PDA

View Full Version : utv 3.7 code

whynodss
11-30-2003, 05:21 PM
if i am unsuccesful at hot swapping my existing utv 3.7 drive....is it possible to either download the 3.7 file from here or can i just apply the 3.5 file...why should i be concerned with copying and hot swapping my 3.7 drive if i purchased a brand new 80 gb drive and only want the 3.5 code???

please advise...

geminicat
11-30-2003, 10:26 PM
s it possible to either download the 3.7 file from here or can i just apply the 3.5 file

I believe you can download the file's at tivostuff.com. Yes you can just apply the 3.5 file. I personally saved all my images 3.5 and 3.7 in case they were IRD specific... Also its interesting to try and stare and compare and see what the differences are. Not that I know what any of it means but still you can look at each code in Winhex and if someone ever comes out with a map of what each code does/means then UTV hacking will take a step further..

why should i be concerned with copying and hot swapping my 3.7 drive if i purchased a brand new 80 gb drive and only want the 3.5 code

If all you want is the 3.5 OS then there is no need to save the 3.7.

whynodss
12-01-2003, 07:39 AM
thank you...the problem now is when my utv boots it is auto dialing web tv...and i dont want that..it wont bring up the utv welcome screen

any ideas...

it is in a dial out loop to web tv

geminicat
12-01-2003, 08:51 AM
try again. are you using an unformatted hard drive ?? what is the drive size..?? after you copied the image over did you get a proper response. Did you change the jumper settings back... etc..

whynodss
12-02-2003, 08:50 AM
80 gig wd jb drive....what i did is just copy the 3.5 file to the new drive....i think the bytes are in the wrong spot on the drive...my question is this....ok i run winhex....choose my f: drive which is my brand new untouched hard drive....i will say i run the western dig software to recognize the new drive.....the i zero the drive out..all zeros in the byte fields.....now my question is...how do i get the 3.5 file info to the f: drive..in the position it needs to be in.....

thanx

geminicat
12-02-2003, 09:29 AM
but you don't need to run the "western dig software"..

Anyways if the drive is zeroed out you then need to open Winhex
Select Tools, Then Disk Tools, then Clone Disk.

The dialog Clone Disk(Copy Sectors) will appear

Click on the button next to Source file

A new window will appear that says Select Disk. Make sure the line"Read sectors from image file." is checked. Click OK.

Now find the 3.5 or 3.7 image on your hard drive and select it.

In the dialog Clone Disk(Copy Sectors). Make sure "Copy entire source file." is checked

In Start sector(dest. disk): Put in 631811 (this is LBA 13480600 or sector 09a403 in Hex).

Click OK. It will write the sectors and the drive should be showing the data starting at 13480600. NOTE: You will get warning messages about writing to your drive

At the end it should say. 65536 sectors copied

Thats all you need to do IF the drive is already zeroed out.. If the Drive was put in your PC as a Slave then you need to change the jumper settings back to Master and install back into the UTV.. In regards to installing the Drive so that your system can recognize it I believe that is not needed.. Anytime I have done this procedure I have never tried to install the Drive on to my PC.. My PC has recognized that there is hardware to install and I always cancel the install wizard. Even though the drive may not be "installed" on the PC you should still be able to see it with Winhex...

cyberbob25
12-02-2003, 12:28 PM
Also, I'm not sure about this, but I think win2000 also writes it's signature to the drive when you shut down like XP does. If this is the case, then you must also remove the hard drive from computer before powering down.

geminicat
12-02-2003, 05:22 PM
I agree with Cyberbob. the other thing to do is just Hard powerdown on the PC... not sure if that is good for the puter though.. :confused:

whynodss
12-02-2003, 08:54 PM
thanx a lot i will try this....what is the easiest way to zero the drive out..i lost my instructions.....also if a drive is brand new...isnt it already zeroed????

also....i have a drive i need to unlock and the hotswap i cannot figure out.....my win2k i cannot figure out when to pause the system prior to the ide being read...so i tried the unlock program mdh3.exe....and it must not support win2k..cause it opened fine in win 98 on my laptop..but not my win2k....

does anyone have a clean copy of the unlock program..if so can you please pm it to me or post it....cause the one i downloaded on here is not running for me...

you guys are so helpful..thank you so much!!!

cyberbob25
12-02-2003, 09:21 PM
As I posted back on AVS Forum, MHD3 will work on your system, you just have to create a DOS boot disk.

Also, stated in the other forum, you hit pause/break right before your computer scans for hard drives on the IDE channels. If your system is a Dell, or another system that shows a splash screen instead of your POST, then F2 (for Dell, you would have to consult your manual for other systems) should show the POST screen. Once again, you hit pause/break right before it scans for hard drives.

More often than not, yes, a new hard drive comes unformatted. If you have already put this drive in your UTV however, it has been locked. If you have ever put this drive in your PC, then windows will have written it's signature to the drive and will also not work.

Hope this helps...

geminicat
12-02-2003, 10:43 PM
WHYNODSS

I have asked this question to you a few times now. Can you please give us a rundown of what type of PC you are running.. ie; how many harddrives? How many other devices are running on your PC??? CD Drive/CD RW Drive???

The first question that comes to mind .. Is do you know how to create a DOS boot disk?? Place a floppy in your drive and go to my Computer , right click on your floopy drive (usually A) choose format, there should be a section that states create boot disk, check that box.. let it format... when it is complete take the "unzipped" MHDE program highlight it copy it to your floppy drive (A).. Then you have a boot disk.. When you come to the DOS prompt on startup type in MHD3 ... you should get a list of the drive you have.

