PDA

View Full Version : UTV Preview Mode

TwinCities_UTV
12-12-2003, 11:14 AM
FYI - I have also posted this issue on the AVS forum. You can find that thread here:

AVS Thread (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=336631)

I successfully upgraded my UTV with a 120GB Seagate hard drive yesterday. Everything is working great with one big exception. My UTV is in preview mode and won't let me watch more than 10 minutes of each recorded program. I have been a paid subscriber to the UTV service since March 2001. I called DirecTV and they said they sent the issue to their engineering department and they will be looking into it. They also indicated that a "few others" were having this same problem.

Is anyone in this forum having this problem currently or have you had this problem in the past? If so, were you able to fix it without DirecTV's intervention? If not, I guess I'll have to wait patiently until a fix is available. :confused:

geminicat
12-12-2003, 11:50 AM
Assuming you are using Version 3.7 OS did you apply it manually using winhex or have the unit "phone home"?

TwinCities_UTV
12-12-2003, 12:10 PM
I used a brand new, out of the box hard drive and I had the unit "phone home". I had to use my own ISP to get it to download all 297 parts. After it downloaded all parts, I had version 3.7.

geminicat
12-12-2003, 12:52 PM
would be to try and apply the 3.7 OS via winhex. Follow Herculitos post and apply the 3.7 OS at the same place it educates you to apply the 3.5 OS. However to do that you need a clean version of 3.7 (at Tivo Stuff I believe) and a full copy of winhex (not eval). Howver if the above does not appeal to you I would try and redownload the 3.7 OS again.

C&P - Jenny Code

7. Jenny code - supposedly completely resets the entire unit. Perhaps that would allow a "fresh"
download of the OS. The Jenny code is option(menu 2x)+8675309 (like the old song).
If you use it, this will wipe out ALL settings and recordings on your unit. ( I found this to be not completely true, although it will cause the unit to request a phone-line based software update) History reamains after this one.

My experience with tech's saying we will look into it and get back to you is very bad. Thats just me. Also based on the fact that the UTV is a discontinued piece of hardware that is still "supported". Would leave me to believe that on the overall level of importance you are right behind bathroom break, lunch, or IM chatting where the techs are concerned.. LOL

djohn
12-12-2003, 01:39 PM
I can not imagine your image being corrupted or anything or it would invalidate the checksum and make the unit want to dial to fix itself.

My suggestion might be that while you had your unit unplugged and upgrading (no timeframe given as far as the speed of your upgrade) that perhaps the programming on your card expired and the UTV feature is not turned on in your cards programming right now.

I would think that they would have tried turning it on again if you called them with this problem but again you didn't specify details of what they might have tried to fix the problem.

Likelyhood of a bad image download that functions fine with the exception of UTV features enabled is surely slim to none. I assume since you get the demo mode you are able to record and stuff, just not watch more then 10 min.

I am fairly sure if they would turn UTV on in your card that you would have working UTV functions.

TwinCities_UTV
12-12-2003, 02:07 PM
Yes, DirecTV did try to reset my unit. They inactivated my UTV service and then reactivated it, but this didn't fix my problem.

I assume my 3.7 image is OK, but I did receive an error message while downloading. During the download of part 295 of 297, I received an error message that simply said "Error code 20" and was given an option to "retry". I chose the "retry" option and the download continued as normal.

All other aspects of my UTV unit are working just fine. I can record programs (even 2 at once), but I can't watch more than 10 minutes of each recorded program.

I had the unit unplugged for about 30 minutes while I was swapping out the hard drive. I was then downloading the software for about 6 hours (I tried to download through the default WebTV connection a few times, but then was forced to switch to my own ISP).

djohn
12-12-2003, 02:27 PM
Ok, that isn't it then. I was thinking perhaps you had it unplugged for most of a week or something.

I don't have any better ideas other then either wait on DTV, reset the unit and if it wants to download again just let it, or copy your OS off of the old drive which is now impossible since it is locked, and the UTV won't unlock it without starting formatting, and restoring that image on your larger drive.

The OS image is available at tivostuff I believe and/or you could try downloading the whole thing with your own ISP again this time. I don't think it could be your image but it might be and reloading would eliminate that possibility.

TwinCities_UTV
12-12-2003, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestions djohn & geminicat. I think I'll wait a day or two for DirecTV to see if they come up with anything and if not, I'll try to reset the unit and re-download the OS.

I am holding out hope for DirecTV to come up with something, because they did mention that a "few others" were also having this same problem.

TwinCities_UTV
12-13-2003, 09:55 PM
Well, I used the "jenny" code and re-downloaded the OS. Everything went smooth, but I'm still stuck in demo mode! I can record all the programming I want, but I can only watch the first 10 minutes of any recording. I get a message saying I need to call DirecTV and sign up for UTV service. I've been a subscriber since March 2001!

I've called DirecTV numerous times about this issue and the last person I talked to said she was going to send me a new access card to see if that resolves the issue. I also discovered that a couple of others over in the AVS forum are also having this issue.

I want my UTV service back!!

moneyshotz
12-14-2003, 04:45 AM
does it work when you put your original hdd back in?

TwinCities_UTV
12-14-2003, 10:19 AM
I haven't tried that. Can I simply put it back in?

djohn
12-14-2003, 12:55 PM
No, you can't. When you put the original drive back in it will start formatting and if you let it finish then your new drive will do the same when you switch them.

The drives are password locked and there is a new password generated for each drive.

moneyshotz
12-14-2003, 06:31 PM
oh sorry...i didnt know....im fresh out of ideas too

Eklectick
12-15-2003, 12:24 AM
I copied this info from another forum about a year ago, when I used to have UTV. I now have TiVO. Although I never had the demo problem I found this info intresting and worthy to keep in case of an eventuality. When I got these codes, version 3.5 was current and do not know if any are still valid for version 3.7. There is a code that talks about "retail demo" as well as a "web tv" demo. I did not discover nor used any of these codes and as you can see, some of them could cause "serious" problems on your IRD so, you have been warned and use at your own risk.

Regards

C&P follows:

----------------------------

UTV RESETS

With the IRD off, using the remote control, reset by pressing the menu/options button 3 times and then pressed buttons 12357 on the remote.

M-M-M-7225000 = soft reset and wipes the guide
M-M-M-12357 = Soft Reset and clears CAM-ID
M-M-M-23768 = Soft Reset
M-M-M-23552355 = Hard Reset and clears all info, recordings, my shows and recorded movies.

The front panel of the UTV will multi-flash various colors if the code is entered correctly.

Format HDD: Press Menu-Options key 3 times then enter code 2355
code 32768 Soft reboot of the receiver
code 55325532 Deletes everything but the browser
code 24682468 Trashes the browser image

Secret Codes
411 - Shows technical information for the box.
217 - Go to phone settings
7264 - Clears tellyscript (not dialing options, etc. currently also clear the tv listings.(Oct,2000)

7265 - Clears tellyscript (not dialing options, etc.).currently also clear the tv listings.(Oct,2000)

32768 - Clear flash NV RAM (including tellyscript, dialing options, etc. If the box is locked, then this secret code is disabled._(When the box is locked, the message light on the box flashes 5 times)

12357 - Here's what it does: Clear dialing options. Clear tellyscript and send user back through scriptless. Turn on audible dialing for diagnostic purposes.(unknown build)

77437 - Spooky Dialing Options

6502 - Mfg test code. (Go to Channel 100 directly) build 6684 and later. If the box is locked, then this secret code is disabled._ (When the box is locked, the message light on the box flashes 5 times)

110698 - Enable Offhook detect (Yellow light flashes)

110598 - Disable Offhook detect (Red light flashes)

072358 - Queries offhook detect state (yellow light-on, red light-off)

989898 - Set the client version number to 1.(useful for verifying approm upgrade) (This code will be turned off before shipment)

8675309 - Boot into Mini-Browser for downloading Boot or App ROMS (primarily development use for flashing BootROMS; unknown build)._Currently work with external bootrom(2545) only Oct,2000

5309 - Shorter version of 8675309. Boot into Mini-Browser for downloading Boot or App ROMS (primarily development use for flashing BootROMS; unknown build). currently work with external bootrom(2545)only.Oct, 2000t; This code does not work when approm corrupted. Use 8675309 when approm corrupted.

7225000 - Clears TV listings (unknown build).

7335000 - Clears TV IR codes (unknown build).

23552355- OUT OF THE BOX CODE. Clears everything, except OS.

//internal builds only

972180 - Enable retail demo
242424 - Show Crash Log
711 - DirecTV data stream diagnostic
744744 - VFatHax - Browse file system

code 55325532---Deletes everything but the browser
code 24682468---Trashes the browser image
code 217--------WebTV dialup options. This is really handy because then you don't have to dial into the webtv software to get into it. See 77437 for more info.

code 411--------Displays the WebTV Technical Information Screen. Displays the WebTV client and boot software version. The SSID, Chip version, SysConfig (unknown purpose), information on the modem, and the hard drive model number.

code 7225000----Forces a redownload of the Electronic Program Guide (EPG)

code 77437------Obscure WebTV dialing settings. Let's you change the dialing prefix or manually enter an access number.

code 031158-----Runs a demo for WebTV. Note that 061185 turns this demo off

code 7264-------Calls for a new tellyscript.

code 07081969---Forces unit to redownload webtv software.

code 8675309----Forces unit to redownload webtv software. This takes 30 minutes so don't waste your time trying it. If you want to cancel just turn the unit off, but it does loose your webtv setting and you have to walk through the normal setup process,
so fair warning.

TwinCities_UTV
12-15-2003, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, however, I'm a little reluctant to try any new codes. I've already used the "jenny" code to reload the OS and have also used the 23552355 code to reset the unit. Both codes got me right back to where I was - a perfectly working UTV unit stuck in preview (demo) mode.

Others are now reporting that they are having the same problem I am. You can see some of those reports on the AVS forum by clicking here: UTV Preview Mode (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=336631) It appears that anyone who has upgraded their hard drive or used the 23552355 reset code within the past few days, gets stuck in the UTV preview mode. I'm holding out hope that DirecTV will be able to resolve this issue! I've called them multiple times and they told me "our engineers are looking into the problem".

TwinCities_UTV
12-15-2003, 06:55 PM
Well, I tried the new access card that I received in the mail today and that didn't fix it either! I'm still stuck in preview (demo) mode and can't watch more than 10 minutes of any of my recorded programs. I called into DirecTV and they said that their engineers are "looking into it", but couldn't tell me when they would have it fixed.

I would encourage anyone with this problem to call into DirecTV to report it, so they will push this issue through a little faster.

