PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Mount hdc4

deca3
08-11-2001, 05:20 AM
Hello...

Now that I have a backup disk, I want a bash prompt.
I've edited rc.sysinit on /dev/hdc7, no problem.
/dev/hdc4 complains when I try to mount it:
# mount /dev/hdc4 /mnt2
fatfs: bogus cluster size
VFS: Can't find a valid MSDOS filesystem on dev 16:44.
fatfs: bogus cluster size
VFS: Can't find a valid MSDOS filesystem on dev 16:44.
# mount -t ext2 /dev/hdc4 /mnt2
VFS: Can't find a valid ext2 filesystem on dev ide1(22,68).
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc4,
or too many mounted filesystems
#

I can't mount /dev/hdc4 either. Same error. I tried just editing the one on hdc7 and the system keeps on rebooting so I undo my changes. Do anyone has a fix?

Phillips dsr6000

Thanks in Advance,
Deca

Lure
08-11-2001, 06:17 AM
hmmm, had the same problem with a hdr312 but I just left the hdc4 part out and it worked just fine.
you did re-place the jumpers on the HD back?

Vadim
08-11-2001, 10:37 AM
You are either are under 2.5 and tried to chattr +i, WILL NOT WORK or you massed something up.
the way i see it, your hdc4 is empty

rusten
08-28-2001, 03:26 AM
I am attempting to modify the "/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit" file to get a bash prompt on my DirecTivo.
I am using Dylan's Boot disk with my Phillips DSR6000 (R01) DTivo "disk A" (it shipped with the two drive, disk A is 30 GB, disk B is 15 GB) mounted on my PC's IDE bus (primary bus, slave drive as required by the FAQ).

I am able to mount the 7 partition, by explicitly stating the file system (as opposed to the FAQ, which claims you do not need to specify "-t EXT2"). Unfortunately, I cannot mount the the 4 parition.

In Dylan's Boot, I am using the following commands:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
mount -t ext2 /dev/hdb7 /mnt (this works)
mount -t ext2 /dev/hdb4 /mnt (this doesn't work)

Any ideas why I can't mount the 4th (or any other partition other that 7)?

Thanks in advance!
Rusten

Lure
08-28-2001, 03:51 AM
seem some machines have this partition corrupted, don't bother to much about it.

mostlikely you boot from hda7/hdc7 and changing sysinit overthere will do the trick.

if not: just get a back up of a good working uncorrupted machine.

why repairing it the hardway, get a backup

Glitched
08-28-2001, 12:41 PM
i had the exact same problem....
exact same error....
i just edited partition 7 and left 4 as it was.. worked like a charm..

as lure has already suggested, just thought i would add my 2 cents

Lord Magnus
08-28-2001, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by deca3
Hello...

Now that I have a backup disk, I want a bash prompt.
I've edited rc.sysinit on /dev/hdc7, no problem.
/dev/hdc4 complains when I try to mount it:
# mount /dev/hdc4 /mnt2

Phillips dsr6000

Thanks in Advance,
Deca

Just means your system is a virgin and has not gone through an update. Normal. Don't hassle it.

LM

Nitz
09-10-2001, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by rusten
I am attempting to modify the "/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit" file to get a bash prompt on my DirecTivo.
I am using Dylan's Boot disk with my Phillips DSR6000 (R01) DTivo "disk A" (it shipped with the two drive, disk A is 30 GB, disk B is 15 GB) mounted on my PC's IDE bus (primary bus, slave drive as required by the FAQ).

I am able to mount the 7 partition, by explicitly stating the file system (as opposed to the FAQ, which claims you do not need to specify "-t EXT2"). Unfortunately, I cannot mount the the 4 parition.

In Dylan's Boot, I am using the following commands:
mount -t ext2 /dev/hdb7 /mnt (this works)
mount -t ext2 /dev/hdb4 /mnt (this doesn't work)

Any ideas why I can't mount the 4th (or any other partition other that 7)?

Thanks in advance!
Rusten

Neither partitions mount and I get the following error message back:

mount:/dev/hdc4 has wrong major or minor number

This is a virgin Directivo that has never even been plugged in yet. I would like to get the BASH prompt on it but I am unable to mount the drive. Should put it back together and turn it on? I don't want to initiate aTivo setup that would require me to connect the phone line or power off the unit in the middle of the setup.

Glitched
09-10-2001, 09:02 PM
just modify partition 7 and leave partition 4 as it is.... see tivo only boots from one partition anyway, one is a backup(or something like that) the reason you cant mount partition 4 is because your tivo has never taken an upgrade, so partition 4 is blank(i think)... long story short just change partition 7 put the thing back together and your good. worked for me ...;)

Lord Magnus
09-10-2001, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Glitched
just modify partition 7 and leave partition 4 as it is.... see tivo only boots from one partition anyway, one is a backup(or something like that) the reason you cant mount partition 4 is because your tivo has never taken an upgrade, so partition 4 is blank(i think)... long story short just change partition 7 put the thing back together and your good. worked for me ...;)

You can verify this by running edit_bootparams in the mad32 dir on the boot CD. It should point to /hdc7 at the root.

Nitz
09-10-2001, 10:46 PM
I get the error on both partitions 7 and 4. Neither one can be mounted.

When I analyze the boot log, partition 4 is listed as bootstrap type. should i be running the command with the -t set as "bootstrap" instead of "ext2"?

Is it a known fact that you can get a BASH prompt on a Directivo?
What is the name of the partition I am looking for as oposed to the number?