of speeds you are talking about (what do you do, suspend myworld?) - perhaps other limits start to cut in.

No, but pulling the access card is a big help.

SR712
03-06-2004, 03:09 PM
Man, I wish I could get up in that region on my S2. On my T60s with CacheCards, I can get 3100KB/sec, sustained extraction. But this DSR7000 is difficult to tweak any more. I am using the USB2.0 drivers also with a USB200M Linksys. Pretty much not running anything in the background unless I need it, and I can only get ~1400/KB/sec. Checked for half/full, and it is full. In standby. Pulled the access card and didn't notice any difference.

AlphaWolf
03-06-2004, 05:34 PM
Man, I wish I could get up in that region on my S2. On my T60s with CacheCards, I can get 3100KB/sec, sustained extraction. But this DSR7000 is difficult to tweak any more. I am using the USB2.0 drivers also with a USB200M Linksys. Pretty much not running anything in the background unless I need it, and I can only get ~1400/KB/sec. Checked for half/full, and it is full. In standby. Pulled the access card and didn't notice any difference.

Hmm...it should be at least some, because on mine it makes a good 600k/sec difference.

chrsturbo
03-17-2004, 05:00 PM
The reason for this seems to be because of an open socket the switcher being alternatly polled with the network socket. Could this be because the db handle is left open? Perhaps we could rewrite to open the db only on access? Rather than leaving it open all the time?

rc3105
03-18-2004, 12:57 AM
lots of rapid db open/close causes other problems...

Will
03-28-2004, 06:48 AM
Anyway here's the link:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125445&postcount=69

Vegas

Excellent. Problem solved. Downloading ty+'s is much slower than with the official s2 binaries but more importantly the downloaded ty+'s play. Thanks for the link.

lgkahn
03-28-2004, 02:16 PM
yep I only get about 1.6 meg per seconda with my dsr 704 but I can also get that on my 704 over wireless with two dlink 2100 ap's

strange that I can get the same speeds over wireless as the one directly connected both dsr 704s are connected with linksys 200m's everybody says they have problems but they have work great for me.. no problems whatsoever one 704 is running 3.11b and the other 3.1.1c

rc3105
04-05-2004, 05:27 AM
loaned the hdvr2 to a linux+networking savvy college buddy & when it came back I couldn't believe the USB 2 transfer speeds

is a start (http://www.psc.edu/networking/perf_tune.html#Linux)

any guru's feel like writing up a how-to and/or tivo network settings optomizer?

zorro1
04-07-2004, 05:21 PM
can someone tell me where this hackinit file is located on the system?

MountainSlide
04-12-2004, 12:10 PM
Where is the mfs_ftp.tcl file? It was not in the s2bins.zip that I downloaded from page 1 of this thread.

TIA,

Ron

BTUx9
04-12-2004, 02:04 PM
Where is the mfs_ftp.tcl file? It was not in the s2bins.zip that I downloaded from page 1 of this thread.
It's in the main mfs_ftp thread... you need both downloads to install to an s2

MountainSlide
04-13-2004, 09:07 AM
Thanks BTUx9 for the quick response! Got it.

Ron

eggtimer
04-17-2004, 07:25 PM
Ive seen multiple references to binaries that were posted at the beginning of this thread. Why have those binaries disapeared? Is there a specific reason they are no longer being distributed?

Hi8
04-17-2004, 08:07 PM
Ive seen multiple references to binaries that were posted at the beginning of this thread. Why have those binaries disapeared? Is there a specific reason they are no longer being distributed?

HERE (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21915)

BTUx9
04-23-2004, 02:21 AM
It looks like the setpri binary included with the s2 bins doesn't work in v5.x and most likely in 4.x.

This is actually a good thing, because if it worked, mfs_ftp would probably hang the tivo because of the vwait bug.

(if anyone wants to confirm this for me, try to run setpri in the mfs_ftp dir on a 4.x machine)

cmylxgo
05-02-2004, 01:24 PM
I'm having issues sending files from my PC to my Tivo. I was also having issues with incorrect show lengths but I solved the problem by using the binaries in this post (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125445&postcount=69). They were created to work with 1.2.9F but they seem to work for my problem on 1.2.9P. I have also tried the Series2 Bins attached at the top of this post.

