PDA

View Full Version : Multiswitch Configuration

G35C
11-19-2003, 09:07 PM
I have an oval 18x?? dish with four outputs. I have two coax wires that are accessible in the basement that come from the dish. Is it possible to use a multi switch in the basement using the two lines so that I can have more than two outputs available on the lower floor. I want to put a Tivo in and will need three connection on the ground floor. It would be a lot of trouble running another line from the attic down to the basement(2 story house).

I just keep reading that if you have a 4 output dish, you need an 5x8 multiswitch, but I think If I used a 3x4 it would do the trick. Is this right?

:confused:

ps it has only two dual nlb's

captain_video
11-19-2003, 10:04 PM
If you have a 4-output dish then it's most likely a phase III dish. In order to cascade another multiswitch from the dish you'll need to use a multiswitch specifically designed for this purpose. Here's (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3059952354&category=11726) the type of multiswitch you'll need. The thing is, you may need to run all four lines from the dish to the multiswitch. Give me a little more info about where your receivers are located and the layout of your house. Is it a rancher, two-story or what? Do the lines all run from the dish to a single point in the house and then split up and if so, where in the house does this occur? Try and provide a detailed description of where your dish is and where all the lines run to and I can probably provide some options for your situation.

OK, I didn't see your PS about it only having two LNBs so it's probably not a Phase III dish. Are the four outputs currently being run into a multiswitch? If so, where is it located? You can still cascade a multiswitch off of the existing one but you'll most likley need to supply four lines from the existing multiswitch to the new one. If you don't have a need to access the 119-degree satellite then you may be able to get away with just the two existing feeds and a regular 2X4 or 2X8 multiswitch. Give me the rest of the drtails and we'll work something out.

G35C
11-19-2003, 11:01 PM
Here is what I have (I think?)

Two story house w/ basement.
One Oval dish with two NLB's and four outputs. (I assume its not phase III)

One feed from satalite goes to bedroom(second floor) with RCA DirecTV reciever DRD430RG.
One feed from satalite goes to family room(first floor) with RCA DirecTV reciever DRD450RG.
The other two feeds were hooked up to the statlite, but are not hooked up to anything on the other end(terminate in attic).

All of the coax in my house terminates on one end in the attic.

I have two coax lines that run into the basement from the attic. One is currenly feeding the family room reciever and the other was the main feed from the Cable TV company that ran up to the attic and into a splitter. (not is use now).

Now I want to add a DirecTV Tivo that needs two inputs in the family room and relocate the replaced reciever to my home office(on the first floor).

What I don't want to do is run another cable down to my office. I thought that If I could use the two cable that are there now with a multiswitch (3x4) it would solve my problem.

edit:
I also just noticed that I only recieve a signal at both boxes on the "A" chanel. The "B" chanel stength is zero on all trasponders.

captain_video
11-20-2003, 03:42 PM
Let's see if I understand what your setup is.

1 feed from the dish to the upstairs bedroom receiver

1 feed that runs from the attic to the basement and then up into the family room on the 1st floor

2 feeds from the dish that run into the attic and then stop

1 coax line from a splitter in the attic for the cable TV feed that runs into the basement.

What you want to do:

Replace the receiver in the family room with a dual tuner DirecTivo.

Move the family room receiver to your office on the first floor.

What you need:

a 2nd line to the family room and a new line to your office.

Total lines needed = 4

If the four outputs from the dish are coming from a dish-mounted multiswitch then you should be able to use a cascadable multiswitch. You may need to find out if the feeds from both dual LNBs are connected to a multiswitch mounted on the dish or located in your attic. It is highly unlikely trhat the four coax lines from the dish are coming from the LNBs directly since they each cover different satellites. There will be four coax lines going into the switch and four lines coming out.

Are you currently receiving any programming from the satellite located at 119 degrees? This dish transmits the NASA channel and a lot of ethnic programming. It may also provide your local channels, depending on your location. If this is the case, the only way you can add another multiswitch is to use all four lines coming from the dish. Since you already have one line going to the upstairs bedroom this may not be practical.

