PDA

View Full Version : Screwed through Ebay

geminicat
11-20-2003, 06:04 PM
Just recently bought a UTV off of Ebay when I recieved it Tuner 1 had a failure. Should have been more suspecting of the seller. Since alot of the features are not listed. I have a friend that is a master Electronic Engineer that said he will replace the tuner which requires, from all I could read, very good soldering skills. Fortunately he has those skills. Will look around to determine all the parts neede. Just wondering if anybody else has gone through a bad experience with UTV's via Ebay.

xtwister
11-20-2003, 06:56 PM
The ad never said it had two working tuners or even 1.
Thats how people list things on ebay. All the other ads stated either two working tuners or two tuners.

If in doubt or any questions email the seller.

I always do when I am buying something from there. Especially electronics.

Good luck on the repair because two tuners is a great feature!

geminicat
11-20-2003, 08:01 PM
Yeah I hear ya... He never specifically stated the 2 tuners etc but by saying "Ultimate TV. That's what you get when you combine DIRECTV, digital video recording and Internet service from Microsoft." that implies that you get an Ultimate TV system... Ultimate TV's were never made just to be a 1 tuner reciever etc.. but it is a lesson well learned...

xtwister
11-21-2003, 02:23 AM
I agree.. An honest ebayer would state any or all problems with the product that they are selling. Not by ommiting important details. I would still email the guy before you give him feedback and state your concerns about the defective tuner. Maybe he didnt know about it. Some people only have one tuner hooked up to begin with. I know someone who was too lazy to run the extra wire and only uses the one tuner even though they both work for him since I tested it myself at my house.

djohn
11-21-2003, 09:25 AM
And some people run out of ports on their multiswitches so they can only run one tuner without cascading multiswitches ;p

geminicat
11-21-2003, 12:19 PM
You live and learn

xtwister
11-22-2003, 04:02 AM
well we received one at work and it travelled well over 1200miles and it was not packed very well. I didnt think it was going to work at all. I did all tests and surprisingly it was find.. everything worked and still works. that was 2 months ago. Well a dishonest ebays will say that it worked before it was shipped.. honestly the only thing that would have failed is the hard drive. If the unit had any impact then the hd would have errors on it.

well all I can say is give them a bad feed bad and take the loss. And fix the 2nd tuner if you need it. (I know I now do - got used to it)

ryce11
11-23-2003, 02:51 AM
Had the same experience.Wonder if it is the same seller?The seller I dealt with was eb electronicseb electronics he described in full detail how you could record two programs while watching a previously recorded show.When i contacted him he told me i needed 2 cards to make both tuners work.When i informed him of how wrong he was he stopped responding. Maybe there should be an ongoing thread with scammers listed?

aLfer
12-14-2003, 11:26 PM
geminicat: do you know the part number for the replacement tuner? is it available from digikey? thanks...

geminicat
12-16-2003, 09:53 AM
The info is over in AVS. I have to go re read the posts and find the correct parts. Being x-mas I havent found the time to get it sent off yet. I will try and order the part this week and send it off to get repaired next week...