PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Security ATA, Reading HD from Dead XBOX

lord_oberon
12-05-2003, 10:34 AM
I have a Xbox HD with security unabled, i need the password so i can unlock it, thiers some importent files i need off of it. The original XBOX it came out of is dead so i can't use the swap method. IS thier another way to get the password(without having to build a prob) or unlock it.

I've done some reading, i got a tone of utils but they always ask for the password. I even tried to the UTV utility for unlocking the drive and it doesn't work. Thr software says erasing password.... then ends and it's still locked.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx in Andvace

djohn
12-05-2003, 12:23 PM
If the drive utilities that you have run didn't mess up the data on the hard drive and you still have the old motherboard around you can desolder the eeprom that stores the password on the mainboard and solder it to a different board and then do the swap method. If the utilities you ran work by erasing the drive like I suspect they do then your data is already gone and it is tough cookies.

lord_oberon
12-06-2003, 12:09 AM
I don't think The utility erased the drive. But thats pretty crazy to do something like that. I was looking for a less drastic solution.

mrblack51
12-06-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by lord_oberon
I don't think The utility erased the drive. But thats pretty crazy to do something like that. I was looking for a less drastic solution.

if the motherboard from the old unit is dead, then thats the only option

djohn
12-09-2003, 02:09 PM
This link will provide you additional details on how to recover using the eeprom from your dead board.

http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/recover-locked-hd.php

lord_oberon
12-10-2003, 02:46 AM
Thanx for all the help.

rc3105
12-10-2003, 04:29 AM
you can bypass the security on some drives by swapping the controller board from an identical unlocked drive

if you have a copy of the xbox eeprom you might be able to generate the drive password with liveinfo. take a look at http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?act=ST&f=45&t=135420&hl=liveinfo&st=0

as a general precaution it's good to use ConfigMagic to unlock & re-lock any xbox drive. the master password is set to "TEAMASSEMBLY" in the process so you can allways unlock it later

better still to write the password on the drive with a sharpie ;)