If you are only viewing signals from the main satellite at 101 degrees then you should be able to use only 2 lines and a standard 2 or 3-input multiswitch for your receivers on the 1st floor. You may be able to use the cable TV line if it is RG6 cable. If it's RG59 then you should run a new RG6 line from the dish.

Here's a link to a thread at the Tivo Community Forum with some great pics of a cascaded multiswitch setup:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49396

G35C
11-20-2003, 05:09 PM
captain_video,

Thanks for the reply.

That diagram makes sense. I think my satalite doesn't have a built in multiswitch and thus I do not get any reception from the 119 input. No NASA, no HBO latino...... Both my recievers do not pick up anything from Sat B in my system test menu. I think I will switch the cable to the other NLB and see if I pick up those other chanels.

If I don't have the switch, then I could use my cables like the picture shows. One 4x5 in the atic and another 2x8 in the basement. Hopfuly the cable are the right type.

Dave

http://www.feldoncentral.com/TiVo/direcTVmultiswitch4DTVOTAHD.gif

G35C
11-20-2003, 08:14 PM
OK...I'm wrong. Oval Dish has two NLB's but all 4 outputs get the main signal 101 signal but no 119 signal. When they put it in, the two installers said this was the first Ovel dish they did (about 18 months ago) and didn't set it properly and only check the 101 chanels. I think they used the round dish pointing procedures.

live and learn. I guess I wil get the Directv Tivo and have them do the free install. This way I can get them to fix the dish pointing and solve at least that problem.

Thanks for the help again.

GREEK
11-21-2003, 12:34 AM
actually if you call directv themselves, or use on-line order, it will be 99 bucks, and the installer will bring it himself to your home. My neighbor had a weird setup like this, and the installer did a FANTASTIC job running NEW wires and a new 3lnb dish and a multiswitch. He had dish, and bought 3 dtivos, needing 6 lines. The installer used the old to pull the new through, and I was there during this and it was a good install. No charge for the lines or switch, took the guy 3 hours, their policy is they will mostly do whatever you need to get service, switches, wires, and whatever is free if you need them to function, they wont just leave you one cause you might need it someday though. Not sure what subcontracters the major stores use..........

GREEK
11-21-2003, 12:35 AM
actually if you call directv themselves, or use on-line order, it will be 99 bucks, and the installer will bring it himself to your home. My neighbor had a weird setup like this, and the installer did a FANTASTIC job running NEW wires and a new 3lnb dish and a multiswitch. He had dish, and bought 3 dtivos, needing 6 lines. The installer used the old to pull the new through, and I was there during this and it was a good install. No charge for the lines or switch, took the guy 3 hours, their policy is they will mostly do whatever you need to get service, switches, wires, and whatever is free if you need them to function, they wont just leave you one cause you might need it someday though. Not sure what subcontracters the major stores use..........

G35C
11-21-2003, 08:34 AM
I wish they could use the existing cable to pull it thru, but I know how the cables are run. They don't just go up and down, they are drilled thru some of the studs with just the right size bit for one wire. Then the contractor went thru and put Great-Stuff(expanding foam insulation) on any wire, pipe......that was in contact with any piece of wood(they want to vibration..squekes).

I think I will go to ABT in chicago to see if they have the $99 deal. I know they are great about doing a profesional job.

Thanks for the Reply Greek!

captain_video
11-21-2003, 09:17 AM
DTV contracts with local installers if you get the $99 DTivo deal. You still have to pay shipping and local tax but they will do the complete install for you, like GREEK says. I bought one a while back but I already had everything installed and waiting when the installer showed up. All he had to do was plug it in and go through guided setup. They should be able to run the extra cables for you and get it set up the way you want at no extra cost to you. They will even install a free multiswitch if you need one.

The one caveat is that the quality of DTV installers varies tremendously. While some people have had excellent installations, I've read just as many horror stories about botched installs. You can take a gamble and hope you get a good one but if you don't mind paying the extra money it can't hurt to check out some local installers on your own. I'd ask for several references before you commit to anything. If you go with the DTV deal, a local installer wil contact you to confirm the appointment. When they call I would definitely ask for some referrals from other jobs they've done in the area.