PDA

View Full Version : sony directivo died - how to fix?

geoi310
12-18-2003, 02:35 AM
I have a sony sat-60 that just died. It was a single drive unit that was upgraded to a 2 drive unit. It would reboot nightly for the past week and today, it never got past the welcome screen.
Took out the second drive (it was making strange noises) and rebooted. Still doesn't get past the welcome screen.

Searched for a replacement image but just found out they aren't available where they use to be...

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this unit working again?

Anyone have an sat-60 image I could try?

SithLord
12-19-2003, 06:53 PM
Sounds like the problem I had. Get a replacement drive then image that drive. That's what I ended up doing. At that time, hinsdale had some good deals, so I sent my T60 to him, where he installed a 120GB and a 100GB drive. He also puts the base T60 DTIVO image on the drives. Note: He does NOT and will NOT put any TIVO hacks or upgrades. He deals with above board TIVO stuff; hence his ability to simply repair or replace HD's with the factory image.

After you get them from hinsdale, you can then apply sz's upgrade, etc.

GREEK
12-21-2003, 03:16 AM
you cant just pull one drive and expect the other to work, the drives are married. Simply test each drive with the manufacturers software, and then check the bad drive for warranty info, may still be covered. If one of the drives is the original, thats probably bad. You dont need the original drive, tivostuff.com has images, if you want the nonhacked, just load the one there and dial in, will put back to original status after dialing in.......

geoi310
12-23-2003, 02:22 AM
Just a few questions to clarify my options.

I have a sony sat-60 series 1. It has a blessed second drive added.

One of the drives died. Tivo shows the botting up screen but doesn't go past.
I believe it's the upgrade drive that died.

Questions -
If I bless another drive, can I just use that to replace the bad drive? Will the A drive recognize the blessed drive and reconfigure itself?

Or, if that's not possible - can I make a backup of the current A drive, move that image to a new drive and use that as a replacement A drive? Is there some option in the mfstools to let the drive know that's it's back to an unmarried drive?

If there are other options, please let me know.

If all else fails, I'll purchase a replacement A drive with an image allready on it.

Thank you,

GREEK
12-23-2003, 10:21 PM
search google for the "hinsdale-how-to" the url is newreleasevideos.com I beleive. he has the possible situations and scenarios listed there. Depending how big your drives are, you may have trouble.....

compwiz312
12-25-2003, 05:23 PM
geoi, you will need to restore using a known good backup to fix your problem. Since you can't download them directly, if you don't have a good backup, send me a PM and I will see if I can help you.

Happy Holidays