PDA

View Full Version : Live Recording eventually stutters and dies

rbiro
12-20-2003, 01:35 AM
My 2 year old SVR-2000 (Sony Series 1) started to behave badly about 1-2 months ago when I started to experiment with large drives.
The problem is that after a varying amount of time without any user input, the audio goes out on live/recording and then the video starts to stutter until finally, TiVo can't lock onto any channel.

Even while recording is dying/dead, playback (on good input streams, like older recordings) works flawlessly.

At the most hosed, TiVo gets about 2 seconds on wonderfully recorded video before the Blue Screen of no-input comes on. All TiVo screens work and changing the channel is 'functional' - the channel lineup data is updated, but it can't always get a picture. Since TiVo goes to the Blue Screen, I don't know what the "corrupted" video looks like.

I tried removing various hacks, but now within 24 hours the problems still happen. Finally, I went to the virgin backup and that too "died" within 1 day.

Also I put the original drive in another SVR-2000 and did not experience any problems over 2 days.

I use the co-ax input so I'm not sure if the problem is in the Turner module or the MPEG chip or ???

Even if somebody could devise a test that would pinpoint the failing component, is it likely to be repairable for under $100? Even on huge wires my soldering ability invites mockery, let alone surface mount stuff.

Thanks

AVD
12-28-2003, 04:25 PM
You probably could find a Series 1 SA TiVo for under $100, Do you have lifetime service?

This sounds like problems people are having with CachCard installations. You might just have a bad power problem.

You cant transfer lifetime service from one TiVo to another, it is protected by a crypto chip soldered on the board. Search for "crypt" and it will tell you why.

AlphaWolf
12-28-2003, 05:06 PM
Well, with s1 units, you can clone the units serial number with a crypto chip command. I am not 100%, but I am pretty sure that so long as you no longer use the old unit, tivo will not notice the difference when the new unit calls in with the old units serial number, and the subscription will work just fine.