PDA

View Full Version : DSR6000 Overheated

ginko
12-08-2003, 11:50 AM
Hi,

I performed the upgrade to 2.52 over the weekend and everything went smoothly except for the fact that I forgot to hook the cooling fan back up.

My DTivo apparently over-heated and shut down and now will not boot up.

I waited overnight for everything to cool down and plugged it in this morning. The fan has power and so do the drives but no lights on the front of the machine. I have removed the drives and tried them back in the PC and they are recognized by the bios and seem to spin-up.

Not sure how I should proceed. I thought that they would shut down automactically before any real damage could occour. Is this not the case? Am I fried? Any help is appreciated.

~d

tytyty
12-08-2003, 12:18 PM
I would pull and reseat the small white ribbon cable that goes from the power supply to the motherboard the heat may have affected its contacts.

ginko
12-08-2003, 12:40 PM
I will try that when I get home. Thanks!!!

~d

David Bought
12-08-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by ginko
I performed the upgrade to 2.52 over the weekend and everything went smoothly except for the fact that I forgot to hook the cooling fan back up.

Smooth move pal. PM GREEK and he'll tell you what the cadaver is worth.

ginko
12-08-2003, 02:36 PM
I don't think I will be able to handle this death in my family right before Christmas.

I would really like to know if it is toast or not. I will PM Greek and see what he says. I haven't been home yet to try reseating the power cable. I really hope the ribbon cable is the problem.

~d

GREEK
12-08-2003, 06:44 PM
I would tend to go with Bought on this one. Hes absolutely right that most times they are toast, unless something obvious is shot...

kaustic
12-08-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by GREEK
I would tend to go with Bought on this one. Hes absolutely right that most times they are toast, unless something obvious is shot...

Can you please elaborate on which parts of the tivo are powered down by the thermal shutdown circuitry?

Or does it just make the software lock up with an error message and leave the drive spinning, CPU running, etc.?

ginko
12-09-2003, 12:45 AM
So when I got home I again pulled the drives and re-seated both ribbon cables.

Put the drives back in and nothing. Same as before, the fan powered on and the little diode lights on the bottom of the drives lit up. Nothing on the front of the machine and no boot up screen or anything, so I pulled the drives out and started looking for any obvious signs of burning or melting.

I could see nothing so I thought I would try and see what would happen if I just plugged it back in without the drives in at all. I plugged it in and it didn't go very far without the drives but the green power light on the front was lit up!!!

So then I unplugged it afrom the wall again and tried booting up with the drives connected only to the power but not the IDE cable. And again she booted but didn't get very far because the drives weren't actually connected.

Of course after that I hooked the drives up properly and my Little Tivo guy came back to life. I plugged the fan in and all was good.

I am not sure if it was the re-seating of the ribbon cable or what. Maybe after I re-seated them, they still weren't right untill I moved things around a bit. I am just happy that all is well again.

Having the Tivo sickness/addiction, and eventhough I still had one functioning DSR6000 at home, I did purchase another one today off of Ebay, used but working fine for $179USD. I was in mourning for the one I thought I had lost and greiving always goes better with a little shopping. Great deal and another for my collection. Maybe the purchase was a little premature as the thing is.....I only have 2 TVs!!!

~d

1 DSR6000 146hours
1 DSR6000 48 hours
1 DSR6000 on the way that I will be putting 2 X 120GB drives in!!!

Thanks for all of your help. I don't post much but this forum really rocks. I am in Canada and it isn't easy to get a Tivo working up here. I have used this forum for my research for about 2.5 years and the information here is invaluable. Thanks to everyone for making this forum great.