TwinCities_UTV
12-17-2003, 04:39 PM
There is a theory on the AVS forum about the UTV units that are locked in preview (demo) mode. Look for the posting from "buttplug" in this link:

Missing file (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=336631&pagenumber=2)

If this theory is correct, then hopefully DirecTV will be able to fix the problem by adding the missing file(s) back to the data stream.

teacherspet
12-18-2003, 04:06 PM
Will I mess up to took off the history now all I get is
the UTV Preview Mode

aLfer
12-18-2003, 06:36 PM
OK looks like this problem has been resolved. Thanks to some of the great minds out there including bluecop and satchmoe for this excellent information. The culprit seems to be a file called authfile.dat. When you perform the 23552355 code or swap a HD out, this file is not present. Until a week ago it seems the file was sent through the stream as soon as the unit was connected to your satellite. authfile.dat is the same on every unit so there is no subscriber specific information in the file. The file resides in a 64MB fat16 partition on your hard drive called browser, and this partition is in different physical locations on the drive depending on its size. I have attached three different versions of the browser partition (including the authfile.dat) for 40, 80, and 120 gig harddrives. They are completely empty except for authfile.dat as well as a few other necessary browser files, so they are highly compressable, hence the small size. Other hard drive sizes are possible as well, however its a bit more complicated.

Basically you will perform steps similar to upgrading/downgrading your OS version with a hex editor. Since there are many other posts regarding this process on this forum as well as others, I wont go into the specifics of it. You will need to write the correct image based on your hard drive size at the following offsets:

browser40 to be written sector 71873904
browser80 to be written sector 154545024
browser120 to be written sector 228150192
(more detailed sector and dec conversion information accompanies the .rar)

To do this you basically open your drive in winhex, go to tools>disk tools>clone disk, select the proper image (depending on your drive's size) check copy entire source file, and type the correct sector number under start sector (destination) and click OK.

Thats it, your browser partition now contains authfile.dat and should reenable your utv functions. NOTE: When this partition is written, it will overwrite all information regarding anything you have recorded, so your my shows will be empty. Also, you will lose locals, and they will need to be updated by the stream which may take a few hours. Small price to pay to get those features back. Hopefully DTV will put this file back in the stream sometime soon, but if you cannot wait until then this is the way to do it.

The attachment is in .bmp form, you will need to rename it to browser.rar and then extract. Good luck!

aLfer

PS: After you extract browser.rar, you will have THREE SEPERATE RAR FILES. These are NOT the images to apply to your drive. You have to extract the proper one for your drive before cloning it (it will be 64MB in size)

PPS: BEFORE YOU USE THESE IMAGES READ THIS ENTIRE THREAD. NOT EVERY 40, 80 OR 120 GB DRIVE IS THE SAME. DIFFERENT MANUFACTURERS WILL REQUIRE DIFFERENT SETTINGS. EVEN DIFFERENT MODEL NUMBERS FROM THE SAME MANUFACTURER MAY BE DIFFERENT. SO READ THIS WHOLE THREAD ESPECIALLY SATCHMOE'S DETAILED POSTS TO ENSURE YOU ARE DOING THIS CORRECTLY SINCE MUCH HAS CHANGED SINCE I FIRST POSTED THIS. READ THE ENTIRE THREAD BEFORE COMPLAINING!!!!!

TwinCities_UTV
12-18-2003, 06:57 PM
I'm assuming that I need the full $50 version of Winhex for this, right?

djohn
12-18-2003, 07:16 PM
A registered version is required to save any modifications to files over 200k as I recall.

So yes, you need a registered version.

satchmoe
12-18-2003, 07:17 PM
if you have a drive other than the sizes listed, you will need to do some editing.
goto offset 178c1000 on your drive, scroll down to 178c1094 look at the 4 bytes . On a 40gb drive this will be b5700448 this is word swapped for 0448b570 mutiply this value by 200hex to get the drive offset of the browser partition in this case 8916ae000
this is the drive offset where the partition starts. the decimal sector number for above is 71873904 which is what you would type into winhex when you clone it.

if the b5700448 is not correct, then you will need to have the number that you got from 178c1094, open one of the browser files (doesn't matter which, you'll be changing it anyway.)
look at offset 28 look at the value it should match above. (in this example b5700448) if not then change it to the value it's supposed to be (the number you got above) now in winhex right click on value at 00000004 select beginning of block scroll down and right click on 0000006f select end of block. now left click on tools and select calculate hash. under digest select checksum 32 bit take the value you get and word swap it i.e. 000009e1 becomes 09e10000 now write that value to bytes 0-3 of the file and save the file. word swap the value you changed for the offset I.E b5780448 becomes 0448b570 enter it into the calculator as hex then click the dec button and write down the value you get...in this case 71873904.
goto tools select disk tools then clone disk read sectors from image file and type in starting sector as the decimal number you got above. clone it and you should be done.

moneyshotz
12-18-2003, 07:21 PM
TwinCities_UTV
PM me about WinHex..i can help you out

klassic
12-18-2003, 07:57 PM
You guys amaze me!!!
Keep up the good work... (who ever is doing the work)

The best I have come up with is changing all the card problem warning text to my own customized stupid sayings..... makes it more fun to see something other than "Please Insert Access Card"

And finding someone's cell phone number burried in the code... thought that was wierd.

It makes me feel like a King programmer in my house...
but to you top dogs I guess I'm just a Court Jester. :D

Carry on!

bonapart
12-18-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by satchmoe
if you have a drive other than the sizes listed, you will need to do some editing.

Well I''m using these extra editing steps because i just put in a 160gb drive (I know, only 137gb actually used - but anyway).

Since I did the upgrade I've been letting it record a lot of shows and I'd rather not lose them. If I'm willing to do extra editing work, is there some way I could just paste in the missing file into my existing partition so I can retain the my shows listing? I realize I may have to edit other locations, just wondering if I can do it before I blow away my shows?

bonapart

satchmoe
12-18-2003, 09:05 PM
Actually yes bonapart...umm well this is what i do, i have and old 500 meg drive that i've partitioned into a 100 meg with a 400mb extended drive which come up as drive e: and f: when you locate the partition you want strip the first 4000 bytes off and save to a file..then 16bit swap the remaining followed by a 32 bit swap.
you should see fat16 in the first sector of your file, save it to a file, then what i do is clone the file to drive f: on mine at sector 0

(if you try this on the first partition (drive E on mine) you'll lose your extended drive info)
now you can just go to drive f: and copy change what ever (your drive will be reported as whatever size the file was I.E. browser part will report 64.3 meg even though the logical drive was 400 or whatever no biggy.
once you've made your changes read sector 0-to the end, save it as a file, do the 16bit swap followed by a 32 bit swap, paste the 4000 bytes (in hex) that you saved earlier to offset 0 save again and clone it back to the utv drive at the correct offset.
first couple times are a little time consuming but then it starts going pretty quick.

One more thing...several files in the browser partition have your access card number in them including a folder called ippvhistory, which has a folder for every access card you have ever plugged in to your utv, inside each of these folders are 25 files slot0 through slot24 which has your ppv history in them. like which ppvs you bought etc.

this means if you were to plug 10 differant cards into your machine from 10 differant receivers from 10 differant accounts
and each person had puchased 10 pay per views all of this info will be in this folder, even though you had inserted the wrong card the info gets recorded.

I think you see where i'm going with this
something to think about before reading and sharing these partitions.

Er0cK
12-18-2003, 11:20 PM
I have a 100 gig Western digital hard drive in my UTV. I think I will put the 40 gig back in because I cannot figure out what satchmoe is talking about. That is way over my head. But ill hand it to you....You are all smart ass mofos....good job

TwinCities_UTV
12-18-2003, 11:25 PM
Do you guys have any thoughts on whether or not DirecTV will actualy add the missing file back to the data stream? If you think the chances are slim to none, then I'll start the process of using Winhex to add the missing file to my drive, otherwise I'll wait. I'm torn!

On another note, thank-you, thank-you, thank-you bluecop, satchmoe & aLfer. You guys are amazing!

aLfer
12-18-2003, 11:33 PM
TwinCities_UTV,

its really hard to tell, and utimately impossible to know so this is all speculation, please take it for what its worth. On the one hand, we know that DTV and microsoft are no longer selling UTV units to the public. That said, anyone who has a utv has already got the file on their partition. Microsoft's and DTV's take on things is that a.) noone should even be aware the secret codes exist and b.) noone should be swapping a harddrive or even modifying them on their own without taking them to an authorized repair shop. This is likely why DTV took the file out of the stream. On the other, there is nothing illegal about using the codes or upgrading to a larger hard drive to enhance the functionality of your unit, and since you are still being charged for UTV service and not receiving it, in my eyes they are obligated to fix the problem. Problem is, sometimes the wheels turn very slowly when it comes to technical problems like this and its possible DTV's engineers havent even figured out that authfile.dat is what is causing the problem. So it could be a couple weeks more before dtv puts it back, if they do at all. Or they could put it back in tomorrow, theres really no way to tell. The procedure to add them back in is relatively simple if you follow my instructions, the only downside is the loss of recordings.

aLfer
12-19-2003, 12:59 AM
attached is a .rar (.bmp) to use with a 100GB drive.

write this image at sector 189080112 per the earlier instructions.

TwinCities_UTV
12-19-2003, 08:37 AM
moneyshotz, you have been PM'd. Thanks!

el3men2
12-19-2003, 11:49 PM
can someone please post the famous rar that contains the dat file for the utv preview mode fix.
thx
el3men2

aLfer
12-19-2003, 11:52 PM
el3men2:

Did anyone ever teach you to read or only to write? Did you even read the entire thread? You may want to try doing a ***little*** bit more research before posting something as stupid as you did.

aLfer

sorry dont mean to flame but COME ON!

geminicat
12-19-2003, 11:57 PM
I have to agree with alFer there. Read and you shall become enlightened.

Nrmf
12-19-2003, 11:58 PM
i have tried this fix aLfer but for some reason i must be doing something wrong or it dosent work. heres whai did..... while UTV is running i unplugged ide cable left power on then fired up my pc and before it detects the hd i hit pause then plug ide cable from pc to hard drive in utv unit hit enter and it sees it and xp boots up
i open winhex and its a full version i goto tools clone disk point to the browser file source is physical hard drive 2 and i tell it to copy whole image at 154545024it says it writes 131104 something like that and i click ok, i unplug pc's ide cable unplug utv from wall plug back utv's ide cable take to my tv plug power back up and fire up unit all leds flash which tells me its overwritting somethini g i assume, and i still get the damn preview i am using a western digital 80 gig hd ...can you tell me what am i doing wrong...thank you

geminicat
12-20-2003, 12:00 AM
How did you save the .bmp did you save it to your pc as a .rar and then unzip the .rar and extract that file?