Here is what my ftp logs say.
227 Entering Passive Mode (10,0,0,99,12,32).
STOR {Dora the Explorer}{2004-03-11}{Berry Hunt}{05.30 PM Tue Mar 09, 2004}{NIK2}.tmf
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for "{{Dora the Explorer}{2004-03-11}{Berry Hunt}{05.30 PM Tue Mar 09, 2004}{NIK2}.tmf}"
Connection lost: Tivo - MFS_FTP Basement

Here is what the mfs_ftp logs say when set to level 5.
04:57:32:PM - info(background) is "backgrounded" so...
04:57:32:PM - NOT entering background, echoing status msgs to console
04:57:32:PM - sourcing settings
12:57:32:PM - updating cached recording info

catch close lastsock val "can't read "info(lastsock)": no such element in array"
12:57:44:PM - 220 Mfs_Ftp ver 1.2.9p - {sock22} from "10.0.0.2:1734"
12:58:04:PM - 331 User name okay, need password.
12:58:04:PM - 230 Running in TiVo Mode.
12:58:04:PM - 215 UNIX
12:58:04:PM - 350 Restart okay, awaiting file request.
12:58:04:PM - 350 Restart okay, awaiting file request.
12:58:04:PM - 257 "/" is current directory.
12:58:04:PM - 200 Type set to I
12:58:04:PM - 227 Entering Passive Mode (10,0,0,99,12,32).
12:58:04:PM - 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.
12:58:04:PM - 226 Transfer complete.
12:58:07:PM - 250 Directory change successful.
12:58:07:PM - 257 "/tmf" is current directory.
12:58:08:PM - 200 Type set to I
12:58:08:PM - 227 Entering Passive Mode (10,0,0,99,12,32).
12:58:08:PM - 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.
12:58:08:PM - updating cached recording info

12:58:10:PM - 226 Transfer complete.
12:58:17:PM - 200 Type set to I
12:58:17:PM - 502 Command not implemented "SIZE {Dora the Explorer}{2004-03-11}{Berry Hunt}{05.30 PM Tue Mar 09, 2004}{NIK2}.tmf"
12:58:17:PM - 227 Entering Passive Mode (10,0,0,99,12,32).
12:58:17:PM - 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for "{{Dora the Explorer}{2004-03-11}{Berry Hunt}{05.30 PM Tue Mar 09, 2004}{NIK2}.tmf}"

" syntax error in expression "" "

re-initializing mfs_ftp

mshook
05-02-2004, 06:28 PM
(if anyone wants to confirm this for me, try to run setpri in the mfs_ftp dir on a 4.x machine)

Ok, what's next?

tivo:/var/local/mfs_ftp$ ./setpri
setpri [ts|rr|fifo] <PRI> <PID>

jon411
05-10-2004, 02:35 AM
gbyhunimo,p.h

NutKase
05-15-2004, 12:54 PM
I upgraded the recoreding capacity but i can't figure out how to get the ftp file on to my tivo series 2.

First, welcome to the forum but nobody is going to hold your hand. You've found this thread and you'll learn a lot here, but, you need to read up on monte first.

You'll need to monte your tivo in order to install hacks. Tivoftpd is one you can use to transfer files.

Don't post here as this is clearly a newbie situation. We have an entire section devoted to help you get up and running. Post there and you'll probably get more help.

Thanks and good luck, NutKase

bcc
06-14-2004, 05:29 PM
The "official" S2 binaries at the start of this thread still include the "Priority set..." turd between chunks at the FSID boundaries. Would think it'd save a lot of confusion to have the official copies updated. This is just a heads up, as I'm capable of compiling/fixing this for myself (but cannot update the official links).

bcc
06-14-2004, 11:51 PM
I'm not getting "code priority set", rather "Priority set...\n". From strace you can see that it is going to stdout not stderr:

tivo:/var/local/mfs_ftp$ strace ./mfs_stream
execve("./mfs_stream", ["./mfs_stream"], [/* 32 vars */]) = 0
write(1, "Priority set...\n", 16Priority set...
This is mfs_stream from http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2900

which is what the first message of this thread directs folks to.

rc3105
06-15-2004, 12:11 AM
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 632092 Jun 15 03:58 mfs_stream

tivo:/m$ md5sum mfs_stream
3cefc24f6c44c407bfab231bed774e18 mfs_stream

bcc
06-15-2004, 12:17 AM
Yes,
tivo:/var/local/mfs_ftp$ md5sum ./mfs_stream
3cefc24f6c44c407bfab231bed774e18 ./mfs_stream
tivo:/var/local/mfs_ftp$

bcc
06-15-2004, 12:58 AM
I built my own mfs_stream, and that fixed the problem for me. I could publish my version, but I'm not sure what priority you guys recommend for the extraction, as I can't find any mfs_export source code that also manages its priority. This is what I have so far :)

#include <sched.h>

extern int verbose;

#define TIVO_READ_PRIORITY 1

void setpri(void)
{
#ifdef TIVO
const struct sched_param param;
int stat;

param.sched_priority = TIVO_READ_PRIORITY;
stat = sched_setscheduler(getpid(), SCHED_FIFO, &param);
if (verbose) {
if (!stat) {
printf("Priority set...\n");
} else {
printf("Could not set the priority...\n");
}
}
#endif
}

rc3105
06-15-2004, 01:08 AM
mfs_ftp will use the setpri binary to adjust mfs_stream's priority anyway

if you want to post your mfs_stream while I try to figure out exactly what the heck's going on... (staticly linked would be good)

bcc
06-15-2004, 01:23 AM
I compiled mfs_stream & mfs_export. In this version, they still try to set the priority, but will only output a diagnostic if invoked with -v.

