PDA

View Full Version : TiVo or UTV

zfun
12-27-2003, 03:27 PM
Has anyone posted anything comparing Tivo and UTV? I'm just wondering if there may be a thread out there where someone has compared the pro's and con's of each one of these.

kgibbons
01-13-2004, 08:47 AM
Has anyone posted anything comparing Tivo and UTV? I'm just wondering if there may be a thread out there where someone has compared the pro's and con's of each one of these.

I was a longtime UTV user going back to when they first came out. Bought my first one at Rat Shack for $299 back in the day (kills me that my brother got an open box deal at Circuit City a year later for $80!).

So after I realized that UTV was no longer going to be offered, I decided to look into DirecTiVo, and then I stumbled upon this message board. So I read, and read, and read some more about the side-by-side comparisons people have made to the two units. So I decided to make the plunge, and plunk down some cash for a DirecTiVo unit -- the Sony Sat T60 to be exact.

Got my Sony unit fully modified, with the original drive PLUS an additional 120gb drive installed. Once I got the unit, I tried it out for a few days... and although it did have more features than my old UTV, I just wasn't buying into the TiVo thing. I wanted my UTV back!

Now take this for what it's worth... it could just be because I was a longtime UTV user that I wanted to go back to UTV. Some guys swear by their TiVo systems.. but after using both and seeing the menus and ease of use, I would stick to my UTV anyday :)