Nrmf
12-20-2003, 12:03 AM
i clicked on the link then it says what do i want to do open or save i choose save and changed it to all types and plugged in thename browser.rar then i extracted the .rar files by right clicking on it and saying extract here
then i point to taht place for the source file i am trying everything and this thing is kicking my butt

geminicat
12-20-2003, 12:09 AM
That is how I would have done it too Nrmf. Since my UTV is working I havent had to try this. Sorry I couldn't assist.

Nrmf
12-20-2003, 12:22 AM
i just dont know why it dosent work can someone put in there 2 cents worth is it possible that if i had a better 3.5 image life would be better. if not gonna sell this thing wife is on my butt

djohn
12-20-2003, 01:00 AM
Nrmf:

This file is not a 3.5 image. I don't believe it is even from a system with 3.5 software, I think it is from a unit running 3.7 but it likely doesn't matter.

The source files are compressed as well as the whole package. I believe you need to extract the package which will give you three archives as well as a readme. After you do that you need to extract the archive that applies to your drive. Once that is done you need to apply the browser partition to your drive.

If you are reapplying your image fresh and trying to do it all in one step you are messing up.

Apply OS image, put in UTV and boot it. WOW, UTV functions don't work.

Hotswap drive cable to PC and start winhex again and apply the browser image to your drive in the correct place and unplug the cable from the PC and power off the UTV and hook things back up there and UTV functions should work. If not, I am looking for a UTV unit so pm me as I am interested ;p

Nrmf
12-20-2003, 01:07 AM
am trying that for third time, and thats all i got left in me until tommrow very tired and frustrated. thank you for the help everyone will let you know tommrow how it went. thast what i have done but i may hva eto go back to scracth like u said

1.apply 3.5 image
2. hook up unit
3. hot swap and load patch
4. kick it out the door

thank you Nrmf

el3men2
12-20-2003, 02:08 PM
It seemed too simple, maybe I just read into it too much. But yeah thanks again. all I had to do was rename the bmp to the rar extension.

P.S. geminicat where I'm from the only stupid question is the one that is no asked.

Semper Fi

satchmoe
12-20-2003, 02:09 PM
I'm assuming your loading the 80gb file for your 80gb drive?
cause wrong size won't work...also those files are based on wd drives...i don't know what drive you have. have you checked to make sure the sector your writing to is correct for your drive?
I.E. double checking the partition table at 178c1000 or at least looking at the sector your writing to first to make sure it is the right location for your drive?

raymondsip
12-20-2003, 06:11 PM
I followed all of the steps posted here and everything seemed to go smoothly but, still in demo mode, I have at seagate 80 gig drive and wrote the 80 gig file with winhex after unzipping the rar file, anyone have any ideas?

aLfer
12-20-2003, 06:56 PM
OK since everyone seems to be having trouble getting utv back, this is the way to check and make sure you are writing the correct file at the correct location. First off, make sure that after you initially write the 32MB 3.5 or 3.7 image, that you FIRST BOOT the utv (get to the setup screens.) Then you will need to hot swap the drive again to overwrite your current browser partition. If you write the browser image the same time you write the OS image, it will overwrite the browser partition again when it boots.

The easiest way to determine if you are writing the image at the correct location, is to open your drive in winhex, go to position>go to offset> and type in 178c1094. At your cursor you will see a 4 byte number in the form of AB CD EF GH. This number needs to be swapped for you to read it correctly, so:

AB CD EF GH becomes EF GH AB CD
12 34 56 78 becomes 56 78 12 34
XX XX YY YY becomes YY YY XX XX
B5 70 04 48 becomes 04 48 b5 70

Everybody still with me?

OK, now take the number that you swapped and compare it to the following list:

40 GB: 04 48 b5 70
80 GB: 09 36 2b 80
100 GB: 0B 45 22 30
120 GB: 0d 99 4b b0

If the number you found is NOT IN THIS LIST, you CANNOT USE THE POSTED IMAGES. you need to take your number and re-read satchmoe's detailed post VERY carefully to manually edit your image file to work with your drive. You also will end up writing your custom image file to another sector (NOT the one listed in my earlier post).

If you have verified that your number matches the ones I posted, the only thing I can suggest is to zero the drive completely using MHD3.exe and start over from scratch.

Hopefully this clears up some of the confusion.

aLfer

geminicat
12-20-2003, 07:45 PM
P.S. geminicat where I'm from the only stupid question is the one that is no asked.

Not quite sure where you got "stupid" question. I was not referring to the intelligence of the poster (you). I was agreeing with alFer's assesment that a little bit of research was needed before a question was asked. Therefore I posted a little advice "Read and you shall become enlightened."

How did you save the .bmp did you save it to your pc as a .rar and then unzip the .rar and extract that file?

I hope that helped.

Nrmf
12-20-2003, 09:09 PM
aLfer

so are you saying once i load the 3.5 image and put power on it in the unit that i need to hot swap when it gets to the setup screen therefore i have to leave power on it and take my pc to the tv to do this is this what i need to do

raymondsip
12-20-2003, 09:26 PM
Thanks aLfer,

I used your advice and I am now using an 80 gig seagate drive with all UTV benefits plus. Here is the modified file in case anyone else can use it.

Nrmf
12-20-2003, 09:47 PM
can u tell us what u did

satchmoe
12-21-2003, 07:20 AM
Raymond followed the earlier posts and created his own file.
Congrats Raymond!

raymondsip
12-21-2003, 10:56 AM
Thanks satchmo,

Couldn't have done it without your help as well as alfers. I followed both of your instructions exactly and everything works as it should now. Maybe someone should call DTV and tell them which file is missing???????? It would save everyone many hours simply to increase their storage space.

Nrmf
12-21-2003, 11:55 AM
well minus making the file myslef i have tried the steps as everyon has posted and everytime i hook the hd back up to unit it seems to flash all leds and do its own thing. so i am sticking on the shelf and headn out to pick up tivo's

klassic
12-21-2003, 12:07 PM
Nrmf
I'll give you 40 $ for it!!

Nrmf
12-21-2003, 12:39 PM
well its getting close to that but i really am afriad to let it go, gonna step away from it and try again later

Nrmf
12-21-2003, 01:49 PM
ok thats it wife has drove me nuts and is on my As........gonna post it in the sales forums i have never used that forum before so here goes.

tojoef
12-23-2003, 05:02 AM
I'm a newbie here and I am using a registered version of Winhex 10.45 SR2. I'm using a Maxtor OEM 120 gb drive and My numbers are 7F 8F 53 EE so the 120 browser image wont work for me. I tried following the post to change the image but my Version of winhex doesn't have a calculate hash under the Tool menu. It does have a calculate digest but when I select that it comes up with a md5(128 bit) box and I get stuck there and don't know what to do. Any help would be apreciated.

tvdude2
12-23-2003, 06:41 PM
tojoef, you can get the latest winhex and it works ok on that small file to use the hash feature that's in it.. I've had no luck with my 120 gig and my values at 178c1094 is
F7 80 0D EF
so I can't use the supplied 120 gig file either. I've not been successful with the instructions that are here with editing the file and calculating where to write it is confusing to me. They talk about multiplying the byte swap value X 200 hex and then nowhere is that value used that I can tell.. Maybe I'm missing something but with the instructions given I've not gotten
anything that will boot after modifying as I can figure out and writing to the address it says to write to. In my case it's supposed to be decimal value of the byte swapped value at 178c1094 F7 = 80 0D EF which = 233830272. 200 hex times my byte swapped value of 0D EF F7 80 = 119721099264 which doesn't work either.. I'm fairly lost and am going to wait for more info as I'm not getting anywhere fast <G>....

aLfer
12-23-2003, 06:54 PM
tojoef: tools>calculate hash should give you a selection box. MD5 is one of the choices but you need to change it to 32-bit. If it isnt there you will need a newer version. Also 7F 8F 53 EE sounds way off, the first digit should be a 0 or maybe 1 for a 160 GB drive but no higher than that. recheck 178c1094 and make sure you have the correct number.

tojoef and tvdude:

You need to re-read satchmoe's post VERY carefully, possible many times over to make sure you do this right, but i can assure you all the information you need is there and works since other people have already used that method successfully. Just follow it closely and you will get it... tvdude 233830272 is the correct sector to write your CUSTOM image at using clone disk, but first you need to make your own image using satchmoe's post. you only need to multiply your partition location number by 200h to get the offset the partition is at on the drive in order to use position>go to offset to look at it but this is not absolutely necessary.

satchmoe
12-23-2003, 07:00 PM
This is the the first 6f bytes of the posted browser partition
now look carefully.

Offset 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F

00000000 09 E1 00 00 72 74 70 61 6F 77 42 72 72 00 73 65 ...rtpaowBrr.se
00000010 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
00000020 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 4B B0 0D 99 00 20 00 02 ........K.. ..
00000030 00 05 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
00000040 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
00000050 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 61 00 66 00 ............a.f.
00000060 66 00 74 00 2E 00 73 00 6C 00 64 00 00 00 6C 00 f.t...s.l.d...l.

This is the same 6f bytes with your numbers
don't quit yet.

00000000 09 E1 00 00 72 74 70 61 6F 77 42 72 72 00 73 65 ...rtpaowBrr.se
00000020 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 F7 80 0D EF 00 20 00 02 .......... ..

your numbers after editing 32 bit check sum.

00000000 0A B3 00 00 72 74 70 61 6F 77 42 72 72 00 73 65 ...rtpaowBrr.se
00000020 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 F7 80 0D EF 00 20 00 02 .......... ..

sorry if any sarcasm either expressed or implied, but this is about a simple as I can explain it.
0DEFF780 is the large block address (in hexadecimal) sector on the drive where this partition begins....this equtes to 233830272 in decimal
which is what winhex wants to see for a sector number.

the drive offset for this number..which is sector number * sector size (sectors being 512 bytes in size or 200 in hexadecimal)
0def780*200=1bdfef0000

mrfordwrench
12-23-2003, 07:30 PM
Satchmoe!!!!
Thanks for the sarcasm, and the help.. I am beginning to understand this a lot better with your help..

I have install a 120gb maxtor in my utv and couldnt get the utv function turned on...but I like doing stuff like this because it is fun.

Even though I downloaded the 120gb partition from this forum... the numbers did not match so I am gonna start over..