Update: This build is basically obsoleted by the new unified mfs support tools found here. (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39487) I recommend you use that one instead, as my version is based upon older code that still interleaves other errors (such as crc errors) into the data stream.

daveinfla
06-27-2004, 01:58 AM
Just upgraded my DSR704 (3.1.1c-01-2-301) with the Sleeper's ISO and I can't get mfs_ftp to work.

I've downloaded the latest files from the sticky thread, extracted mfs_ftp, then overwrote with the s2 binaries. Everything is installed in the /var/mfs_ftp directory.

Here's my rc.sysinit.author:

#!/bin/bash
date>>/var/hack/log/hackinit.log

#Enviroment Variables
export PATH=/sbin:/bin:/tivobin:/busybox:/tvbin:.
export TIVO_ROOT=
export MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10
export IGNOREEOF=1000
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/lib/modules
export TERM=xterm
export PS1='\h:\w$ '

#Start BASH
/bin/bash</dev/ttyS2&>/dev/ttyS2&

#Setup HOSTNAME
/bin/hostname tivo2

#Load ax8817x ethernet drivers
insmod /lib/modules/usbcore.o
insmod /lib/modules/hcd.o
insmod /lib/modules/ehci-hcd.o
insmod /lib/modules/ax8817x.o
sleep 10

#Set the IP address
ifconfig eth0 10.10.10.111 broadcast 10.10.10.255 netmask 255.255.255.0
route add default gw 10.10.10.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1

#Load telnet daemon and ftp dameon
tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
tivoftpd
cd /var/mfs_ftp
/var/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl &
cd /

#Load tivoweb
/usr/tivoweb-tcl/tivoweb

#Load kmem to prevent scrambling
kmem 800b23b4 00001021

sleep 300
/usr/scripts/callfixsub.sh /usr/scripts &
/usr/scripts/sps30
/usr/scripts/sort

Here's the port.3105.log file:

05:36:40:AM - sourcing settings
01:36:40:AM - updating cached recording info

catch close lastsock val "can't read "info(lastsock)": no such element in array"
01:36:47:AM - 220 Mfs_Ftp ver 1.2.9p - {sock22} from "10.10.10.100:2904"
01:37:08:AM - 331 User name okay, need password.
01:37:08:AM - 502 Command not implemented ""

Here's what I get when connecting via SmartFTP:

Resolving host name tivo2...
Connecting to (tivo2) -> IP: 10.10.10.111 PORT: 3105
Connected to (tivo2) -> Time = 62ms
Socket connected waiting for login sequence.
220 Mfs_Ftp ver 1.2.9p - sock22 from "10.10.10.100:2904"
USER

IT JUST HANGS AT THIS POINT!

HELP!!!!

daveinfla
06-28-2004, 01:41 AM
Found out I can connect via Windows FTP so I tried various clients.

SmartFTP doesn't connect.
WSFTP doesnt' connect.

FlashFXP works!

Settings all seem to be the same, I've turned PASV off on all and auto detect ftp server type is on. Of course the port is set to 3105 for each.

FlashFXP is OK except it seems to be very slow and doesn't display transfer rates during server to server (tivo to tivo) transfers.

Any ideas why I'm having such an issue with various clients that should work fine?

BTUx9
06-28-2004, 01:47 AM
Found out I can connect via Windows FTP so I tried various clients.

SmartFTP doesn't connect.
WSFTP doesnt' connect.

FlashFXP works!

Settings all seem to be the same, I've turned PASV off on all and auto detect ftp server type is on. Of course the port is set to 3105 for each.

FlashFXP is OK except it seems to be very slow and doesn't display transfer rates during server to server (tivo to tivo) transfers.

Any ideas why I'm having such an issue with various clients that should work fine?
How long do you wait for it to connect? Without patching mfs_ftp, there can be a 30 second delay between the connect and actually getting the top level listing.

daveinfla
06-28-2004, 09:16 AM
How/Where do I get the patch?

NutKase
06-28-2004, 01:02 PM
How/Where do I get the patch?

Just watch the log after you start it up using:

tail -f /path/to/port3105.log

You'll see it caching and pruning etc, and this can take a few seconds if you have many recordings, followed by a "ready" message.

NutKase

daveinfla
06-28-2004, 01:51 PM
BTUx9 mentioned a patch for mfs_ftp, where do I find the patch?

Thanks,

Dave

BTUx9
06-28-2004, 07:25 PM
BTUx9 mentioned a patch for mfs_ftp, where do I find the patch?

