PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate TV Hacking

Howie
11-22-2003, 08:16 PM
I just got a rca dwd490re receiver used from an acqaintance. I have been reading the last couple of days about hacking TIVO's, but there is little information about UTV. All of the great Linux based utilities such as Xtreme, etc. are not available for this unit? None of the FAQ's (Captain Video) I have read apply to UTV? It appears that the only threads in UTV involve reverting back to 3.5.

Is hacking the UTV very limited?

Any info would be appreciated.

xtwister
11-22-2003, 09:53 PM
If you look through all the threads all the information is available is quite easy to do. probably easier than tivo and utv in my opinion is a much easier and better system than a tivo.

djohn
11-23-2003, 04:12 AM
There are not many hacks available for UTV however there are a few. There is some work being done on UTV and hopefully someday we will have some of the nicer mods available for TiVo also available for UTV.

They are however completely different animals, UTV runs a Windows CE variant for its OS and TiVo runs a *nix variant similar to debian as I recall.

There are a few things you can do with UTV but rolling back to 3.5 seems to be the most popular thing to do.

dan0
11-26-2003, 07:32 PM
you don't really need to hack a UTV to make it do al the wonderfull things a Tivo does after ya hack it
(except video extraction) if ya want to work on that

zorlac
12-02-2003, 01:53 PM
There are more hacks for the UTV than you will read about here or just about anywhere...

I really can't say any more here for fear of putting this wonderful site in a potentially legally liable situation.

Please visit my profile and go to the domain you see there.

-Zorlac

djohn
12-02-2003, 02:53 PM
Zorlac, people like you make me sick. Your ebay listing was pointed out to me. I think what you are doing is just flat out low down crappy to the whole community of real testers. Did you just get this handed to you on a silver platter and then decide to cash in or what?

It is one thing to work for something and excersize your brain and another thing to just buy your way to the end result. It is another thing to take someone elses work and profit from it for personal gain.

zorlac
12-02-2003, 03:45 PM
Oops, I used the wrong screen shot. My bad.

As soon as I get a chance, I will update it with the screen shot that clearly shows <edited> instead.

A response to your unexpected and unwarranted flame:

Not that your opinion matters, but I graduated top of my class in electronic engineering and have been working with computers and electronics longer than you have probably been alive.

-Zorlac

djohn
12-02-2003, 03:49 PM
You must have started working with computers before punch cards then.

JJBliss
12-02-2003, 03:56 PM
ZORLAC

Remove your website from your profile immediatley, or you will be banned.

No questions asked.

You have 24 hours to tend to it, or I will.

JJ Bliss

zorlac
12-02-2003, 03:58 PM
Once again, my apologies!

I had no idea there were other "well seasoned" people around here. lol

-Zorlac

zorlac
12-02-2003, 04:02 PM
Changed....

-Zorlac

JJBliss
12-02-2003, 04:08 PM