Zero the drive with mhd3
install 3.5 image on fresh hd
put in utv and go through setup
Hotswap back to pc and then install browser partition
Now!!??
do I need the "auth" file or is it included in the browser partition...
that is the part I dont understand completely

satchmoe
12-23-2003, 07:46 PM
tojoef

recheck your numbers the numbers you post are a drive at

53ee7f8f*200=a7dcff1e00 converted to decimal would be 720,967,245,312, that would be 720 gigabytes

satchmoe
12-23-2003, 07:53 PM
Mfordwrench

DO NOT ZERO YOUR DRIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just hotswap and apply patch (with correct numbers)

mrfordwrench
12-23-2003, 08:11 PM
OK!....trying to understand.... :)
trying to apply the patch now...but my 120gb drive shows up as
114gb in winhex....so I am trying to get this right on where to put the browser partition....I understand about calculating the hash and modifying the browser partition file...

originally i did not have the right numbers in 178c1094 location to match a 120gb drive....so I am trying to go thru the steps again and make sure I have done it right.....

mrfordwrench
12-23-2003, 08:59 PM
value at location 178c1094 = f7800def wordswapped = 0deff780

0deff780*200 = 1bdfef0000h = 119721099264(dec)

performed hash32 on partition file and got 00000ab3h
wordswaps to 0ab30000
save the partition file as new114gb
wrote new114gb to location 233830272

No Workie! :(

izhtar
12-23-2003, 10:23 PM
I have a 40g drive, the one that came originally with my UTV and ive tried to write the auth file but it wont let me, can anyone help me please as i dont really understand on how to do it.
Thanks

aLfer
12-23-2003, 10:29 PM
mrfordwrench:

That all looks perfect, you are writing the image after you booted the utv once correct? And im sure you are but you changed the value at 28-2b of the image to be the same as that at 178c1094? try writing the image again... After you write it go to the offset (1bdfef0000h) and verify it got written there.

satchmoe
12-23-2003, 11:29 PM
ok heres a differant one.
This is for people with odd sized drives.
actually it will work on all of them but you will need to do some math
rename browser-fitsall.bmp to browser-fitsall.rar
most of this post is included in the.rar
EXTRACT THE FILES FIRST!!!!!
DO NOT ZERO DRIVE!!!!!!!!
DO NOT RUN MHD3.EXE!!!!!!
DO NOT REWRITE VERSION 3.7 IMAGE!!!!!!!
DO NOT REWRITE VERSION 3.5 IMAGE!!!!!!!

hotswap cable on drive as per earlier instuctions and do the following.

All numbers are hex unless stated as decimal

in winhex under position select goto offset
type in 178c1094 write down the 4 byte value, word swap it
b5700448 becomes 0448b570
4bb00d99 becomes 0d994bb0
values above are examples you need the values from your drive.
add 20 I.E. 0448b570 becomes 0448b590 <another example your numbers will be differant
in the calculator from winhex either set to double word or quad word
in hex multiply the value you have written down by 200 this will give you a large number
this is your drive offset in the example above 0448b590*200=8916b2000 this is the drive offset

note: those won't be your numbers, your numbers will be differant according to your drive.

in winhex at position goto offset type in the number 8916b2000

note: those won't be your numbers, your numbers will be differant according to your drive.

open this file in a window in winhex

verify that the position you went to on the drive looks the same as the file, there are no numbers to change here
so were just looking to see if it looks right it should be obvious whether it's differant or not.

ok almost there...take the original number that you added 20 to I.E.0448b590 type it into the calculator under hex
now click the dec button to get the decimal equivalent 0448b590 becomes 71873936

once everything has been verified, choose clone to disk, read sectors from image file, select this file,
type in the deimal sector number and clone to disk. the offset that was just written to will be on the screen
and should look correct.

note on note: if the numbers above are your numbers then apply just as it says.

pps there was an error in the earlier file posted before 7:32 P.M. cst 24 dec 2003 please destroy it and use this instead.

tvdude2
12-24-2003, 01:08 AM
Satchmoe and Alfer: Thanks so much for the EXPLICIT directions in Satchmoe's post to us, I found my problem quickly. When he showed what should be in the first 6F bytes of the browser, I immediately realized mine was radically different than what he was showing and to make a long story short - when I extracted the original browser.bmp and renamed to browser.rar, I then extracted all the files and did not realize the files that were extracted were also RAR'd. I didn't notice the file extension and 'thought' they were 'ready to go'. Winhex happily opened them and I modded them according to the instructions and wrote them to the drive.. Hence my difficulties... Revised instructions with what you posted to me included may be of help to others that need a little 'extra' help.

Now that I unrar'd those files, the instructions worked PERFECTLY and I've now put in a 120 gig in one and a 160 gig in another..
all working PERFECTLY...

Thanks again for the patience and I hope this gives you a laugh or at least a small grin.... <G>....

tvdude2
12-24-2003, 01:21 AM
aLFer,
in the following message you just put up, you mistyped the 178c1094 with 8c reversed to c8 .. minor error unless someone actually uses it <G>....

mrfordwrench:

That all looks perfect, you are writing the image after you booted the utv once correct? And im sure you are but you changed the value at 28-2b of the image to be the same as that at 17c81094? try writing the image again... After you write it go to the offset (1bdfef0000h) and verify it got written there.

aLfer
12-24-2003, 01:29 AM
tvdude: thanks for the update! i edited my post.....

tojoef
12-24-2003, 02:19 AM
Thanks for the help I got a new version of winhex and it has the calculate hash. Unfortunately I had to Get ready for Christmas so I have put it all away until the weekend. I think I get it now I'll tell you how it goes

satchmoe
12-24-2003, 09:36 PM
couldn't add this back to earlier post so here it is again

mrfordwrench
12-25-2003, 01:56 AM
Thanks Satchmoe!....your posts are great...mine is working now...but I have to ask...what exactly is it that we did with the instructions of that post...since we added 20h to the number at 178c1904 then I am assuming that we are writing a file to the harddisk...since "fits-all" has different info in it...I just need to understand what it is exactly that I am doing. The way you write the simple instructions is so that anyone can do it.
You are the greatest in my book.... :)

MrFordwrench

aLfer
12-25-2003, 03:47 AM
Mrfordwrench: the way i understand it is this (satchmoe please correct me if im wrong :)

178c1094 is the middle of your partition table which actually starts at 178c1000, and the 4 byte number there is the sector (in hex) that your browser partition starts out at. The browser partition contains all your show information (such as title, description, cast, recorded time, etc) as well as PPV info and other various information. This includes authfile.dat. When you install the 32MB os image to a completely empty drive, this partition is created empty so to speak, a few files are created in the partition however authfile.dat is not.

The browser partition (empty, including the authfile.dat and the other few files) can be the same for every drive, with the exception of the first 4000h bytes, which are different depending on how large your drive is (it is also different for same sized drives from different manufacturers). When the UTV creates this partition, the first 4000 bytes stay the same no matter what files are in it on each individual drive. So basically satchmoe's attachment is an empty partition image (without the first 4000 bytes) that you can apply on any drive regardless of size, manufacturer, etc.

adding 20h to the location of the partition start sector at 178c1094 ends up advancing you 4000h bytes (or 20 sectors, since each sector is 200h, or 512 dec bytes long.) So, the new attachment allows you to only modify the file table information and the actual authfile.dat and other files, since the first 4000 bytes will stay the same. Consequently, this also overwrites all your my shows information and PPV history with 0's effectively erasing all information on your recordings. Hope this explains it a bit better.

mrfordwrench
12-25-2003, 03:51 AM
PERFECT!!!!

That confirms exactly what I was thinking...that is why I was asking. :D

MrFordwrench

playthisgame
12-25-2003, 04:17 AM
OK guys, I am lost and I can't figure my way out of this. I just upgraded my UTV to a Western Digital 80gb hd. I am in the same boat as most here, have the 10 minute UTV demo. I tried using the 80 gb rar file on here and it didn't work. I've read this post through a few times and I'm lost. Alfer, which post of satchmoe's are you talking about that is detailed. I want to do this, but can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.

aLfer
12-25-2003, 04:22 AM
play this game:

well, all of them actually :D

Maybe you should re-read one more time. If the 80GB partition didnt work for you, you need to use satchmoe's browser-fitsall and manually locate where to write it too. You may need to read very carefully but i assure you every possible piece of information we could give you is included right here.

Good luck and merry christmas!

satchmoe
12-25-2003, 09:32 AM
Maybe this will help...this is the sector at offset 178c1000
it is at the same offset on all drives....determined by rom
this is sector number 0bc608*200=178c1000
all drive partition info is here

ok jump down next post

00000000 31 E6 00 00 00 09 00 00 6D 6E 74 69 6F 74 62 6F 1......mntiotbo
00000020 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
00000030 C6 18 00 0B 00 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 03 00 98 48 .............H
00000040 72 00 44 76 EF 58 04 9C 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 r.DvX.........
00000050 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
00000060 C6 18 00 0B EF 58 04 3C 00 05 00 00 00 00 00 00 ...X.<........
00000070 03 00 B8 29 6F 77 42 72 72 00 73 65 00 00 00 00 ..)owBrr.se....
00000080 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
00000090 00 00 00 00 B5 70 04 48 00 20 00 02 00 05 00 00 ....p.H. ......
000000A0 00 00 00 00 03 00 78 2A 67 44 41 70 61 00 61 74 ......x*gDApa.at
000000B0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
000000C0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 B5 90 04 4A 00 20 00 02 .........J. ..
000000D0 00 05 00 00 00 00 00 00 03 00 38 2B 6E 74 43 6F ..........8+ntCo
000000E0 74 00 65 6E 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 t.en............
000000F0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 B5 B0 04 4C .............L
00000100 00 20 00 20 00 05 00 00 00 00 00 00 03 00 F8 2B . . ..........+
00000110 73 6B 44 69 63 68 43 61 00 00 65 00 00 00 00 00 skDichCa..e.....
00000120 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
00000130 B5 D0 04 6C 00 20 00 04 00 05 00 00 00 00 00 00 .l. ..........
00000140 03 00 B8 2C 70 72 41 70 73 00 6F 6D 00 00 00 00 ..,prAps.om....
00000150 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
00000160 00 00 00 00 B5 F0 04 70 40 20 00 01 00 05 00 00 .....p@ ......
00000170 00 00 00 00 03 00 78 2D 56 45 41 54 61 63 46 43 ......x-VEATacFC
00000180 00 00 68 65 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ..he............
00000190 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 F6 10 04 71 20 20 00 03 ..........q ..
000001A0 00 05 00 00 00 00 00 00 03 00 F0 88 65 65 66 72 ..........eefr
000001B0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
000001C0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 16 30 04 75 .............0.u
000001D0 9F 40 00 33 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 @.3............
000001E0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
000001F0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................