Looks like it got removed... it wasn't applicable to Q, so maybe it happened at that time.

I'll post it here. What it fixes are mostly annoyances, but the invalid expiration date on inserted recording CAN stick many errors in a log file over time.

MFS_FTP patch p1.tcl: addresses connection delay, resume stuck on, ithrottle stuck at 3, and invalid ExpirationDate

To apply the patch, just put the file p1.tcl in the mfs_ftp dir.

daveinfla
06-28-2004, 07:59 PM
Got it, now what? Do I run it or does it replace an existing file?

Sorry, just a Linux newbie here... :p

BTUx9
06-28-2004, 08:19 PM
Got it, now what? Do I run it or does it replace an existing file?

Sorry, just a Linux newbie here... :p
Sorry, thought I had that info in the file... for mfs_ftp patch files, you just put the file in the mfs_ftp directory. I'll edit my post to include that.

NutKase
06-28-2004, 09:34 PM
Maybe I'm missing something...

Just wait a few seconds until the log says 'waiting on connection' or whatever, then connect.

NutKase

daveinfla
06-28-2004, 09:41 PM
Thanks BTUx9!

Only one question, it is patch only for Series 2?

I'm getting 1.5MB/s transfer rates downloading to my PC, what's the norm?

I'm using FlashFXP to do Tivo to Tivo xfers, like the simple interface, might even have to teach the wife how to use it! The only thing is it doesn't show xfer rates for Tivo to Tivo xfers, do any clients? Is there another way to determine how fast Tivo to Tivo xfers are?

Hmm, seems Tivo to Tivo is forced to use PASV mode in FlashFXP, it this correct? It is a server to server xfer...or am I doing something wrong?

It took 42 mins to xfer a 30 min show.

One last item, I put the abort.txt file in the directory, trying to cancel a xfer, do I have to wait 15 mins or is there a way to speed things up?

Thanks,

Dave

NutKase
06-29-2004, 11:57 AM
Is there another way to determine how fast Tivo to Tivo xfers are?

You can up your logging level to 5, per the readme, then watch the log using 'tail' command above while it's transferring each chunk and see the speed in telnet.

Hmm, seems Tivo to Tivo is forced to use PASV mode in FlashFXP, it this correct?

Yes.

One last item, I put the abort.txt file in the directory, trying to cancel a xfer, do I have to wait 15 mins or is there a way to speed things up?

I just disconnect the transfer in FlashFXP then delete the partial recording on the tivo.

NutKase

daveinfla
06-29-2004, 01:28 PM
I'll give it a shot. What is a "normal" speed I should be looking for?

Is Tivo to Tivo slower or about the same as downloading to your PC?

Whenever I cancel it seems to bring down the mfs_ftp program.

BTW, thanks for helping... :D

BTUx9
06-29-2004, 02:40 PM
I just disconnect the transfer in FlashFXP then delete the partial recording on the tivo.
hmm... how does that work?
As I understand the code, while a xfer is proceeding, mfs_ftp doesn't process any messages from the command socket, so I'm not sure how an FXP client could abort the xfer.

I'll give it a shot. What is a "normal" speed I should be looking for?

Is Tivo to Tivo slower or about the same as downloading to your PC?

Whenever I cancel it seems to bring down the mfs_ftp program.

BTW, thanks for helping... :D
It's the insert speeds that are a bit anemic... while you can get 1.5 MB/s extraction (near-optimal conditions), I seldom get above 700KB/s for insertions (YMMV, others claim much higher). Therefore, tivo->tivo xfers will tend to be much lower than your 1.5 d/l rate.

NutKase
06-29-2004, 07:30 PM
hmm... how does that work?
As I understand the code, while a xfer is proceeding, mfs_ftp doesn't process any messages from the command socket, so I'm not sure how an FXP client could abort the xfer.

I haven't played with it that much but if you kill the FTP session, my observation is that the transfer is over. This may be a function of my network I don't know.

I'll try to test it out in a few days to confirm what I think. I have a tivo not quite 100% going to 4.0.1b-02 right now.

NutKase

daveinfla
06-29-2004, 08:49 PM
I read the readme again and it implies that stoping the xfers will crash mfs_ftp, which has been my experience. It also explains you can create an abort.txt file in the directory and either wait 15 mins or try to connect and it will shutdown. I've been successful in using this method ONLY when a transfer is NOT in progress.

If you figure out a way to can a transfer without blowing up mfs_ftp in the process, let me know.

I'm only getting about 273K/sec! What do I have to do to speed things up? I'm transfering from a DSR704 (Series 2) to a DSR6000 (Series 1).

One more question... I didn't see answered, is the patch only for Series 2?

