PDA

View Full Version : Sony T60 Pixelation Signal Issues. LNB?

daign
12-03-2003, 07:00 PM
Hello all,

I am new to the forums and wanted to thank all of you for the help and great posts you've kept online for us newbies to TiVos and hacking to read. Its been invaluable.

I am running into pixelation issues that look like rain fade to others with my new Sony T60. AKA Melting

The facts:

1. Sony SAT-T60 bought off ebay from reputable seller with non DOA. Warranty sealed. 18" RCA Round Dish with Dual LNB purchased from another reputable ebayer who sells many dishes.

2. Dish Installed myself with quality satellite 50' coax cables from Fry's Electronics.

3. Dish, LNB, and cables tested for a month on a normal Sony Directv Receiver with no 'melting issues' ever. No signal issues.

4. Removed 40gb drive and kept for backup, Installed 2 120 drives. 7200rpm Maxtor 120, and 7200rpm Seagate 120.

5. Installed 2.5 without a hitch using Surgeon's T60 image off tivostuff.com. Booted T60, zapped EPROM, Installed 2.5.2 with xplusz off tivostuff.com.

From the moment I got this tivo running using a newly supplied P5? card from directv (it looks newer than p4) it occasionally displays blockyness in the image aka 'melting' aka 'pixelation', followed by a loss of dolby digital signal or audio. I have yet to be able to narrow down this issue.

I have done the following:

1. Took out both drives and slow formatted them. Full step by step 2.5.2 install following Capn Video's how to precisely. Reinstall, same thing the next day.

2. Swapped the seagate and maxtor from the A and B positions during redo

3. Swapped out the TiVo IDE cable with a new one from my PC.

4. Tested both tuners. Both get professional install quality signals on the normal Transponders. I can list the levels when I get home. A friend with a t60 was impressed with my signal levels.

5. Tried both cables from the LNB on both tuners. Same quality levels.

6. Removed case to allow heat dissapation, Verified cable to fan and fan is working. Average temp of 49C.

I have seen these annoying melting issues sporatically since I started using this unit. I've used my deductive logic to try most of everything I've read and I'm about stumped.

My regular Sony DTV unit works exceptional on both LNB lines.

I have read a few posts on tivocommunity.com about the T60 being incompatible with older LNBs. Something about frequency? Has anyone experienced this?

This issue occurs in both recordings and live tv throughout until I reboot the unit completely. This usually resolves the issue temporarily.

This is killing me, I hate fighting with machines, I usually win! :mad:

Thanks for all the help guys,
daign

echo
12-03-2003, 07:36 PM
I have a sony sat-t60 that is running Xtreme2.5.2 with xplusz on a stock 40G and a second 60G (maxtor) drive from a single 18" dish with dual lnb and I don't see any pixelation or melting as you're describing here. Have you ever try to put the stock 40G drive back into the tivo and see if you're still getting the pixelation problem?

daign
12-03-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by echo
Have you ever try to put the stock 40G drive back into the tivo and see if you're still getting the pixelation problem?

Briefly, but I have no phone at home to dial in with or activate my tivo service. I could take it over to a friends house and let it dial in a suppose.

daign

jocamero
12-06-2003, 01:00 PM
See this thread: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29274&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

In the future pls do a search.

daign
12-07-2003, 08:50 PM
I read that thread thoroughly and every other one I could before posting this.

Thanks for policing the internet though.

I've ordered a new LNB to try that...

-daign

cali
12-08-2003, 07:57 AM
Your problem could be anything dude....

Seems as if you have narrowed it down to the tivo. Now go ahead and narrow it down to even or odd xpndrs. If its both then u gotta start diggin on the tivo.

Small power glitched in the tuner circuitry can cause this.....this one would be a very time consuming one....
oh and warranty seal in tact doesnt mean anything......I can remove em all day and put em back on and you would never know...