1: make a dos boot disk.
2: unzip mhd3.zip and copy mhd3.exe to the boot disk.
3: power down computer and hook drive into primary or secondary ide channel. It can be master or slave, and can be after a already installed drive such as a master cdrom.
4: Boot with dos disk.
5: run mhd3
6: select desired drive. The installed drives are listed 1 to 4.
7: Program will show what it is doing and then display a '.' every 10 seconds until done.
8: do not power off while running or you will have to start all over again.
9: program will tell you when it is finished.
It normally takes 28 minutes to clear an original utv drive. All this program does is allow re-use of a utv locked drive. It has no other use. Enjoy!

NOTE: I have used this program many times now and the only problem I have ever encountered is after the 28 minutes, for 40GB drives, DO NOT end the program let it sit on the A prompt for another 30 minutes at least... Everytime I have taken the Harddrive outv immediately after MHD3 has stated it is done it has always been locked. Everytime I have let it sit for 30 minutes (40GB) drives it is always been good to go.. Now if you need to unlock the 80GB drive I would, if it were me, let it sit for an hour after the MHD3 program has completed. Many other people have had success with taking the drive immediately after MHD3 is completed however I am not one of them.. So to be on the safe side thats what I would do...

whynodss
12-03-2003, 08:38 AM
i do have a dell computer and still unsure how you pause the system prior to knowing at what point in the bootup of the puter it is loading the ide....i have win2k and when trying to make boot disk it asks to put in my win2k disc..i have no disc as it was preloaded by dell and i also noticed the win2k boot disc is 4 disks...so if i were to be successful in making a boot disk...which of the 4 disks does the unluck program get copied to....

i have an existing 40gb drive as my master system drive.....and my new drive to be used in my utv is a wdjb series 80 gb drive....

thanx so much guys!!!

geminicat
12-03-2003, 09:51 AM
When you follow these commands " Place a floppy in your drive and go to my Computer , right click on your floopy drive (usually A) choose format, there should be a section that states create boot disk, check that box.. let it format " that the PC asks you to put in your win2k disc???

whynodss
01-18-2004, 11:41 AM
how do i zero out my drive...it currently just was pulled from an old computer...40 gb seagate with win 98 on it...so how do i zero it out and get it prepared for winhex and the application

cyberbob25
01-18-2004, 11:12 PM
Please, for the sake of keeping these forums a bit organized, don't flood your questions. Posting it in one thread will do.

whynodss
01-18-2004, 11:25 PM
Please, for the sake of keeping these forums a bit organized, don't flood your questions. Posting it in one thread will do.

well if you call a few questions in a whole day flooding...sorry....its amazing how i say thank u and its so well received

nonothing
01-19-2004, 01:03 AM
So if I have a 3.5 image do I just hook up my new drive to an ide cable after the computer is running and use winhex to copy the 3.5 image to the new drive?? Or do I have to reboot the computer with the new drive installed and and hit pause enter then run winhex .

cyberbob25
01-19-2004, 03:11 AM
whynodss -

I wasn't trying to be mean, and I'm sorry you took it that way...I was simply saying that when you have a question, please just post your question one time in one thread, rather than posting the exact same question in 3 or 4 different threads...that's all...nothing more, nothing less.

As for your question about zeroing out your drive pulled a win98 machine, there are two ways of doing it. First, you can create a boot disk and run the MHD3 program from DOS, or you can simply start winhex and fill the drive with 00's. Just choose offset 0 as the start of your block and the last offset as the end of your block. Then just copy over the OS. You also want to unplug the drive BEFORE shutting down the computer if you are running Windows 2000 or XP. This whole procedure is described in great detail at

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=260188&highlight=herculito

This is also why I'm such an advocate about not posting your questions in multiple threads...when a new user wants to find information, it becomes nearly impossible when it's spread out across 25 threads, as this topic has. Again, I'm not trying to be mean.

nononothing -

We need a little bit more detail to accurately answer your question. What OS are you running? Is it a brand new hard drive? Has it ever been in a UTV?

If the drive is not new, but has never been in another UTV, then simply follow my steps and link above to empty it, as it is not locked, there's nothing else special that needs to be done.

If the drive is not new, and has come out of another UTV unit, then you must either 00 out the hard drive using MHD3 as stated above, or you must use the hot swap method to gain access to your hard drive. Both of these procedures are covered in great detail in other threads.

If the drive is new, then there's nothing special that needs to be done, as the drive is already empty and not locked. Just put the drive in your computer and follow the steps as outlined in my link above.

klassic
01-19-2004, 07:30 PM
whynodss
If you have Win2k you don't have to do the pause trick...
Just hot swap your drive with the computer running, then go to device manager and do a search for new hardware.. it will see the drive and away you go.

whynodss
01-19-2004, 07:34 PM
whynodss
If you have Win2k you don't have to do the pause trick...
Just hot swap your drive with the computer running, then go to device manager and do a search for new hardware.. it will see the drive and away you go.

what if the drive is locked and i am using it as a slave drive...i have tried and it doesnt recognize it..i will try again

klassic
01-19-2004, 07:46 PM
Don't use it as a slave....
Take an IDE cable from your CDrom

You can't use a locked drive... you have to hotswap it first. If it is already out of the UTV you will have to use MHD3 to zero it, then hook it up to the computer's IDE... in MASTER.

If you are having trouble making a bootable floppy.....
If you can get your hands on a Win95/98/ME startup disk, you could load MHD3 on that and run it from the directory (a:\>dir) after the computer has booted with the startup disk. e.g a:\>MHD3.exe

nonothing
01-20-2004, 01:06 AM
I will be using a brand new WD 80 gig model WD800JBRTL3. My OS is XP pro

nonothing
01-22-2004, 11:31 PM
Which number do I type in for the start sector 631811, or sector 09a403 ??

cyberbob25
01-22-2004, 11:55 PM
Start at 631811