Thanks,

Dave

BTUx9
06-29-2004, 08:57 PM
I read the readme again and it implies that stoping the xfers will crash mfs_ftp, which has been my experience. It also explains you can create an abort.txt file in the directory and either wait 15 mins or try to connect and it will shutdown. I've been successful in using this method ONLY when a transfer is NOT in progress.

If you figure out a way to can a transfer without blowing up mfs_ftp in the process, let me know.

One question I didn't see answered, is the patch only for Series 2?

Thanks,

Dave
abort.txt or grabbing shutdown or phoenix will only work if mfs_ftp is in a vwait loop (not otherwise occupied).

We're specifically talking about aborting fxp transfers, not regular ftp transfers to the PC.

The patch should work for both s1 and s2, but I've only tested it on s2 (there isn't any s2-specific code in there, but it does rely on ifconfig)

daveinfla
06-29-2004, 09:19 PM
My Series 1 seems to be connecting OK, would it benifit from the Patch?

What about my xfer rates? 273k/sec seems slow!!

Any idea how to speed it up?

BTUx9
06-29-2004, 09:30 PM
My Series 1 seems to be connecting OK, would it benifit from the Patch?

What about my xfer rates? 273k/sec seems slow!!

Any idea how to speed it up?
no, the patch doesn't really affect transfer speeds except for ithrottle.

As I stated earlier, slow transfer may be an issue of passive on the s1 box... have you tried just inserting from the PC to the s1? If that's considerably faster, then you might look into a way to make the s2 the passive connection in the fxp transfer.

daveinfla
06-30-2004, 04:40 PM
no, the patch doesn't really affect transfer speeds except for ithrottle.

As I stated earlier, slow transfer may be an issue of passive on the s1 box... have you tried just inserting from the PC to the s1? If that's considerably faster, then you might look into a way to make the s2 the passive connection in the fxp transfer.

I tried the patch on my Series 1 just for yuks, it wouldn't let me connect.

OK now for another newbie question...How do you go about forcing the Series 2 to be the passive connection?

When I was testing last night it appeared as if the S1 would not let me connect unless the S2 was already connected.

BTUx9
06-30-2004, 04:51 PM
OK now for another newbie question...How do you go about forcing the Series 2 to be the passive connection?

When I was testing last night it appeared as if the S1 would not let me connect unless the S2 was already connected.
That's a function of the fxp client

daveinfla
07-02-2004, 09:24 AM
Still have a couple issues.

1) Transferring from my Series 1 (DSR6000) to my Series 2 (DSR704) I get no sound. I've tried a Tivo to Tivo copy AND frist downloading it to my PC then inserting it into the DSR704. No go. I saw mention of this issue in other threads, but no fix posted.

2) Still have an issue with slow MFS transfers to my Series 1, doesn't matter if I'm doing Tivo to Tivo or inserting from my PC, which btw doesn't use PASV. It takes a bit to transfer but it does work, sound and all.

I'm running 2.5.2 on my Series 1 and 3.1.1c on my Series 2, whould that have anything to do with either issues? Is there a network driver upgrade for my Series 1?

One other thing I've noticed. When inserting to the Series 1 the title, data, and channel are the only things that show up and it looks just like xml format with the { } around them. However, the Series 2 shows up just like a regular program, complete with description, just no sound. What's up with that?

The good news is I can download from both via mfs_ftp at 1.5MB/s with no problems.

Thanks,

Dave

daveinfla
07-03-2004, 08:43 PM
Anybody? :o

rc3105
07-04-2004, 05:03 AM
1) known issue, no good fix yet. bcc posted a s1->s2 util (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=170686&postcount=26) but it still has a bug or two (like recordings double in size). I bought a pioneer 810 to sort that out once & for all ($700 OUCH!) - still hammering out details

2) dunno. lots of variables to check, they're all mentioned in the two main threads (mfstool restore partition layout, drive scale, hdparm, setpri, mfs_ftp ithrottle settings, etc)

3a) 2.x 3.x 4.x 5.x doesn't make any difference.

3b) dunno, what driver version are you running now??? assuming a turbonet/airnet check silicondust (http://www.silicondust.com/forum/) for the latest drivers

4a) that means somehow it's not finding the embedded xml. transfer as tmf instead of ty

4b) no sound putting a s2 recording into a s1? no idea, that's a new one...

daveinfla
07-04-2004, 10:24 AM
Thanks for your comments, guess I'll sit tight on the S2 insert.

Must have been a misunderstanding, S1 inserts ARE working, just very slow and the menu shows up like the xml info. is missing as you mentioned. Doesn't matter if I insert tivo to tivo or from my pc, same results, but at least it works.