satchmoe
12-25-2003, 09:34 AM
This is the same sector after word swapping it.
(only done for clarification)
ok jump down some more

00000000 00 00 31 E6 00 00 00 09 74 69 6D 6E 62 6F 6F 74 ..1....timnboot
00000020 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
00000030 00 0B C6 18 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 00 98 48 03 00 ...........H..
00000040 44 76 72 00 04 9C EF 58 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 Dvr..X........
00000050 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
00000060 00 0B C6 18 04 3C EF 58 00 00 00 05 00 00 00 00 ....<X........
00000070 B8 29 03 00 42 72 6F 77 73 65 72 00 00 00 00 00 )..Browser.....
00000080 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
00000090 00 00 00 00 04 48 B5 70 00 02 00 20 00 00 00 05 .....Hp... ....
000000A0 00 00 00 00 78 2A 03 00 41 70 67 44 61 74 61 00 ....x*..ApgData.
000000B0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
000000C0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 04 4A B5 90 00 02 00 20 .........J...
000000D0 00 00 00 05 00 00 00 00 38 2B 03 00 43 6F 6E 74 ........8+..Cont
000000E0 65 6E 74 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ent.............
000000F0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 04 4C B5 B0 .............L
00000100 00 20 00 20 00 00 00 05 00 00 00 00 F8 2B 03 00 . . ........+..
00000110 44 69 73 6B 43 61 63 68 65 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 DiskCache.......
00000120 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
00000130 04 6C B5 D0 00 04 00 20 00 00 00 05 00 00 00 00 .l... ........
00000140 B8 2C 03 00 41 70 70 72 6F 6D 73 00 00 00 00 00 ,..Approms.....
00000150 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
00000160 00 00 00 00 04 70 B5 F0 00 01 40 20 00 00 00 05 .....p..@ ....
00000170 00 00 00 00 78 2D 03 00 41 54 56 45 46 43 61 63 ....x-..ATVEFCac
00000180 68 65 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 he..............
00000190 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 04 71 F6 10 00 03 20 20 .........q...
000001A0 00 00 00 05 00 00 00 00 F0 88 03 00 66 72 65 65 ..........free
000001B0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
000001C0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 04 75 16 30 .............u.0
000001D0 00 33 9F 40 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 .3@............
000001E0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
000001F0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................

as you can see the first 4 bytes are the checksum the second double word holds
the number of partitions. as you go down the list you will notice.
starting sector number for each partition is 20 bytes after the first letter of
the partition name in this case the B in browser is at ofset 74 so the start
sector number is at 94 all sector numbers are quad words (4 bytes) the next
quad word is the length (in sectors) of the partition.
all of the fat partitions have 20 sectors or 4000 bytes before the actual partition so when you see that the length is 020020 now you know the actual partition is 020000 in length. which you will see next.

satchmoe
12-25-2003, 10:11 AM
ok now when you go to the offset (original sector plus 20*200)
you should see this, If you don't you are in the wrong place

00000000 90 00 EB FE 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 02 04 .............
00000010 01 00 01 00 80 00 00 F0 10 00 10 00 00 00 00 00 ..............
00000020 02 00 00 00 29 A2 00 00 06 20 00 4E 20 20 20 20 ....)... .N
00000030 20 20 20 20 46 41 20 20 36 20 54 31 00 00 20 20 FA 6 T1..

word swapped this becomes this (word swapped only for clarification do not
word swap your image)

00000000 EB FE 90 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 04 01 00 .............
00000010 01 00 01 00 00 F0 80 00 10 00 10 00 00 00 00 00 ..............
00000020 00 00 02 00 00 00 29 A2 00 4E 06 20 20 20 20 20 ......).N.
00000030 20 20 20 20 20 20 46 41 54 31 36 20 20 20 00 00 FAT16 ..

As you can see this is just a plain vanilla fat16 bios parameter block

michelb
12-25-2003, 10:30 AM
Hey all, thanks again for all your hardwork and patience - without you guys the many clueless (like me) would be screwed.

Satchmoe, you posted in an earlier message that it was possible to apply the missing file without losing shows that have already been recorded but I don't quite get what the steps are (you mentioned that you used a different drive, etc). If you have a few minutes can you outline the steps to apply the missing file while preserving any existing recordings on the drive.

Thanks,
Mike

playthisgame
12-25-2003, 07:43 PM
Thanks guys for the help, I actually figured it out a hour after I posted last night. I was very lost for awhile on a typo that stated to go to offset 17c81094, which was supposed to really be 178c1094. But I used Satchmoe's guide and figured it out. Thanks Again to all!!

playthisgame
12-25-2003, 07:45 PM
UPDATING BROWSER FOR A WESTERN DIGITAL 80 GB DRIVE

Here are the steps I took to get my new western digital drive to work with my UTV. Thanks to Satchmoe for the work and explanation.

1. Go to offset 178c1094 and look at your 4 bytes
2. My 4 bytes were F8 B0 08 F0
3. This is 08 F0 F8 B0 when word-swapped
4. Multiplied my word swapped 4 bytes by 200hex to get 11E1F16000
5. 11E1F16000 is your drive offset where your browser partition begins
6. The decimal sector number for the above is 150010032, which is what you type into winhex when you clone it
7. Go to offset 28
8. Change the values from offset 28-2B to the 4 byte value from step 2
9. In winhex, right click on value 00000004 and select beginning of block
10. Scroll down and right click on 0000006F and click end of block
11. Left click on Tools and select Calculate Hash
12. Under digest select checksum 32
13. Take the value you get and word-swap it (00 00 0A E0 becomes 0A E0 00 00)
14. Write that value to bytes 0-3 of the file and save the file
15. Word-swap the value you changed for the offset (F8 B0 08 F0 becomes 08 F0 F8 B0) and enter it into the calculator as hex then click the dec button and write down the value you get in this case 150010032
16. Go to Tools, select Disk Tools, select Clone Disk
17. Open the appropriate file, (the one you just saved, and where your writing it to
18. Under Start sector (destination), enter what you got in step 15 in this case 150010032
19. Write it to your hard disk drive and you should be done

This is just an example, the numbers I used are for a Western Digital 80GB drive, so your drive will most likely not use the same numbers. Again thanks to Satchmoe for his explanation of this and his work. I just re-wrote what he earlier posted to try to clear it up a bit.

TwinCities_UTV
12-28-2003, 11:22 PM
Well guys, I've decided not to apply the fix (it's too techincal for me and I don't want to fork over $50 for Winhex for a one time fix), so I have put my UltimateTV unit up for sale in the Sale/Trade forum. You can get there by clicking here: UltimateTV for Sale! (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30764). There is absolutely nothing wrong with my UltimateTV unit, it's just stuck in demo (preview) mode as described in this thread.

niceguy_27
12-29-2003, 11:45 PM
I have a 80gb Seagate, which came stock with my unit. Now i tried the 80gb one from the browser.rar and the start sector of 154545024 but it is not working, still in demo mode. I have succesfully done this with a 120 and a 40 (stock) but seem to be stumped on the 80.

niceguy_27
12-30-2003, 01:29 AM
I have a 80gb Seagate, which came stock with my unit. Now i tried the 80gb one from the browser.rar and the start sector of 154545024 but it is not working, still in demo mode. I have succesfully done this with a 120 and a 40 (stock) but seem to be stumped on the 80.

Figured it out myself. The correct 80 gb sector for a seagate is 150010032. And if i recall correctly i used the file for a 80gbseagate that someone posted a few threads back. Im sorry for not giving him the kudos, but i will attach the file and not take ANY credit for this. Also the correct sector came from someones name i cant recall either. But the heading of the post is UPDATING BROWSER FOR A WESTERN DIGITAL 80 GB DRIVE. Odd i know, it worked with my Seagate.

michelb
12-30-2003, 10:57 AM
Hey all, thanks again for all your hardwork and patience - without you guys the many clueless (like me) would be screwed.

Satchmoe, you posted in an earlier message that it was possible to apply the missing file without losing shows that have already been recorded but I don't quite get what the steps are (you mentioned that you used a different drive, etc). If you have a few minutes can you outline the steps to apply the missing file while preserving any existing recordings on the drive.

Thanks,
Mike

Still hoping to fix my UTV without losing my previous recordings; anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed?

Let me know,
Mike

satchmoe
12-30-2003, 07:16 PM
Still hoping to fix my UTV without losing my previous recordings; anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed?

Let me know,
Mike
yes it is first you will need another hard drive to write to (one that is blank, as all data will be destroyed!) format the drive as usual i.e. no system files
we'll call this drive F: (your drive may have a different letter )
Now find your browser partition as out lined earlier. skip the first 20 sectors
(4000 in hex) your looking for the bios parameter block, an example of it was above in post 80

select the first byte as beginning of block in winhex ( on a 120 gb this would be sector 0D994BB0 or drive offset 1B32976000 +4000=1B3297A000)
Ok the original length o Browser was 020020 since we skipped the 20 useless sectors before the bpb our new length is 020000 sectors (hex)
giving us an end of 1b36979fff (020000*200+1b3297a000) select this as your end of block. under edit, copy block to new file...now 16 bit shift it then 32 bit shift it, and save it to a file. the first few bytes of the new file will look like the earlier example (post 80) now under disk tools, select clone to disk...choose the file select, the drive letter of the drive you formatted.

DO NOT SELECT THE HARD DISK NUMBER, SELECT THE DRIVE LETTER!
MAKE DOUBLE SURE YOUR GOING TO THE CORRECT DRIVE...THIS WILL DESTROY ANYTHING ON THAT DRIVE.

clone file to sector 0.....exit winhex, youwill get a message about destroying data etc. this is fine...now you can just go to that drive letter in windows and copy the file to it just like any other drive save existing files etc.

OK now to restore it....in winhex,open the drive letter (NOT THE HARD DISK NUMBER)
select 00000000 as begining of block go to end, and select end of block.

copy to file,(file length should be 00000000-03ffffff or 04000000 bytes)

now do a 32 bit shift followed by a 16 bit shift then save the file.
then clone the file back to 1b3297a000 (on 120gb) or where ever you got it from.

michelb
12-30-2003, 08:44 PM
Thanks so much for the info. I'll try it out and let you know how it works out.

Mike

michelb
12-31-2003, 03:23 PM
Thanks again for all the help everyone (particularly Satchmoe).

Got my UTV back and running without losing my recordings. :) :) :)

Once I figured out what I had to do, it wasn't actually that hard.

One thing I did notice is that when I was extracting the browser data from my UTV, it reported a few CRC errors - is this something I should be concerned with (I have had a few UTV HD crashes in the past few months that have wiped my recordings (that's actually how I got into demo mode)). Another thing I noticed was that my browser was missing the 'AuthFile.dat' but was also missing a 'CidSet.dat' file that appeared in the 'working' image that I was using. Is this a file that I want to? I didn't copy it since no one mentioned it.

