PDA

View Full Version : Ebay S1 Purchase and P4

twell
12-12-2003, 08:00 PM
I looking at buying a DSR6000 unit from ebay. It has been upgraded with a larger HD and has a "lifetime" sub.

I want to buy this and get a new card from DTV (P4) and would subcribe to their service including the ~$5 TIVO. I expect the "lifetime sub" with it has been due to some hack, so I'm not comfortable using it or telling DTV the unit I purchased has a lifetime so no need to pay the ~$5 a month.

Question 1: Can I just use this unit with the P4 they send me and pay the ~$5 a month and not have it dail out (it has that hack too)

Question 2: Can I use the lifetime sub someway, even though there may be no record of it at DTV/Tivo as being purchased?

I've searched and found the P4 legits can be used with the series 1, but these specific questions were not answered.

Cheers, Twell

Buckeyes1995
12-12-2003, 09:20 PM
1. You cannot hack P4 cards.
2. Even if it was hacked somehow, what you are implying is no different than stealing service. If you suspected a hacked unit and looked for a workaround not to report to DirectTV, how are you not stealing service?

Perhaps I misunderstood what you're trying to accomplish, but let me assure you that any P4 unit sold on Ebay or anywhere else for that matter is NOT hacked.

If you're legitimately worried about it and something turns out funny you can file a fraud report with eBay.

Jim

twell
12-12-2003, 09:45 PM
"Perhaps I misunderstood what you're trying to accomplish"

INDEED you did. Was I that unclear. Who wants to hack a P4?

This unit I may purchase may have a lifetime sub hack and other things.

I want to subscribe to DTV and pay $5 a month - but I don't want them to claim that I have a "hacked" box, re: the no interest to dial out. It's just that I may get a good price on used equip. with a big drive, but I don't want any claims....

My two questions remain......

ekati
12-12-2003, 09:57 PM
Didn't they used to have a tivo lifetime sub for $299? Just so you didn't need to pay the $5/month.

twell
12-12-2003, 10:28 PM
yes they did have the lifetime sub for a price. But I don't know if this unit has a "legit" lifetime or a hacked. How can one tell?

12-12-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by twell
yes they did have the lifetime sub for a price. But I don't know if this unit has a "legit" lifetime or a hacked. How can one tell?

Doesn't matter, rules changed and lifetime is now with the account and not the unit. In other words lifetime doesn't transfer with the unit.

tytyty
12-13-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Buckeyes1995
1. You cannot hack P4 cards.
2. Even if it was hacked somehow, what you are implying is no different than stealing service. If you suspected a hacked unit and looked for a workaround not to report to DirectTV, how are you not stealing service?

Perhaps I misunderstood what you're trying to accomplish, but let me assure you that any P4 unit sold on Ebay or anywhere else for that matter is NOT hacked.

If you're legitimately worried about it and something turns out funny you can file a fraud report with eBay.

Jim

Apparently YOU cannot read.

He said he was going to buy a questionable "lifetime" unit off of ebay

SUBSCRIBE with DTV get a P4
and PAY the extra 5 for the Tivo service

Read first bash later

Nothing in his post said OR implied he was "stealing" which is what you did with all of our time.

fixn278
12-13-2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by twell
I looking at buying a DSR6000 unit from ebay. It has been upgraded with a larger HD and has a "lifetime" sub.

I want to buy this and get a new card from DTV (P4) and would subcribe to their service including the ~$5 TIVO. I expect the "lifetime sub" with it has been due to some hack, so I'm not comfortable using it or telling DTV the unit I purchased has a lifetime so no need to pay the ~$5 a month.

Question 1: Can I just use this unit with the P4 they send me and pay the ~$5 a month and not have it dail out (it has that hack too)

Question 2: Can I use the lifetime sub someway, even though there may be no record of it at DTV/Tivo as being purchased?

I've searched and found the P4 legits can be used with the series 1, but these specific questions were not answered.

Cheers, Twell

Yes, DTV will send you a card when you sub (probably cost you $20 though) that should work find in the receiver. If you bought a new receiver, that's what you would get anyway.

If it says lifetime sub, then it is probably hacked becuase lifetime subs are no longer for sale for DirecTivos and non-transferrable. You can certainly call DTV and subscribe the receiver.

No, you can't use the lifetime sub since it is not legit.

Good luck

Buckeyes1995
12-13-2003, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by tytyty
Apparently YOU cannot read.

He said he was going to buy a questionable "lifetime" unit off of ebay

SUBSCRIBE with DTV get a P4
and PAY the extra 5 for the Tivo service

Read first bash later

Nothing in his post said OR implied he was "stealing" which is what you did with all of our time.

And I'm saying that selling such an item on eBay is fraud. If he did get 'had' by the seller he would have legal recourse.

While I'm sure the subtleties in similiar posts are too much for you to comprehend, there are often people that disguise posts in the form of a "legit question" to learn about how they can steal service; and I thought possibly (admittedly, incorecctly) that he may have been one of these posters. Learn to read, get a clue, and then I'll enterain your attempt at a bash.

I obviously mis-understood what he was asking but never implied he was stealing service.

And I fail to see how a Series 2 unit can have a hacked liftetime subscription (unless of course it was modified to use an HU card) which the original poster never mentioned and I'm sure would not be 'cheap equipment'.

Jim

tytyty
12-13-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Buckeyes1995
And I'm saying that selling such an item on eBay is fraud. If he did get 'had' by the seller he would have legal recourse.

While I'm sure the subtleties in similiar posts are too much for you to comprehend, there are often people that disguise posts in the form of a "legit question" to learn about how they can steal service; and I thought possibly (admittedly, incorecctly) that he may have been one of these posters. Learn to read, get a clue, and then I'll enterain your attempt at a bash.

I obviously mis-understood what he was asking but never implied he was stealing service.

And I fail to see how a Series 2 unit can have a hacked liftetime subscription (unless of course it was modified to use an HU card) which the original poster never mentioned and I'm sure would not be 'cheap equipment'.

Jim

Your words

Even if it was hacked somehow, what you are implying is no different than stealing service.

Sure you never implied he was trying to "steal" service.

His words

I looking at buying a DSR6000 unit from ebay

Do some research DSR6000 is not an series 2

You have lost at all your feeble attempts to justify bashing this person remove your post like a man.

Once again LEARN TO READ

DeTer
12-13-2003, 09:32 AM
My question is why do you want a DSR6000 when you could buy a S2 DSR7000 with a P4 card with no contract and do what you are wanting to do with the S1? The DSR7000 is probably cheaper than the S1 and you can sub both DTV & TiVo service.
Regards
DeTer

be18driver
12-13-2003, 10:11 AM
Twell
Dave will be happy to send you a new P4 or P5 card and welcome you to the ranks of legit subscribers. All they ask is the model & serial number of the unit. Keep you answers short, simple and honest ( Name, Rank, & Serial number).
Enjoy

Onesaysitall
12-13-2003, 11:00 AM
DTV no longers allows used equipment to be subbed as the primary reciever. You may add used equipment to an existing account.

MonsieurEd
12-17-2003, 05:54 PM
And to add to the comment quoted below, if you add a USED receiver (ie: one a friend gave you), they automatically extend your committment for a year. Not that I don't plan on keeping DTV, but I think THAT is wrong.
Originally posted by Onesaysitall
DTV no longers allows used equipment to be subbed as the primary reciever. You may add used equipment to an existing account.