Thanks,

Dave

rc3105
07-04-2004, 12:09 PM
are you inserting ty files or tmf files? the only time you should see garbled names is inserting ty files, and that's only if they were generated with a bad mfs_stream binary

daveinfla
07-05-2004, 02:46 PM
So TMF is the preferred format for inserting? I must have missed that.

bcc
07-05-2004, 04:08 PM
1) known issue, no good fix yet. bcc posted a s1->s2 util (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=170686&postcount=26) but it still has a bug or two (like recordings double in size).There have been no bug reports, and increasing the recording size is by design, not a bug (by definition). And it would not be hard to re-pack the chunks so as to minimize the stream size changes.

Stephanie
07-06-2004, 12:09 AM
Guys,

I ran into a problem with an installation of MFS_FTP that I did with my newly hacked DVR-40 drive. The only thing different this time through was that I elected to keep my recordings so I backed up the entire drive (w/recordings) and did surgery/etc with Sleeper's scripts but...

now that I've gone and done a fresh install of mfs_ftp, I can't get the server to come up. I did execute the s2bins.tcl with the same -xvf parameters prior to running mfs_ftp.

I'm not sure but so far I'm guessing that it's a path issue. Here is the port.3105.log file - hope this can give some information. Any help is appreciated...

I searched the forum and only came across issues with path information in the hackinit file but I believe that sleeper doesn't use this file, rather it's in rc.sysinit.author??? not sure on this...

Update-Tytools comes up and I'm able to telnet and ftp to the 7 partition wiht no problem. I can't run ciphercheck (similar errors as below) - haven't bothered with CSOscout since ciphercheck can't run. I'm recording a new show now (post noCSO patch for 3.1.1c) to see if I can pull it off using tytools. Still don't get what happened to mfs_ftp - haven't seen this in the 6 drives I've made thus far :confused:

-- Steph

--More-- (48% of 961 bytes)
tivo:/var/mfs_ftp$ more port.3105.log
07:15:54:AM - sourcing settings
12:15:54:AM - updating cached recording info

12:19:40:AM - 220 Mfs_Ftp ver 1.2.9p - {sock22} from "192.168.1.103:2806"
12:20:00:AM - 331 User name okay, need password.
12:20:00:AM - 502 Command not implemented ""
12:20:30:AM - 220 Mfs_Ftp ver 1.2.9p - {sock22} from "192.168.1.103:2807"
12:20:50:AM - 331 User name okay, need password.
12:20:50:AM - 502 Command not implemented ""
12:21:20:AM - 220 Mfs_Ftp ver 1.2.9p - {sock22} from "192.168.1.103:2808"
12:21:40:AM - 331 User name okay, need password.
12:21:40:AM - 502 Command not implemented ""
12:22:10:AM - 220 Mfs_Ftp ver 1.2.9p - {sock22} from "192.168.1.103:2809"
12:22:30:AM - 331 User name okay, need password.
12:22:30:AM - 502 Command not implemented ""
12:23:00:AM - 220 Mfs_Ftp ver 1.2.9p - {sock22} from "192.168.1.103:2810"
12:23:20:AM - 331 User name okay, need password.

daveinfla
07-06-2004, 09:03 AM
Stephanie,

You need to place the following patch in the mfs_ftp directory. When mfs_ftp starts it will automatically read the patch file which from what I understand modifies they way mfs_ftp runs.

P1 patch (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=171789&postcount=217)

Dave

BTUx9
07-06-2004, 01:49 PM
Stephanie,

You need to place the following patch in the mfs_ftp directory. When mfs_ftp starts it will automatically read the patch file which from what I understand modifies they way mfs_ftp runs.

P1 patch (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=171789&postcount=217)

Dave
That patch won't affect the issue she's having

Stephanie: I'd suggest either:
a) setting info(dbl) to 5 and seeing if the logfile has more info about why it's not working, or

b) installing version R, and seeing how that works.
(I'd suggest setting info(active) to 0 in settings.txt if you decide to run version R)

NOTE: remember that there's often a delay of 20-30 seconds when you initially connect to mfs_ftp. The patch just removes that delay (and fixes a few other things)

daveinfla
07-06-2004, 02:02 PM
Solved my issue, and it looked identical, buy hey what do I know....

Stephanie
07-06-2004, 02:43 PM
Thanks guys - I'll try both.

Just prior to reading your replies, I was hacking around some more and tried extending the server timeout on SmartFTP. Guess what ! After about 60 seconds, SmartFTP is able to get the file structure (and see all the files) on port 3105 - bizzare. BUT Ciphercheck.tcl and CSOSCOUT won't work - they have this same file not found

tivo:/var/mfs_ftp$ ciphercheck.tcl
bash: /var/mfs_ftp/ciphercheck.tcl: No such file or directory
tivo:/var/mfs_ftp$

BTUx9
07-06-2004, 02:48 PM
Thanks guys - I'll try both.