Here's my instructions in laymans terms to keep your recordings (think of it as a 'For Dummies' supplement to satchmoe's directions - for the technical tidbits, refer to his instructions): The idea is to extract the browser from your UTV, mount it as a drive on a PC, copy the missing file over to that new drive, and then recopy the browser (which now includes the missing file over to your UTV).

To do this, you need access to a partition you can safely erase (satchmoe suggests using an old drive, which works great since you only need 64MBs for the partition). To make your life easier, use the old drive and set up 2 small logical partitions of 100MB or more each (you don't actually need 2 partitions since you can to it with one but I find it easier). Once you have the partitions set up, you need to extract the browser info from your UTV (since you want to keep everything else and add the missing file). This is where you have to follow satchmoe's directions to first locate the offset to the browser and then jump the first 20 sectors, the 20000 sectors from that point on are an actual FAT16 partition that's been byte swapped so you need to extract that, do the 16-bit swap followed by the 32-bit swap and what you get is an actual FAT16 partition that you can copy to your 'scratch' partitions (from earlier) so that you can access the files as any other drive (the bit swap is simply because the info on the UTV drive isn't stored in the same order as Windows reads (big endian vs little endian (don't really care which is which) (it's a FAT16 partition but it's not stored on the drive in the same order). First do this with the browser from your UTV into the 1st small logical partition and then repeat all the steps using one of the images to do the same thing with that partition. After you've done both, you'll be able to go into WindowsExplorer and see the contents of the drives. Now that you can see the contents of both browser, you'll notice that your UTV browser partition is missing the 'AuthFile.dat' file. Simply copy it from the 2nd partition. Now that it's copied, all that is left is to re-image this 'new' browser(including the 'AuthFile.dat') and re-clone it back to your UTV HD. This is why you have to recopy the block, re-flip it (first 32bit swap then, 16 bit swap) and then clone it back at the browser offset + jump (Here WinHex is a bit 'unfriendly' since you have to specify the location in sectors (and maybe in decimal not hex (can't remember for sure) - in anycase, the location you want to write to is the 'original' offset found at 178c1094 plus 20h to skip the sectors). Once the image is copied back at the location, you can just check the browser offset on your UTV HD just to do a sanity check (i.e. everything at that location should look pretty much the same (adding the file 1K file doesn't change a whole lot in a 64MB partition).

Hope this helps and thanks again for everyone who contributed,
Mike

hacked4u
12-31-2003, 06:10 PM
I've upgraded to a new 80 gig Maxtor drive fresh out of the box. My UTV downloaded (by phone) the 3.7 software. However, my unit will not come out of demo mode so I called DTV who said that they were aware of the problem and had tech's working on it but had no idea when it would be corrected.
So, I decided to try and fix it myself. First I found this great site !!! Then I've read, re-read and still re read again and again Satchmoe's guide but I can not get the 80 gig out of the demo mode. I have a 40 gig w.d. that I got to work with ease. If anyone knows the correct sector to start writing the browser file to on a Maxtor 80 gig, could you please share the information. This is driving me crazy !!!

Thanks in Advance

P.S. Hats off to Satchmoe "AWESOME WORK"

RandC
01-01-2004, 11:15 AM
If anyone knows the correct sector to start writing the browser file to on a Maxtor 80 gig, could you please share the information. This is driving me crazy !!!

Thanks in Advance

P.S. Hats off to Satchmoe "AWESOME WORK"
All the information you need is in this thread. Dont rush, take your time and do the work word for word and you will be Demo-less.

This reply will tell you how to check your start position http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134753&postcount=22.

This reply will tell you how to change the file to match a different start position http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134753&postcount=22

Also make sure after you extracted the main .rar file, you extract the individual .rar files. The start of the extracted file should look this reply http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135678&postcount=59

And many thanks to satchmoe, aLfer, and others who helped!
RandC

cybertiger
01-01-2004, 03:08 PM
All the information you need is in this thread. Dont rush, take your time and do the work word for word and you will be Demo-less.

This reply will tell you how to check your start position http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134753&postcount=22.

This reply will tell you how to change the file to match a different start position http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134753&postcount=22

Also make sure after you extracted the main .rar file, you extract the individual .rar files. The start of the extracted file should look this reply http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135678&postcount=59

And many thanks to satchmoe, aLfer, and others who helped!
RandC

I've been reading on how to fix the 10 min demo mode for utv........i've copied and did all the crap everyone else has done hot swap/copy and still demo......NOW.....i'm reading here how to fix it...but there's so much crap here from so many diff people it's hard to understand!!!!

is it possible someone could post a 3.5 img with the fix....and just tell us where to put it on a reformatted hdd or an existing one on the hdd's that are used the most IE--maxtor 80gig/seagate/western digital 120...and so on...that way all we have to do is say.....like me...i have a 80 gig maxtor....then i'd look at the post with the details for my hdd...and it'll tell me....i need to take this img and start writing it at yadda yadda yadda to yadda yadda yadda then reinstall it back inside the utv unit and done??

if it's not that easy then i'm sorry...just thought it may make it easier...like i said i've done the hot swap/zero the drive/put the img at the specified byte/and now stuck in demo mode.....so i'm close, but like i said before.....there's alot of diff crap from several diff people with diff problems and drives.

thanks for your time and help, hopefully i can get this thing working!

michelb
01-01-2004, 05:44 PM
I've been reading on how to fix the 10 min demo mode for utv........i've copied and did all the crap everyone else has done hot swap/copy and still demo......NOW.....i'm reading here how to fix it...but there's so much crap here from so many diff people it's hard to understand!!!!

is it possible someone could post a 3.5 img with the fix....and just tell us where to put it on a reformatted hdd or an existing one on the hdd's that are used the most IE--maxtor 80gig/seagate/western digital 120...and so on...that way all we have to do is say.....like me...i have a 80 gig maxtor....then i'd look at the post with the details for my hdd...and it'll tell me....i need to take this img and start writing it at yadda yadda yadda to yadda yadda yadda then reinstall it back inside the utv unit and done??

if it's not that easy then i'm sorry...just thought it may make it easier...like i said i've done the hot swap/zero the drive/put the img at the specified byte/and now stuck in demo mode.....so i'm close, but like i said before.....there's alot of diff crap from several diff people with diff problems and drives.

thanks for your time and help, hopefully i can get this thing working!

Unfortunately, I don't think you can just copy a whole single image since different drives use different offset. In any case, once you get what you're doing, it's not that complicated - the biggest hurdle is probably just understanding and getting the right offset but just follow along with the directions and you should be able to figure it out. The hardest part for me was unlocking the drive and using Winhex (both of which you'd have to do anyway).

Good luck,
Mike

jamie11
01-01-2004, 08:56 PM
How would I tell if my drive is still locked?

I have hooked up the UTV harddrive (which is the 40GB Seagate as opposed to the 45GB WD) to my PC as the secondary master and it has been recognized. When I open up WinHex and attempt to write to the correct offset with file posted earlier in this thread it does not write. I can't remember exactly what the error message is but it essentially tells me that I can't write to that sector.

Is this a sympton of the drive still being "locked"?? And if so, could someone please post (once again) the easiest way to unlock the drive. I've tried to follow the instructions but perhaps I've missed a step along the way.

Any help would be great...

Dickydoo
01-01-2004, 09:10 PM
Ihave been reading this awesome information about the UTV preview mode and how to correct the problem, but I dont undeerstand the wordwrap, am I blind and not looking at the right piece of info.

and also I was wondering as well that why couldnt this authfile.dat be written or included with the 3.5 image.

thanks for your assistance

Unc

aLfer
01-02-2004, 01:51 AM
jamie,

It sounds like your drive is still locked. You can confirm by trying to open the disk in disk editor, if it gives you an i/o error it is still locked. The easiest way I have found to use the drive is this:

1.) boot utv
2.) unplug ide cable (leave power connected)
3.) plug secondary ide cable from PC into HD (No other drives attached to cable; longer the cable the better)
4.) Open device manager, go to action>scan for new hardware. It will find your unlocked drive and you are good to go.

This is the method I use since you dont have to reboot the pc everytime you want to connect it. It works in win2k/xp, not sure about 98.

dickydoo,

I dont know what you mean by wordwrap. If you mean word (byte) swap, re-read my post or satchmoes and it will become clear to you. Essentially AB CD EF GH becomes EF GH AB CD. And no, it is not possible at this point to add the file to your image or any image. You must add this file to the proper partition after the OS has been installed.

TO ALL:

ALL THE INFORMATION WE COULD POSSIBLY GIVE YOU IS RIGHT HERE IN THIS THREAD. LOOK FOR MY POSTS AS WELL AS SATCHMOE'S. IF ITS STILL CLOUDY YOU NEED TO RE-READ THE ENTIRE THREAD VERY SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU POST UNNECESSARILY. CHANCES ARE YOUR QUESTIONS HAVE ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED.

jamie11
01-02-2004, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the response aLfer...I'll re-try it when I get home tonight...

Basically what you're saying is that a locked drive will still be recognized at boot up and recognized in the available drives in WinHex but I won't be able to edit the drive until it is properly unlocked. Does that sound right??

Also, I have been booting up the drive and waiting about 5 minutes before swapping IDE cables but it still gives me the same error. My understanding was that it only takes a minute or so for the UTV to boot up. How long should I wait after power-up before I swap cables. And just to clarify, by "boot UTV" you mean just to plug in the power to the unit? As I have already taken the case off, I can no longer hit the button to start the UTV. Or should I only take the case off once I've hit the button and seen the green light on the unit?

Thanks again...

aLfer
01-02-2004, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the response aLfer...I'll re-try it when I get home tonight...

Basically what you're saying is that a locked drive will still be recognized at boot up and recognized in the available drives in WinHex but I won't be able to edit the drive until it is properly unlocked. Does that sound right??

Also, I have been booting up the drive and waiting about 5 minutes before swapping IDE cables but it still gives me the same error. My understanding was that it only takes a minute or so for the UTV to boot up. How long should I wait after power-up before I swap cables. And just to clarify, by "boot UTV" you mean just to plug in the power to the unit? As I have already taken the case off, I can no longer hit the button to start the UTV. Or should I only take the case off once I've hit the button and seen the green light on the unit?

Thanks again...

