PDA

View Full Version : Problem with ty -> mpg with tytools not happening with tystudio

salva
12-14-2003, 01:49 PM
Hi, I'm not fitting this neither in tystudio nor in tytools because it fits in the middle ....

OK, here is the thing...

I'm extracting video from TiVo (ty) with mfs_ftp, then my intention was (still is) edit and convert it with tytools to further divx conversion.

The problem I'm getting, is that, the mpeg video obtained with tystudio when converted to divx is sort of "jumpy" (very small stops almos unnoticeable). That same ty stream, edited and converted (Audio no Transcoding and elemental MPEG2 stream) to MPEG is correctly converted to divx.

Now, I like tytools, and I will like to use rudder to use tystudio.

- Anyone has any Idea why I'm having this problem with tytools ?

Salva

rc3105
12-15-2003, 02:11 AM
can you re-state the question? that didn't make much sense...

salva
12-15-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by rc3105
can you re-state the question? that didn't make much sense...

Uppsss ... you are rigth

Basically ...

My Intention ...
Convert TiVo videos into DivX

My Process (intended)
tivo to pc with mfs_ftp
ty to mpeg with tytools
mpeg to divx with drdivx

The problem I got: the resulting avi has small (almost unnoticeble) stops and results in a sort of "jumpy" clip.

If tystudio is used in the process instead tytools, the video is correctly encoded with drdivx.

- What can be happening with tytool that does not happen (to me) with tystudio that makes the mpeg clip not being correctly encoded with drdivx ?

I'm extracting the video from a UK tivo wich is PAL, I don't know if this will make any difference to the whole thing.

Salva
Spain

rc3105
12-15-2003, 10:20 AM
ah, now we can understand what you're asking :D

anybody with tytool experience want to try & answer this question?

rung
12-16-2003, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by salva

My Process (intended)
tivo to pc with mfs_ftp
ty to mpeg with tytools
mpeg to divx with drdivx

An why you don't do:
tivo to pc with mfs_ftp
ty to mpeg with tyeditor
mpeg to divx with drdivx

Was there a technical reason or just that you prefer tytools?

Hi8
12-16-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by rung
An why you don't do:
tivo to pc with mfs_ftp
ty to mpeg with tyeditor
mpeg to divx with drdivx

Was there a technical reason or just that you prefer tytools?

somewhat obvious - but have you tried extracting with tytool? I'm not sure why that should make a difference but you never know.

please report your findings; I'm also leaning in a direction that involves encoding to divx -- trying some experiments to stream to my new Prismiq -- plays TiVo mpgs fine, but are large files, and if I can get divx quality and save space it's a no brainer! I have to admit though, I'm a bit spoiled with the quality I have now. It's going to have to be really good to switch and add the additional transcoding time to the process... I think I'll end up getting a larger storage solution instead.

keith721
12-16-2003, 07:40 PM
I have used TyTool 8r3 to extract directly from my standalone Sony SVR-2000 to an MPEG file, followed by DrDiVx to create the AVI file. Since it's a daily hour-long show at "Better" quality, the MPEG file is about 1.2 gigabytes. After DrDiVx to portable AVI file, it's about 300 megabytes.

Since both TyTool and DrDiVx allow selecting and batch processing several files, I typically process a week's worth of one-hour shows overnight.

rc3105
12-16-2003, 10:08 PM
in my experience tytool mpg has never worked for transcoding purposes - it still has too much tivo strangeness embedded

I think mpauley said he'd had good results using DrDivx with the tyshow filter, thus eliminating the whole ty->mpg conversion step

salva
12-17-2003, 06:20 PM
Well, reason I'm want tytool instead tystudio is that I like the way it handles batch mode.

and, the reason I'm using mfs_ftp instead tystudio own's extraction process, is that tytool hang my tivo.

I Guess that using tytool will be my only option

Salva
Spain

steve-0
12-19-2003, 03:50 PM
I have only recently hacked my Tivo so I am new to this data extraction lark, and I thought it was just me. I too noticed the same problem when I tried using tytool. After I had extracted the ty stream using tytool and converted to mpeg the file did not playback smoothly. Every second or so there seemed to be a slight pause.

I found that playing the ty file using tyshow or converting it to mpeg using tystudio didn't give the same jumpy playback.

I get the impression (from the few posts that I have read) that tytool seems more popular than tystudio so when I encountered these problem I thought it must be something I was doing wrong.

It would seem that is not quite the case.

rc3105
12-19-2003, 11:03 PM
tytool is focused on making dvd's, and there's a sticky thread of players compatible with tytool mpg/vob (the output is still kinda wacky)

tystudio was written to get nice clean mpg from ty - from there you can do whatever you want with it, make a vob, transcode, etc

tytool is sort of a one-stop tivo-centric util for noobs

tystudio is generally the ty->mpg utility in the toolboxes of folks that know what their doing

tiivohoe
12-20-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by rc3105
tystudio is generally the ty->mpg utility in the toolboxes of folks that know what their doing

Can one of the"folks that know what their doing" tell us why tystudio crashes at 49% in Win XP? I have found others with the problem but no causes or fix.:confused:

rc3105
12-21-2003, 12:56 AM
not a clue. the installer version, cvs & personal builds all work fine under xp here

crashing at 50% is a common problem with s2 streams. none of the tystudio developers had s2's when the current rev was posted so s2 support isn't 100%.

archive as tmf/ty+ until somebody feels like working on s2 support or cross your fingers & try tytool?

Zak0
12-21-2003, 07:31 PM
I use TyTool 8r3 to extract the .ty, make key files, cut commercials with GopEditor, and use vsplit to dump to an MPG file.

I demux the MPG into a M2V/MP2 using TMPGEnc, index the M2V with DVD2AVI, encode the M2V to XviD using Gordian Knot and the MP2 to MP3 using BeSweet. Lastly, I use VirtualDubMod to mux the AVI with the MP3 audio to get my final file.

Source is S1 DirecTivo, not a standalone (in case that matters). People say my encodes are beautiful. I think they're pretty good (look great when played on my 27" TV from my Xbox anyhow).

-Zak