PDA

View Full Version : Stuck at Starting Up, help!

Dank
11-17-2003, 05:33 PM
OK, so roommate just called me and told me the tivo is stuck at the starting up screen. I haven't had a chance to look at it myself yet, but just trying to get some questions out of the way before I get home.

1) Will I possibly be able to still log in and fix stuff through the bash prompt, or does tivo need to start up in order to enable remote logins?
2) Where should I look to try to find what the problem is? Which log files, and for what data?

Thanks.

damonl
11-18-2003, 10:22 AM
Did anything happen or change prior to it not working? I don't think you'll get a bash prompt, but if you watch the serial port you might get some insight into the problem and see how far it gets.

NutKase
11-18-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Dank
OK, so roommate just called me and told me the tivo is stuck at the starting up screen. I haven't had a chance to look at it myself yet, but just trying to get some questions out of the way before I get home.

1) Will I possibly be able to still log in and fix stuff through the bash prompt, or does tivo need to start up in order to enable remote logins?
2) Where should I look to try to find what the problem is? Which log files, and for what data?

Thanks.

You were pretty detailed in your questions but not in what we're dealing with.

What kind of tivo? Which tivo software version? monte'd or not? By starting up screen do you mean: 'Welcome powering up', or 'Almost there, just a few minutes more'?

As for logs, the log files are in /var/log and kernel and messages are what you're looking for.

NutKase

captain_video
11-18-2003, 02:25 PM
There are any number of reasons why you could be stuck at the startup screen. It could be something as simple as reseating the ribbon cable between the mainboard and power supply or it could be as severe as a dead hard drive. A Tivo will power up and display the Welcome screen even without a hard drive connected. Something is preventing the OS from booting and it could be either hardware or software related. If it's not a hardware issue then it may or may not boot up far enough to allow a serial connection to get bash. If you've got bash then you may have an executable file that's part of the boot cycle that's not executing. If you don't have bash then it could still be a non-executing file that's being called earlier in the boot sequence.

Fill in the blanks to the questions NutKase posed and we can probably help you out.

Dank
11-18-2003, 02:52 PM
What kind of tivo? Series 1 standalone, Philips212
Which tivo software version? 3.0
monte'd or not? Don't think so; don't know what that is...
By starting up screen do you mean: 'Welcome powering up', or 'Almost there, just a few minutes more'? "Welcome powering up"

Unfortunately my attempts at fixing it have gone and gooped up the drive even more I think... Now I have some byteswap issues, on top of trying to unlock, so I'd be happy to get it back to how broken it was yesterday. Ugh.

NutKase
11-18-2003, 11:31 PM
Unfortunately my attempts at fixing it have gone and gooped up the drive even more I think... Now I have some byteswap issues, on top of trying to unlock, so I'd be happy to get it back to how broken it was yesterday. Ugh.

Thanks for the STARTING info, but now we're going backwards.

What 'fixing' attempts did you try? What happened? We need to slow down I think :).

NutKase

Dank
11-18-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by NutKase
What 'fixing' attempts did you try? What happened? We need to slow down I think :). Well, lets see...
1) I have a maxtor 120GB, so I had to run qunlock, unfortunately I made my boot disk under XP and didn't realize that even an XP dos boot disk would muck with the signature block. So I went on sub-quest to solve that problem...

2) Even after all that, running qunlock on the drive actually changes it to 0MB from 10MB... Fortunately, putting the drive back in the tivo and powering it up resets that to 10MB.

3) I found MakeTiVoBootable that is supposed to be able to fix the signature block problem, but its options don't give much info, and potentially I hurt things there...

So once I fix all those problems, then I can try to mount the drive in my pc and actually fix my original problem...:eek:

NutKase
11-19-2003, 02:41 AM
Well, lets see...

Well, I can't help you. I have no idea how to do most of what you tried.

NutKase