PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Sleeper's install hack..

baje55
11-17-2003, 01:45 PM
Gotcha! Problem solved!

Completed hack but Tivo asking for activation. It's telling me service has been suspended because I have not activated Tivo service. Doesn't make sense since I didn't use the phone line after installing sleeper's hack. I know I used the same original hard drive (can't afford a new one yet) so I don't know if this is thd problem.

If anyone has done this successfully with original drive, please post your processes.

My tivo is Tivo TCD140060 Series 2

Sorry! :( :( :( :(

NutKase
11-17-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by baje55
Completed hack but Tivo asking for activation. It's telling me service has been suspended because I have not activated Tivo service. Doesn't make sense since I didn't use the phone line after installing sleeper's hack. I know I used the same original hard drive (can't afford a new one yet) so I don't know if this is thd problem.

If anyone has done this successfully with original drive, please post your processes.

My tivo is Tivo TCD140060 Series 2

Thanks

I'm not sure what you're trying to do. All these hacks are for the purpose of using larger drives, installing software not available on a 'stock' tivo and providing enhanced capabilities for your tivo.

If you haven't activated the tivo you will lose the ability to retrieve guide updates and therefore lose most of the functionality of your tivo.

NutKase

captain_video
11-17-2003, 02:37 PM
The fixsub script included in Sleeper's ISO only allows you to operate your Tivo without the need for a phone connection. This is only desirable if you have a DirecTivo since the guide data is downloaded via the datastream from the satellites. If you have a SA Tivo then you will need a phone connection to obtain guide data. In order to obtain guide data you need to subscribe to the Tivo service. Without the Tivo service your Tivo makes a nice doorstop or extra large paperweight. None of the hacks in this forum are provided to enable theft of the Tivo or DTV services. Purposely attempting to use a Tivo without subscribing to the Tivo service falls into this category.

NutKase
11-17-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by captain_video
The fixsub script included in Sleeper's ISO only allows you to operate your Tivo without the need for a phone connection. This is only desirable if you have a DirecTivo since the guide data is downloaded via the datastream from the satellites.

Thanks, Cap. I learned something there.

If you have a SA Tivo then you will need a phone connection to obtain guide data.

You can get the guide data via a home network and USB wirless adapter too. But as mentioned a subscription to the service is required.

Purposely attempting to use a Tivo without subscribing to the Tivo service falls into this category.

That's a VERY strict interpretation and not necessarily always true.

I may get another tivo and then not subscribe it just to use as a player of video I transfer to it from another tivo in another room or just use it as a 'live' tv digital VCR.

That said, baje55, your post sounds like you were confused into thinking that we hack on our tivo's to get free tivo service. That's just blatantly incorrect. Check my sig.

NutKase

baje55
11-17-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by NutKase
I'm not sure what you're trying to do. All these hacks are for the purpose of using larger drives, installing software not available on a 'stock' tivo and providing enhanced capabilities for your tivo.

If you haven't activated the tivo you will lose the ability to retreive guide updates and therefore lose most of the funcionality of your tivo.

NutKase

Problem solved. Thanks .

Sorry guys :( :( :( :( :( :(