PDA

View Full Version : Turbonet Issues - Any assistance appreciated

Kidd Supreme
12-23-2003, 11:15 AM
Hello, I'm in need of some serious help, and I'm hoping you can help me. My problem is kind of similar to another person on this board. I found the URL at http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=24920&highlight=tystudio+AND+turbonet+AND+DHCP .

I don't know if anyone can help me with the problem I'm having, but its very similar to this one. I've been asking people over at Tivocommunity.com, but haven't had much luck. For background on what is exactly happening, go to http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=148854 .

Basically, I have a brand new Linksys router, a Tivo that I recently upgraded with the Turbonet and a problem. For some reason the Tivo isn't pulling an IP address via DHCP. It was working prior to my resetting of my Tivo. This is what happened step by step.

1.)Upgraded the Tivo with new hard drives
2.)Added Turbonet card and installed via nic_install cd.
3.)Verified everything was working by ping, telnet, & ftp.
4.)Went and installed Tystudio. Utilized FTP to get the files over via binary mode. Followed instructions exactly as they were written.
5.)Tested Tystudio by extacting a stream from the Tivo. It worked beautifully.
6.)Went to sleep.
7.)Woke up, noticed that the Tivo wasn't responding, so I unplugged, waited 30 seconds, and plugged back in.
8.)Everything appears to be working just fine, except the Turbonet card.

I've tried a different router, cabling, etc. I'm not sure if the TyStudio is affecting the Turbonet card from pulling down an IP address or not.

I'm real desperate to get this thing working. Can any of you people out there help me?

eastwind
12-25-2003, 11:01 PM
Have you tried rebooting the router? I know there is a separate hardware reset on my D-Link besides power up/power down. Might not be feasible (sp?) if it would dirupt the whole network though.

What about pinging the TiVo by brute force? Like ping 192.168.0.101....ping 192.168.0.102...ping 192.168.0.103. I doubt this would help if you have checked the logs and it isn't receiving an address from the router.

Check /etc/rc.d/rc.arch. I seem to recall some people are setting static addresses in that file instead of using DHCP (to keep the tivo address from changing). Might be something inadvertently (sp?) got added into that file without you knowing it?

ew

Kidd Supreme
12-25-2003, 11:09 PM
As far as your first two suggestions, yes I have tried rebooting the router, and yes I've tried pinging the Tivo by brute force. Neither have been too sucessful.

How would I go about checking /etc/rc.d/rc.arch? Do I need to connect the A Drive to a Linux machine? If so, are the settings in there self explanatory? Thanks in advance.

AVD
12-27-2003, 04:08 AM
you said you re did the cables. did you check the cable that connects into the turbonet card?

can you assign a static ip to the tivo as a test (as a last resort, pull the drives)

good luck

captain_video
12-27-2003, 10:04 AM
Check all of your cable connections. Check to see if the green light on the Turbonet is lit when connected. Try different cables and different ports on your router. Use a known good cable between the router and the Tivo. If you still have problems it could be a bad Turbonet adapter. If you've had it for more than 30 days then you can exchange it for a new one from 9th Tee for $30. Contact Mark McCorkle at 9th Tee for info on making the exchange.

AVD
12-28-2003, 04:10 PM
when I first set up my TiVo I had the same problem.

I bought some CAT5 and pulled it about 30-40 ft to the Tivo. Well it did DHCP one then it stopped. I plugged in my Laptop, and the same problem.

I put a tester on both ends, and all the lights lit up at the right time and in the right sequence.

The person I borrowed the crimpers an tester from told me, It didnt matter what wires I put in the plug as long as as long as the colors were the same on both ends of the plug.

He was wrong. You can get away with it on short cable runs.

But there is a standard 568B (I think) Only 2 pairs are needed for 100MBs connections, but the pairs are crossed.

Try running your cables again with this wireing scheme:

http://www.elrcastor.com/rj45.html

NOTE: Both ends of the cable should look like the diagram on the left. You are NOT building a crossover cable.

BubbleLamp
12-28-2003, 04:58 PM
The person I borrowed the crimpers an tester from told me, It didnt matter what wires I put in the plug as long as as long as the colors were the same on both ends of the plug.

He must have been an electrician. :D