PDA

View Full Version : Series 2 and 7200 RPM Drives?

LazLong
12-25-2003, 05:42 PM
I've got a brand new TCD24004A Series 2 that I attempted to put two WD 120GB 7200 RPM drives into. It booted once fine, then I got a "shutdown due to over temp" BSOD during the second boot. Third, fourth were fine. Now it seems to do it all of the time. This is all with the cover off, both with drives mounted and not (i.e. hanging outside the case). I tried sticking the two drives into the second TCD24004A I bought, and it hangs at the "powering up" screen.

I've had two 7200 RPM 120's in two Series 1's for about two years w/o any problems. Before that it was two IBM 7200 RPM 75GXP's w/o power problems (but one drive failed and I decided to remove the cursed pixiedust drives).

So, can the power supplies in the Series 2's not handle 7200RPM drives?

keith721
12-26-2003, 02:22 PM
Single 7200 RPM WD1200JBRTL (8 MB cache) in my Phillips DSR7000/17 Series 2, and it works fine. Using a pair of hungry 7200 RPM drives might require a delay circuit to prevent excessive load on startup. I believe that WeakKnees and PTVupgrade both sell such a circuit.

GREEK
12-26-2003, 07:24 PM
The best way to run dual drives in a tivo is to never use the same brand drives in the same unit. Usually, different brands have enough of a startup delay to help a little with the drag on the supply. The device from weakness goes ONLY on the slave drive, not the A drive. I would run the tivo cover off with the drive rack out and folded over the front, still attached. Your tivo should run less than 40c this way, most at 35c even. If its higher than that with drives out, something else is up..........

LazLong
12-26-2003, 08:10 PM
The best way to run dual drives in a tivo is to never use the same brand drives in the same unit. Usually, different brands have enough of a startup delay to help a little with the drag on the supply. The device from weakness goes ONLY on the slave drive, not the A drive. I would run the tivo cover off with the drive rack out and folded over the front, still attached. Your tivo should run less than 40c this way, most at 35c even. If its higher than that with drives out, something else is up..........

I'm having this problem with the drives dismounted, hanging outside the case, and with the cover off.

Another thing that REALLY sucks is that TiVo uses a ATA/33 connector instead of ATA/66/100/133. The cursed extra pin....The cable in the S2 appears to be an 80-conductor cable. Will the S2 function correctly with an ATA/33 cable? Or must I drill out an ATA/100 cable?

captain_video
12-26-2003, 08:44 PM
You shouldn't be running a S2 DTivo with the cover off. The fan is positioned to draw air across the power supply and hard drive but the cover needs to be in place for proper funneling of the cooling air. If you leave the cover off the rest of the components on the mainboard may be overheating due to insufficient air flow. Let the Tivo cool off and then reinstall the cover before powering it up again and see what happens. Make sure the fan is plugged in as it can be disconnected quite easily.

GREEK
12-26-2003, 09:52 PM
Doesnt sound good at all. (dtivos) In a ser1, the hottest thing is a drive, then the tuner modules, the only other is the power supply. In a ser2, its the drive and the supply. Now I reread your post, and your talking ser2 standalone. It is definitely not wise to run without the cover off, but OK for testing purposes. Let it cool down for a long while, and try again. I am figuring you did this, and same problem arises. There is no reason for that kind of heat immediately, especially for a bsod. Possibly a component short, one that is heat related, will cause enough resistance to generate lots of heat, and maybe a furning smell, but carry enough juice to function the line/components correctly, or enough to be sporadic at the least. Did you have any problems with this prior to this? Or did this start at the install of the drives? Try putting the stock one back in and test if possible, you need to create some type of control group if you can.........

AVD
12-28-2003, 04:27 PM
is your fan working?

LazLong
12-28-2003, 07:07 PM
Yes, it's working.

I have tried with both the cover off, drives hanging out, and cover on drives installed. Still get over-temp BSOD.

Thanx for you input guys. I'm going to order the 2 drive kit from Weaknees.com which includes the "PowerTrip," and send back my original kits to 9thTee....

GREEK
12-31-2003, 04:30 AM
The device from weakness goes ONLY on the slave drive, not the A drive........

EDIT: just in case someone reads this ions from now, it should be the other way around. The device goes on the master drive, not the slave..........greek