Just prior to reading your replies, I was hacking around some more and tried extending the server timeout on SmartFTP. Guess what ! After about 60 seconds, SmartFTP is able to get the file structure (and see all the files) on port 3105 - bizzare. BUT Ciphercheck.tcl and CSOSCOUT won't work - they have this same file not found

tivo:/var/mfs_ftp$ ciphercheck.tcl
bash: /var/mfs_ftp/ciphercheck.tcl: No such file or directory
tivo:/var/mfs_ftp$
make sure the file is there AND executable (chmod +x)

p1.tcl will fix the connection delay, but it isn't compatible with 1.2.9R (AFAIK) and R seems to have the same issue.

P.S. what tivo s/w versions are both of you running? Maybe the DNS timeout is increased in some versions (I don't remember mine ever taking a full 60 seconds)

Stephanie
07-06-2004, 03:54 PM
I'm running 3.1.1c on a DVR40 (Sleeper - with no KMEM and NoCSO patch). Have the pegasys drivers loaded and a Hawking USB->Ethernet

ciphercheck and csoscout are both executable - I'm wondering if it's something in the script itself that I have an incorrect path for...

tivo:/var/mfs_ftp$ ls -lr *.tcl
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 3070 Jul 6 01:54 tzoffset.tcl
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 389 Jul 6 01:54 settings.tcl
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 4023 Jul 6 18:31 p1.tcl
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 53428 Jul 6 01:54 mfs_ftp.tcl
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 2006 Jul 6 18:13 csoscout.tcl
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 3397 Jul 6 18:13 ciphercheck.tcl

Stephanie
07-06-2004, 04:17 PM
Ahhh.... I'm a bit embarrased.
I transferred ciphercheck and cscscout over in auto mode on SmartFTP - lesson learned, use binary ONLY. They're both working fine now.
Also thanks for the p1 patch - that also did the trick on the login issue.

You guys are the greatest! Thanks!

-- Steph

steve90071
07-13-2004, 01:17 PM
I have been reading this and the original mfs_mtp thread in an effort to determine the best way to install mfs_ftp on a sleeper hacked RCA DVR40 (series 2 DTivo). The confusion concerns the use of series 2 binaries:

1. The set listed under series 2 binaries at the start of the original mfs_ftp thread has a creation date of 3/4/04. Nutcase says to rename the "export" file contained in the binaries folder to "stdinsert". That would leave two "stdinsert" files but no "export" file. Can someone explain?

2. In post 210 of the series 2 mfs-ftp thread, bcc posted two files "export" and "stream" to replace the same files in the above noted series 2 binaries (3/4/04 creation date) and fix a "priority set" problem. Is that recommended?

3. An earlier set of binaries, creation date 10/18/03, are posted in the series 2 mfs_ftp thread and recommended as a more stable replacement for the 3/4/04 binaries? Is that recommended?

4. Finally, FastEddieG in post #2 in the series 2 mfs_ftp thread lists a number of steps to be taken in installing mfs_ftp in a series 2 Tivo. In one of the steps he says to chmod the five files in the series 2 binaries. One of the files he lists "mfs_ftp.tcl" is not contained in either the 10/18/03 binaries or the 3/4/14 binaries. Is this just an error in the instructions?

Any help in determining the answer to one or more of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

sneel
07-13-2004, 06:15 PM
I can only answer #4. I am also a bit baffeled on what binaries are needed or should be avoided.

Anyway, to answer #4, install or setup mfs_ftp on your series2 using the series 1 package first. After it is copied over, you replace the series1 binaries with the series2 version.

-Steve

NutKase
07-13-2004, 09:57 PM
I have been reading this and the original mfs_mtp thread in an effort to determine the best way to install mfs_ftp on a sleeper hacked RCA DVR40 (series 2 DTivo).

Installing mfs_ftp is the SAME regardless of the type of tivo or method of hacking any tivo. The LONE exception is that if it's a Series 2 - you need to copy the S2 binaries over the S1 binaries included with the original installation.

1. Nutcase says to rename the "export" file contained in the binaries folder to "stdinsert". That would leave two "stdinsert" files but no "export" file. Can someone explain?

Nut K ase said, in his sig which was written before the s2bins.zip, that you should rename mrblack51's mfs_import to mfs_stdinsert, and didn't say anything about "the "export" file contained in the binaries folder".

Again, I didn't say anything about renaming any 'current' S2 binaries provided in the thread. I may change my signature but probably not since someone may still want to know how 'the original mfs_ftp on S2' process went.

Mfs_ftp now provides, what I believe are, working S2 binaries. Just open them up and copy them over the S1 binaries that are packaged with mfs_ftp_currentversion.

I can't control the fact the the author, Riley, releases mfs_ftp with S1 binaries by default, and not both like TivoWebPlus. Anyway, if you're able to hack your tivo, you shouldn't have a problem with the way it's released.