Jamie,

Recognized, yes; accessible, no. The drive is always recognizable, but needs to be unlocked to be accessible and hence to allow winhex to edit it. It should take around a minute to boot up, on mine the green light flashes during booting, once it is a steady green you should be good to go. You can leave the ribbon cable connecting the top case to the board if you kind prop it out of the way to see the green light. I believe some people have also unscrewed the panel from the top cover so its still accessible without the cover being in the way. Either way, you need to wait until the green light is steady, which should take around a minute or two at most.

Good luck,

aLfer

bonehead
01-02-2004, 08:16 PM
OK looks like this problem has been resolved. Thanks to some of the great minds out there including bluecop and satchmoe for this excellent information. The culprit seems to be a file called authfile.dat. When you perform the 23552355 code or swap a HD out, this file is not present. Until a week ago it seems the file was sent through the stream as soon as the unit was connected to your satellite. authfile.dat is the same on every unit so there is no subscriber specific information in the file. The file resides in a 64MB fat16 partition on your hard drive called browser, and this partition is in different physical locations on the drive depending on its size. I have attached three different versions of the browser partition (including the authfile.dat) for 40, 80, and 120 gig harddrives. They are completely empty except for authfile.dat as well as a few other necessary browser files, so they are highly compressable, hence the small size. Other hard drive sizes are possible as well, however its a bit more complicated.

Basically you will perform steps similar to upgrading/downgrading your OS version with a hex editor. Since there are many other posts regarding this process on this forum as well as others, I wont go into the specifics of it. You will need to write the correct image based on your hard drive size at the following offsets:

browser40 to be written sector 71873904
browser80 to be written sector 154545024
browser120 to be written sector 228150192
(more detailed sector and dec conversion information accompanies the .rar)

To do this you basically open your drive in winhex, go to tools>disk tools>clone disk, select the proper image (depending on your drive's size) check copy entire source file, and type the correct sector number under start sector (destination) and click OK.

Thats it, your browser partition now contains authfile.dat and should reenable your utv functions. NOTE: When this partition is written, it will overwrite all information regarding anything you have recorded, so your my shows will be empty. Also, you will lose locals, and they will need to be updated by the stream which may take a few hours. Small price to pay to get those features back. Hopefully DTV will put this file back in the stream sometime soon, but if you cannot wait until then this is the way to do it.

The attachment is in .bmp form, you will need to rename it to browser.rar and then extract. Good luck!

aLfer

PS: After you extract browser.rar, you will have THREE SEPERATE RAR FILES. These are NOT the images to apply to your drive. You have to extract the proper one for your drive before cloning it (it will be 64MB in size)

PPS: If these dont work, READ THE REST OF THIS THREAD!!!! There is a whole lot MORE helpful information in the following posts since not all 40, 80 and 120 GB hard drives are the same, and you may end up needing to modify where you are writing the images. READ the entire thread before complaining it doesnt work!!!!!

Alfer
Can I still get the browser.bmp. Is the file still valid ?
I Don't want my MTV ! I want my UTV

Thanks
Burkey

aLfer
01-02-2004, 08:21 PM
bonehead

did you try to get it? i dont see why it wouldnt be valid. its still there so of course you can get it!

bonehead
01-02-2004, 08:39 PM
bonehead

did you try to get it? i dont see why it wouldnt be valid. its still there so of course you can get it!

Yes I got it...
Im about to give it a go.

TKS
Bonehead

bonehead
01-02-2004, 10:45 PM
jamie,

It sounds like your drive is still locked. You can confirm by trying to open the disk in disk editor, if it gives you an i/o error it is still locked. The easiest way I have found to use the drive is this:

1.) boot utv
2.) unplug ide cable (leave power connected)
3.) plug secondary ide cable from PC into HD (No other drives attached to cable; longer the cable the better)
4.) Open device manager, go to action>scan for new hardware. It will find your unlocked drive and you are good to go.

This is the method I use since you dont have to reboot the pc everytime you want to connect it. It works in win2k/xp, not sure about 98.

dickydoo,

I dont know what you mean by wordwrap. If you mean word (byte) swap, re-read my post or satchmoes and it will become clear to you. Essentially AB CD EF GH becomes EF GH AB CD. And no, it is not possible at this point to add the file to your image or any image. You must add this file to the proper partition after the OS has been installed.

TO ALL:

ALL THE INFORMATION WE COULD POSSIBLY GIVE YOU IS RIGHT HERE IN THIS THREAD. LOOK FOR MY POSTS AS WELL AS SATCHMOE'S. IF ITS STILL CLOUDY YOU NEED TO RE-READ THE ENTIRE THREAD VERY SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU POST UNNECESSARILY. CHANCES ARE YOUR QUESTIONS HAVE ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED.

Hi aLfer,
Per 3.) plug secondary ide cable from PC into HD (No other drives attached to cable; longer the cable the better)

Could i use the primary ide cable ?
change my utv drive jumpers to slave ?
plug my utv drive on 2nd drive slave ?
This way i won't have to unplug drives on the secondary ide
cable.
TKS
Bonehead

teutenfw
01-02-2004, 10:51 PM
I spent quite some time attempting to completely understand all this excellent information. I hope this summary saves you some time, but if not all details are here on this superb site and others.

Goal: install a new bigger hard drive (120 gb) in my Sony Ultimate TV (UTV) to give me approximately 3 times more recording time. Purchased a new Western Digital 120mb 7200 RPM IDE drive. Removed the only jumper to put it in "single" mode. Removed my access card from UTV unit. Removed lid by two rear screws. Remove hard drive tray by removing three screws and one fan connector. Replace old drive with new by removing three screws on tray, power cable, and IDE cable. Put it back together and hooked it up. Must have phone cable connected to line with dial tone. Powered up. Had to use the remote and clicked continue to download latest software version 3.7. Download progress showed on screen (estimated 110 minutes).

Problem: once new software downloaded local channels not working and recording/playback in "preview" mode. Can only playback 10 minutes of a recording. Instructions on screen to call DirectTV. DirectTV (Ultimate TV department) confirms this is a known issue with no known fix at this time.

Fix: local channels work themselves out, be patient. Power down, remove card, unplug unit for one minute, power up, replace card may expedite return of local channels.

"Preview" mode only fix is a real challenge. Downloaded file in this post browser.rar by right clicking on the file and selected save as. The file is compressed RAR file, which is like a ZIP file I learned. Extracted the appropriate file, in my case browserzeroed120gb.rar (for use with a 120gb drive). You should use browserzereoed80gb.rar (for use with a 80 gb drive) or browserzereoed100gb.rar (for use with a 100 gb drive) as needed. Note: I had to download a utility to work with RAR file. I now had another compressed RAR file so I expanded it to browerzereoed120gb.

Next I purchased and downloaded winhex 11.2. About $50. The free trial will NOT work, tried it!

Moved my UTV next to my PC. Unplugged both and opened them. Removed screws from UTV hard drive tray and disconnected tray fan. Placed mouse pad (anything non conductive) between UTV drive tray and UTV motherboard. Freed my secondary IDE cable from devices inside my PC (left it connected the motherboard) and verified it would reach the UTV hard drive connector. Plugged both UTV and PC in. Powered UTV up and waited 60 seconds to insure it booted. Powered up PC and pressed the "Pause" button just before the PC searched for IDE devices. Careful... disconnected IDE cable from UTV hard drive WHILE THE UTV WAS POWERED ON AND CONNECTED THE IDE CABLE FOM THE COMPUTER TO THE UTV WHILE THE COMPUTER WAS POWERED ON. Pressed the space bar and PC continued booting and it recognized the UTV hard drive.

Started winhex. Clicked on drop down menu position>go to offset> and typed in 178c1094. Found the following numbers:
B0 4B 99 0D (correct numbers for 120 gb drive)

You should find these number if you have a different size drive:
80 2b 36 09 (correct numbers for 80 gb drive)
30 22 45 0B (correct numbers for 100 gb drive)

If you don't find these numbers STOP and read all the details in these posts!

Assuming you found the correct numbers...
Still in winhex, went to tools>disk tools>clone disk
Selected the source file I extracted above, browserzeroed120gb
Selected the destination to be my Western Digital 120 gb drive (don't get this one wrong or you will ruin your PC hard drive)
Checked copy entire source file
Entered the following value into start sector (destination)
228150192 (use for 120gb drive)
If you have a different size drive:
154545024 (use for 80 gb drive)

Clicked OK. You'll get a popup warning. Again clicked OK. Watched the progress bar. Only took a few seconds.

Shutdown my PC and powered it and the UTV off. Unpluged both. Hooked everything back up the way it was when I started.

Powered up my UTV and unbelievable... it really works!!!

Thanks to all the genius out there that figured this one out. I can't take any credit.

teacherspet
01-03-2004, 11:03 AM
Would someone post this file thanks I cant seem to find it
[AuthFile.dat]

aLfer
01-03-2004, 11:08 AM
[AuthFile.dat]

You can get the file from any of the images posted in this thread. Follow satchmoe's instructions using a seperate harddrive or empty partition to mount the image. The file will be in the root directory of the drive.

aLfer

Dickydoo
01-03-2004, 12:00 PM
Alfer

I am having trouble doing the hotswap.

I have booted the UTV and when the UTV drive shows the setup screen, I disconnect the ide cable and then reboot my pc, hit pause, attach the ide cable from PC, but winhex is not recognizing my UTV drive.

Ddoes the UTV drive have to be changed to a secondary drive when I atach it to the pc?

Do I need to reinsytall the 3.5 image to the 40gb UTV drive, let it boot to setup and then do the hotswap.

I dont have any trouble getting winhex to recognize the UTV drive after I have run mhd and install the 3,5 image.

Thanks for your support.

Anyone else having this problem and that s corrected it, please advise, thank you.

geminicat
01-03-2004, 12:15 PM
Alfer

I am having trouble doing the hotswap.

I have booted the UTV and when the UTV drive shows the setup screen, I disconnect the ide cable and then reboot my pc, hit pause, attach the ide cable from PC, but winhex is not recognizing my UTV drive.

Ddoes the UTV drive have to be changed to a secondary drive when I atach it to the pc?

Do I need to reinsytall the 3.5 image to the 40gb UTV drive, let it boot to setup and then do the hotswap.

I dont have any trouble getting winhex to recognize the UTV drive after I have run mhd and install the 3,5 image.

Thanks for your support.

Anyone else having this problem and that s corrected it, please advise, thank you.

Anytime I have ever done the Hotswap process I have always done it with the UTV powered off. Just Plug in the UTV wait for the blinking light to stop and about 30-60 Seconds later disconnect the IDE Cable from the UTV and plug in My SECONDARY MASTER Cable. Make sure that there is nothing attached to your Secondary Slave Cable when attempting this. See if you get better results that way.

