PDA

View Full Version : tytool overlay for FoxNews and CNN DVDs?

FredThompson
12-22-2003, 08:06 AM
Fox News Channel and CNN have a constant ticker at the bottom of the screen. Seems to me it should be possible to have a closed caption bitmap overlay that covers this up with black.

Does anyone know how to do this? It should be easy enough, especially for DTiVo source as the co-ordinates would be pretty consistent. Wonder if it could be rolled into tytool's output...

rd001
12-27-2003, 10:15 AM
Just do a simple mod to the available tivovbi source code.

Here's a few threads from alt.org, search for 'osd' and 'vbi' and 'ioctl' over there:

AltOrgPhpWiki - Tivo VBI (http://alt.org/wiki/index.php/TivoVBI) This is their official support page.

OSD Console Writer (for Series 1) (http://alt.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=95&start=0&rid=0&S=2215bdee0539afbea5a206ac7182ecd3)

mpeg decoder ioctl codes (http://alt.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=480&rid=0&S=2215bdee0539afbea5a206ac7182ecd3#msg_480)

An older member of my family was complaining the other day about wanting (unobtrusive) closed captioning on FNC. So your solution could be useful for some hearing-impaired people.

FredThompson
12-27-2003, 10:34 AM
That would work for playback of a tystream. I was thinking about DVD.

Guess all that junk would be really distracting to someone with poor vision.

rd001
12-27-2003, 01:05 PM
That would work for playback of a tystream. I was thinking about DVD.

Guess all that junk would be really distracting to someone with poor vision.
Oh! My bad.

Well, if you're talking about putting CC on a DVD, you'd have to do some kind of re-encoding of the whole stream and extract the captions on the Tivo, I think. Sounds difficult. Aren't the captions stripped off on the Tivo side of things? I can't ever see captions on my TV, no matter how I set up the CC to display. I can only get captions by using tivovbi.

Maybe you could use a TV capture card while running TivoVbi on the Tivo. That would be easy enough.

FredThompson
12-27-2003, 02:11 PM
DVD support 2 types of closed caption. There's text encoded into the stream and bitmaps. I'm wondering if a black ractangel bitmap could be created and the DVD instructions overlay it on the burned video. If so, with CC enabled, the black would blot out the scrolling text but there wouldn't need to be any re-encoding.

rd001
12-27-2003, 09:25 PM
DVD support 2 types of closed caption. There's text encoded into the stream and bitmaps. I'm wondering if a black ractangel bitmap could be created and the DVD instructions overlay it on the burned video. If so, with CC enabled, the black would blot out the scrolling text but there wouldn't need to be any re-encoding.
You could make a simple mod to tivovbi code to generate the text-based type of closed captions. DvdMaestro's Help file shows this is the format for the text files, called the .stl format. Scenarist and others use the same format too.

You can script an .stl-format subtitles file using any word processing or text editing program — just remember to save files in a "text only" format. (This applies even if you’re incorporating graphic-based subtitles, as described later.) By convention, the extension "..stl" is used, but the script file will work no matter what extension is used.
The basic format of entry for Spruce .stl format is very simple, consisting of:

Start time (hrs:min:sec:frm) , End time , (text content)

Note that start time, end time, and content are separated by commas (","). A fragment of a working script file is shown below.

//Example of a basic STL format subtitle script
01:00:03:24 , 01:00:06:29 , DVD is a powerhouse medium.
01:00:10:07 , 01:00:12:21 , Spruce Technologies puts you in the pictureTivovbi can extract all this info from the stream. Normally, it just outputs it when you start the closed captioning but the code could easily be modified to do it on every line of text, thereby creating an .stl file for use with DVD editors. Setting up tivovbi with the -t (text) and -x (XDS) output might get the results you're after. I could test it if you're interested. I just can't recall its exact output at the moment.

You might find it difficult to try to do the single-line scroller to replace the ones on FNC or CNN. Single-line scrolling is hard to read. Probably using the normal CC capabilities on most TVs is a more useful choice. I don't know about CNN but FNC had rather poor quality transcribing the last time I checked into it. Lots of mistakes in the text, some skips, poor text-to-video sync, etc. I thought it was second-rate, compared to some other CC stuff I've seen, like in movies or in television series. Maybe I just expect too much from realtime transcription. Maybe for their regular programming (like O'Reilly or Hannity), they'd have better results.

FredThompson
12-27-2003, 10:21 PM
I remember the last time we were looking into this it kind of died. The idea was to pull the CC data from line 21 to feed to tytool's DVD creation.

That's different than what I'm looking to do. I want to blot out the scrolling junk. Things like War Stories don't really need all that crud of (what will be) old news.

rd001
12-28-2003, 09:15 AM
Maestro can blot out that scrolling text line easily. This is a separate issue from inserting your own subtitles.

Just make a .bmp bitmap that has a black rectangle where desired and white everywhere else (just an example, you could use other colors instead). Then add a subtitle track in Maestro. Select the Forced Display option and a Bitmap File and browse to and select your subtitle bitmap. Set the Start and Stop at the upper-right to the size of the entire video track. Then go to the second tab (Colors) and use the Color Map 2 and Color Map 4 (by default these are the black and white colors in your bitmap) and use these slider controls to make your blot-out box appear over the video.

Voila. You have blotted out the scroller.

Save your project and compile. Works fine for me here, including the Fade-in/Fade-out options.

The only problem I'm having is that the subtitle I'm creating only covers the left 75% of the area specified. I can't get the subtitle to cover the entire area, no matter how I mess with it (tried bitmaps that were 480x480, 720x480, and 960x480). Same results.

So I'm not really succeeding the way I'd like. I'm using the patched version of Maestro which eliminates the use of DvdPatcher to import the video. But I don't think that is the problem.

Do you know how to get the subtitle to cover the full width of the screen?

I wonder if the older Spruce product handled this better.

FredThompson
12-31-2003, 01:42 AM
I just realized I've had more than enough free how-to stuff to do subtitles for a long time. I need to play around a little bit to see if they can blot out the scrolling bottom stuff like I want. However, it just might be possible to do this for tytool output as a post-process using IfoEdit. If all the pieces come together, I'll explain how to do it.

FredThompson
01-01-2004, 02:47 PM
OK, I've got this all figured out. I'll try to put together a proper how-to sometime during the next week. It's also possible to make subtitles from the line 21 closed caption data. When (if) tytool supports dumping this info to a formatted text file, I'll put together a how-to. Given this data exists in the created VOB or MPEG files, it might be possible to extract it during post-processing of those files. However, I haven't yet found enough info on how to decode.

fyang
08-05-2004, 05:06 PM
OK, I've got this all figured out. I'll try to put together a proper how-to sometime during the next week. It's also possible to make subtitles from the line 21 closed caption data.

Adding Subtitles to tyStream DVD
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36740