4. Finally, FastEddieG in post #2 in the series 2 mfs_ftp thread lists a number of steps to be taken in installing mfs_ftp in a series 2 Tivo. In one of the steps he says to chmod the five files in the series 2 binaries. One of the files he lists "mfs_ftp.tcl" is not contained in either the 10/18/03 binaries or the 3/4/14 binaries.

Mfs_ftp.tcl isn't a binary. It's the 'program' for all practical purposes and isn't included in the binary S2 package.
Any help in determining the answer to one or more of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck, and I hope this helps 'unconfuse' your issues. :)

NutKase

steve90071
07-14-2004, 09:45 AM
Thanks NutKase. I should have caught the "import". While you did not address it specificaly, I assume you recommend using the s2 binaries referenced in the firstpost of the original thread without the modifications to the s2 binaries provided in post 210 of this thread (the ones designed to overcome the "priority set" issue). Can you confirm?

NutKase
07-14-2004, 12:49 PM
Thanks NutKase. I should have caught the "import". While you did not address it specificaly, I assume you recommend using the s2 binaries referenced in the firstpost of the original thread without the modifications to the s2 binaries provided in post 210 of this thread (the ones designed to overcome the "priority set" issue). Can you confirm?

I've had no problems with the binaries in the first post of the thread. I'm not that familiar with the 'priority set' issue and feel that most folks should run

tail -f /path/to/port.3105.log or I think Riley may be putting the log in /var/mfs_ftp.log in his current version...

to watch all the 'cache updating' that's happening and see what takes them so long to be able to connect.

I have setpri fifo 1 $$ as one of the last lines in my /etc/rc.sysinit though and maybe that takes care of the 'priority set' issue. Like I said since I don't have this problem I don't know much about it.

NutKase

rc3105
07-14-2004, 05:20 PM
updated install instructions (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29459&page=1&pp=1)

philhu
08-06-2004, 06:57 PM
Any way of getting mfs_ftp to send the SeriesID across the link with the other information? In v4 tivo software, grouping would then work for shows transferred across, therwise they do not group.

Is it possible to do this easily?

Waruwaru
08-06-2004, 07:02 PM
If you get REALLY FRUSTRATED, you have the source code to mfs_ftp, feel free to modify. :)

bmckim
08-22-2004, 10:16 PM
I am using the updated mfs_ftp installation instructions on my S2 stand alone unit, but I cannot get it to accept files from my S1 unit if they are composed of more than one file on the TiVo. I have the the "p" version of mfs_ftp.

Am I doing something wrong here? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
bmckim@usa.com

rc3105
08-26-2004, 07:18 AM
this may or may not be related, but it's worth a mention anyway. I've seen networking bugs on stock 3.x hr10-250, 4.x sa & 5.x 810 boxes where the connection just poofs for no apparant reason

on one 4.0.1b sa this was repeatable as a connection drop 450 meg into an insert 100% of the time. adding the following line to rc.sysinit.author solved the problem and boosted network throughput from ~750K/sec to around 900K/sec (stock usb 1.1 drivers)

ping -i 5 my.gateway.router.ip >/dev/null &

note, you'll need a real (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/tivoutils/netbin-s2.tgz?download) ping binary, not the busybox multicall sleeperscripts installs

philhu
08-26-2004, 08:02 AM
this may or may not be related, but it's worth a mention anyway. I've seen networking bugs on stock 3.x hr10-250, 4.x sa & 5.x 810 boxes where the connection just poofs for no apparant reason

on one 4.0.1b sa this was repeatable as a connection drop 450 meg into an insert 100% of the time. adding the following line to rc.sysinit.author solved the problem and boosted network throughput from ~750K/sec to around 900K/sec (stock usb 1.1 drivers)

ping -i 5 my.gateway.router.ip >/dev/null &

note, you'll need a real (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/tivoutils/netbin-s2.tgz?download) ping binary, not the busybox multicall sleeperscripts installs

Are you sure you have that cmd right?

'-i 5' means to wait 5 seconds between pings, but ping will then go forever, with pings 5 seconds apart.

Did you mean '-c 5'? This would do 5 pings.

Also, what does a ping to your router do? I think it does add arp records to the tivo which is a slick idea to get the router 'known' to the tivo.

AbMagFab
08-26-2004, 09:06 AM
He wants a perma-ping to keep the network port active.

pcsmith
09-08-2004, 08:57 PM
is it normal to not see any activity such as KB/s as the shows are transferred from Tivo to Tivo? I've tried both FlashFXP and SmartFTP and both successfully move the files, but both look like they are hung during the copy.

NutKase
09-08-2004, 09:27 PM
is it normal to not see any activity such as KB/s as the shows are transferred from Tivo to Tivo? I've tried both FlashFXP and SmartFTP and both successfully move the files, but both look like they are hung during the copy.

You can use

tail -f /path/to/port.3105.log

to see the transfer happening.

NutKase