So if you have the OS loaded and its working correctly (see TV) unplug the UTV for about 5 minutes. Have your PC in pause mode ahead of time. Plug in UTV wait for lights to stop flashing (do not hit Power ON) 30 - 60 seconds later plug in the Secondary Master IDE from your PC to the UTV drive. Should see UTV drive in Winhex.

michelb
01-03-2004, 01:28 PM
[AuthFile.dat]

As mentioned in another response, you can just extract it from one of the images but I've attached it here to save a step (I renamed it to zip so that it can be attached but it's actually just the 'AuthFile.dat' so just rename it to that and copy over).

Note that you only want to use this if you need to keep your prior recordings - if you don't really care, just use the regular image because it's a lot less trouble.

Hope this helps,
Mike

P.s. using this file, eliminates the need to have the 2nd partition I mentioned in my tips.

wringo
01-04-2004, 03:40 AM
im having troble downloading the file thx

fixn278
01-04-2004, 04:09 AM
im having troble downloading the file thx

Downloads fine... Are you renaming it like the post says?

wringo
01-04-2004, 12:50 PM
i cant down load it it comes up with a blank page i am trying to down load from page 2 in this thread is there another place to dowload it thx

ps could somebody post the 40 gig browser please

gboch
01-04-2004, 04:09 PM
winhex won't let me save the modified file. keeps giving error invalid file user.text?

Er0cK
01-04-2004, 07:33 PM
winhex won't let me save the modified file. keeps giving error invalid file user.text?

Do you have a regestered version of winhex...if not you need one.

teacherspet
01-04-2004, 09:50 PM
Ive try to get the computer to read harddrive but with xp it will not work at all.

teutenfw
01-04-2004, 10:15 PM
i cant down load it it comes up with a blank page i am trying to down load from page 2 in this thread is there another place to dowload it thx

ps could somebody post the 40 gig browser please

Most of the files available for download in this thread end with the extension bmp, such as browser.bmp posted by aLfer on 12-18-2003, 10:36 PM. The bmp extension is used to fool firewalls and other software to allow download of the file because some users cannot download files with extensions like exe, zip, or rar. If you click on the file with the intention to download it, such as browser.bmp, most browsers will attempt to display the file as an image and since it is not really an image you will get an X.

You need to right click on the file and pick "Save Target As" from the popup menu. You'll get a popup window. Pick where you want to save the file, and change the file name from browser.bmp to browser.rar Now click on save on you will have succesfully downloaded the file.

browser.rar is a RAR file, which is like a ZIP file only better. You will need a utilty to extract the files you need from this RAR archive; if you don't have such a utility you will need to download one from the Internet somewhere. They are easy to find, just try google with RAR ZIP download free.

This particular RAR file contains three more RAR files. You'll need to pick the one appropriate and then again extract to get the ultimate file you need. See my 01-03-2004, 02:51 AM post for more details.

wringo
01-05-2004, 07:01 PM
thank's guy's you guy's are great to figure all of this out so quick

merdav
01-06-2004, 08:23 AM
IRD=RCA490 40GB
I ran mhd3 on my original 40GB drive=flawless
I applied the 3.5 OS with my registered Winhex=flawless
At this point I receive all of my channels perfectly, but recording is in preview mode.
I hot swapped my UTV and PC as per instructions, but when I open Winhex I get HARD DRIVE ERROR READING SECTOR 0, if I bypass this the errors just continue. I hook everything back up to my TV "as is" and still have all my channels but in preview mode. So I haven't "locked" my drive out.
Hot swap again, and again, and again, try to erase and start all over, same errors.
Yet writing the OS system to my drive is always a piece of cake. Now if I goto offset 178c1094,= 00 00 00 00.
#1-Why the hard drive errors after the OS has been applied, but perfect when I apply it?
#2-Why the 00 00 00 00 at 178c1094 but the IRD receives channels perfect?

I have about 10 man hours into this already, anyone, PLEASE, help.......o

aLfer
01-06-2004, 05:38 PM
merdav, as has already been explained a thousand times, you are getting those errors because you arent unlocking the drive properly. There is no need to re-zero and reapply the image. Follow the steps mentioned earlier in this thread on how to properly do the swap trick and unlock the drive.

aLfer

merdav
01-06-2004, 08:23 PM
merdav, as has already been explained a thousand times, you are getting those errors because you arent unlocking the drive properly. There is no need to re-zero and reapply the image. Follow the steps mentioned earlier in this thread on how to properly do the swap trick and unlock the drive.

aLfer

I only zeroed and applied my 3.5 image once. I have my UTV right next to my puter. Boot the UTV -disconnect IDE- Hook up P.C., P.C. sees both drives....boot to winhex. Error reading drive sectors, and when I goto 178c1094.....nothing,00 00 00 00. I think I can do this in my sleep at this point. Even tried a different drive tonite same thing. I have read EVERY post and printed about 20 pages, followed step by step.......is there ANYTHING I missed???????????????????

Maxr
01-06-2004, 09:17 PM
I only zeroed and applied my 3.5 image once. I have my UTV right next to my puter. Boot the UTV -disconnect IDE- Hook up P.C., P.C. sees both drives....boot to winhex. Error reading drive sectors, and when I goto 178c1094.....nothing,00 00 00 00. I think I can do this in my sleep at this point. Even tried a different drive tonite same thing. I have read EVERY post and printed about 20 pages, followed step by step.......is there ANYTHING I missed???????????????????
If your image was written correctly and you get it to work just that you are stuck with demo mode, then the only thing I can think of is that you need to wait a little longer between booting up the UTV receiver and then hotswapping it to your pc. So boot up the UTV and wait a full 2 mins at least, then swap the ide cables of the receiver and the pc. Waiting longer will ensure that the hard drive is unlocked. Try it and see if that helps.

Maxr
01-06-2004, 09:23 PM
My question is: when I type in the offset position 178c1094, I see the same letters and numbers but in a different order. I am not clear on what word swapping is. In any case, what I see at that position is 4B B0 0D 99 for the WD 120gb. Is there something I need to do to get it in the right order before writing the image? If so, what and how?

Thanks for the help.

UPDATE: I think I got it. If I simply swap the bytes in the form alfer showed in the examples, I get 0D 99 4B B0, which is what I should see. I guess the purpose of word swapping the bytes to read it as it is logically read? The point in word swapping is what I'm not sure of. If you said you should see 4B B0 0D 99 at the offset position then I would just go ahead and clone the image. Word swapping is so that you can get the offset position on where to write the image, is that correct?

Maxr
01-06-2004, 11:56 PM
Got it to work. Thanks everyone, especially aLfer and Satch.

merdav
01-07-2004, 08:41 AM
I got it too! I didn't understand why when I did the hotswap I had to power and hit pause. I was just hooking up the UTV to my PC and powering it up, it was seeing the UTV and PC drives but wouldn't let me write to the drive. The key was to make sure you do the pause before the drives are detected hookup UTV and hit space bar to continue. Thanks aLFER and Maxr.

klassic
01-07-2004, 12:23 PM
In Win2k (I don't know about the rest)

I just hook up the drive to the IDE and go to Device Manager and search for new hardware... no need to do the power up, pause method.

RandC
01-08-2004, 12:12 PM

I just hook up the drive to the IDE and go to Device Manager and search for new hardware... no need to do the power up, pause method.
Windows98 here. Power and pause method required. Kind of makes me wish I had Win2K.

Kazak
01-08-2004, 08:34 PM

You know? I think WinXP is the same. I've been doing the pause method but next time I'll try the search for new hardware method.

Thanks for the heads up klassic. You must fool with these things a lot... :D

kazak

klassic
01-08-2004, 09:30 PM
No.... these things have been foolin' with me a a lot :mad:

el3men2
01-09-2004, 12:01 AM
My original RCA UTV has a 45GB HDD can some one please help me figure out which sector a should write the browser at. I was able to do 120GB WD HDD with no problem tried doing the browser fits all on the 450AW but was unable to fix it, if some has done this HDD please post which start sector I need to write the image at.
Thx in advance.

Er0cK
01-10-2004, 12:04 AM
My original RCA UTV has a 45GB HDD can some one please help me figure out which sector a should write the browser at. I was able to do 120GB WD HDD with no problem tried doing the browser fits all on the 450AW but was unable to fix it, if some has done this HDD please post which start sector I need to write the image at.
Thx in advance.

You should just edit an image and figure out what sector you need to write for your specific drive. It looks very difficult, but in reality its not. There are 2 posts (one by satchmoe and one by aLfer) you should print and read very carefully - follow step by step. Its not that hard, if I can do it anyone can. So give it a shot, its good knowledge to have since youre prolly gonna have to do it again sometime.

pdh0987
01-11-2004, 04:05 PM
I have WD 45gb goto offset 178c1000 on your drive, scroll down to 178c1094 look at the 4 bytes . On a 45gb drive this will be B7F004DD this is word swapped for 04DDB70F mutiply this value by 200hex to get the drive offset of the browser partition in this case 9BB6E1E00
this is the drive offset where the partition starts. the decimal sector number for above is 41799261696 which is what you would type into winhex when you clone it. Is this right?

Er0cK
01-11-2004, 04:32 PM
if the four sectors are B7 F0 04 DD, word swapped it would be 04 DD B7 F0

pdh0987
01-11-2004, 05:06 PM
is my idecimal sector number 81639408?

aLfer
01-11-2004, 06:58 PM
the number at 178c1094 (after the byte swap) is your SECTOR number in HEX. multiplying this number by 200 hex gives you your drive OFFSET in hex. However, winhex's clone disk tool wants a SECTOR number, only it needs it in DECIMAL form. So you open windows calc, switch to scientific view, click the hex radio button (instead of decimal), type in the swapped number from 178c1094, then click the DECIMAL radio button to convert the hex to decimal. This will then be the number you enter into winhex's disk clone tool. Dont forget to add 20 HEX sectors to the number if you are using satchmoe's browser-fitsall. If you are editing one of the images I posted, then you will not add the 20 sectors. pdh0987, 81639408 IS the correct sector for you, but you only use that if you are editing one of my posted images. you will need to add 20 HEX to that number at 178c1094 before converting to decimal IF you are using satchmoe's browser-fitsall. (You could also add the dec equivalent of 20 hex [32] to the decimal number you posted.)

aLfer

pdh0987
01-11-2004, 08:18 PM
worked good thinks for the help

teacherspet
01-12-2004, 10:24 PM
All is good dtv sent down that file that was missing

Spydertech
01-12-2004, 11:10 PM
All is good dtv sent down that file that was missing
Is dave sending down the info in a blanket move, or do we need to call in?

jamie11
01-13-2004, 12:51 AM
Seems to be a blanket move...mine just started working again... :D