PDA

View Full Version : DSR6000 Hardware Problem

cobbmtn1
12-15-2003, 06:06 PM
Hi everyone, I really appreciate this forum and people helping people like You do here! I have read and read in this forum and have never heard of anyone having the exact same problem as I do.

I have a DSR6000 that acts like it has a loose connection somewhere but I have searched and searched and I can locate nothing loose or out of place. I have a DSR6000 that I have upgraded to a 120GB running Extreme 2.5.2, that upgrade went without a hitch. My DTIVO boots up just as it is supposed to normally and works until the picture either loses color (B&W) or the color gets all messed up and potentially locks up. If I lightly tap on the DTIVO, it may restore the color but it also might cause the unit to lock up. It does it completely random and I can duplicate the problem by tapping on the DTIVO when it is working properly.

To resolve the issue, I have tried the factory HD that came with the DTIVO, pulled both flat ribbon cables at both ends and cleaned, replaced the IDE cable all without fixing the issue. I am not skilled with a voltage meter to test the power supply but I could probably get my hands on one if I had to.

I had attached a picture that shows the color messed up. As you will see, the color is not avvid and there are lines going through the color. To get this, the DSR6000 booted to this point normally, I tapped the DSR6000 and duplicated the problem.

Any suggestions at what might be causing this? Thanks!

Cobbmtn1

cobbmtn1
12-15-2003, 06:08 PM
Cobbmtn1

sinman
12-15-2003, 10:59 PM
What output are you using RCA, Fiber, Coaxial? Have you tried a different output?
I'm new to this also, but if it were me I would try another output and see if you have the same problem.

GREEK
12-16-2003, 03:31 AM
THats the ouput most likely, not the tivo. Test it with either rca jacks, svideo, or another cable of what your using. I would think the unit itself would not even output that if it were a bad solder or component......

cali
12-16-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by GREEK
THats the ouput most likely, not the tivo. Test it with either rca jacks, svideo, or another cable of what your using. I would think the unit itself would not even output that if it were a bad solder or component......

And if that doesnt work, try some "cold spray" from radio shack. Dont over freeze components...but im betting here that greek is right....some cabling issue.

cobbmtn1
12-20-2003, 06:54 PM
Thanks to all that have replied and helped me. It appears that there is something wrong with the S-Video output as when I removed it and changed the output to composite and tried to simulate the issue, I could not.

Greek, are you aware of a fix for this S-Video out short, if that is the right word or do I have to live with composite out, which isn't all that bad or send it into Phillips for their $99 repair?

Cobbmtn1

cobbmtn1
12-20-2003, 09:11 PM
I was wrong, it doesn't seem to be the S-Video connector. I installed 2 new HD's in the unit without the issue occurring and using the composite video. I reinstalled everyting including the cover and the flaky color with lines reoccurred. Tapped on the top of the DTIVO and the color restored without rebooting. By the way, the flaky color issue has been reproduced with and without the cover installed, if that is important.

I am at a loss again, any other thoughts about my color problem issue?

Cobbmtn1

GREEK
12-21-2003, 03:25 AM
WHere did this unit come from? R U the original owner? If its definitely not the cable, which I would think, its probably the actual standup module failing. I personally would just use rca outs, or pop the board out and look underneath for a bad solder or problem. I have seen failing optical outs, they can be fixed, the svideo and opt out is one piece unit. If you cant live without it, this can definitley be fixed for alot less than 99 bucks.......

cobbmtn1
12-21-2003, 12:23 PM
Greek, I purchased the unit, manufacturer refurbished from a long standing e-company. I purchased this unit this year and it was one of their last ones that they were getting. Since I broke the seal and upgraded the software, HD, and turbonet card, I knew any warranty was long gone.

Since I am only a little above a newbie on this subject, which module are you talking about popping out? Also, are you thinking the problem is with the S-Video or Composite cable because I have tried many all seeing the same video issue.

I recently purchased another unit on eBay and it arrived and looked next to new, the remote is new and the unit works perfectly after the upgrades. I am planning to get the DSR6000 that I am having the video issue with to my daughter and her husband and will pay for the repair if need be, I believe the unit is worth it.

Again, the unit can work normal for days, then the color and lines screw up the picture and I tap on it and it may restore the color, but the unit may also freeze and I have to reboot it and make sure the color is correct on the boot up "Phillips" screen. The unit can work great for a week or more, it can also go through its video issue many times a day. If the unit is recording when this happens, the recordings are fine when played back when the unit is functioning properly, so this is definitely something to do with playback sequence.

Greek, what would you do now? Thanks.

Cobbmtn1

Tiros
12-21-2003, 01:41 PM
Since tapping the unit always re-creates the problem, its probably a loose connection. I suggest that you power up with the cover off and use a non metallic stick to poke around the board until you find the area that is sensitive. Try to touchand wiggle individidual components to narrow down the exact spot that causes the problem. Pop out the main board and visually inspect for solder problems. Retouch solder everything in the sensitive area, even if you cant see a problem. Pay attention to all connectors, especially the risers that connect to the outside world, sometimes jimmying cables in and out causes the connectors to break free at the solder point.

Freeze spray "dribbling" on individual components may also help to localize the problem. I use a hair dryer to warm things back up if needed.

GREEK
12-21-2003, 03:30 PM
If I were you, and you feel comfortable, I would remove the mainboard from the case and really inspect it well on the underside and top around the outputs. It is most definitely a bad connector, I have repaired a few of these, mainly the optical outs I see go bad. THat actual piece(the svideo + opt out) is a combined unit, and has tall connection pins inside of it. THere are a couple of spots on the board where there are often problems with the soldering from the factory, and the opt out is one of them. It is pretty easy to check this out, you can run hte unit with the drive folded over the front, and like the previous poster said, press slightly on that ouput with non metallic instrument or tap slightly, to see if you can get it to go. I would think that if its that easy to get it to go, it would probably be visible to the eye. You could also have a local shop pop that module off and inspect it and reattach it, any experienced elec. shop guy can do it. Ask ahead what they charge, some places go hourly rate and may not solve the problem, only if its cheap do it. I have parts if you end up needing them, pm me if you need to. Whatever you do, keep away from the supply, especially when its on. I would think just a wiggle with a finger would cause it to happen, the module is plastic on top, so its ok to touch just that part. The fact it records perfect color no matter what, and you tried different cables, its pretty much nothing else. BTW, you did try rca and coax only, and they did work fine, correct?.........

cobbmtn1
12-21-2003, 07:46 PM
Well, I removed the motherboard and did a visual inspection and nothing looked unusual but I am not a trained eye. I reassembled the unit and tapped on it after rebooting and unfortunately, the problem is still there. I cleaned both flat white ribbon cables with an eraser while it was torn apart.

Is it possible that it is something in the power supply area?

Cobbmtn1

Tiros
12-21-2003, 08:55 PM
It's probably a cracked main board.

GREEK
12-21-2003, 10:57 PM
where are you tapping? the white ribbon has nothing to do with this, nor does the supply, forget them. Did you try moving just the svideo + opt module itself? Basically, your trying to pinpoint the problem to one spot, thats the goal. Once you have it down to a certain area, its alot easier to figure out. Its very easy to have a cold solder or a cracked solder joint, possibly even a loose cap thats ungrounding itself. Its possible its the mpeg decoder, but unlikely. I would think the internal trace on the standup module cracked, you need to tinker carefully, and narrow it down. Tapping the whole unit will vibrate everything, do a section at a time...

cali
12-23-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by cali
try some "cold spray" from radio shack. Dont over freeze components...