PDA

View Full Version : Satellite signal on low number Transponders only

Aldermaniac
12-27-2003, 08:09 PM
I have spent the past couple of months looking around the forum to see if anyone has the same problem that I have and it seems as though I am unique.

I have a Sony Sat T-60 with one new 120 gig seagate hard drive with xtreme 2.5.2 on it and the machine seems to work fine. I had the 28% problem but used the workaround to deal with that. However, the problem comes in that I am only receiving a signal on transponders 11 and lower. That is right, I recieve a signal on all transponders under 11 (with the exception of 4, a spot beam, which I never recieve) so both even and odd transponders are working. I thought it was the aim of my dish so I took the unit to a friend's house and had the same problem there.

What it all boils down to is that I am only able to receive about 1/3rd of the stations. I am ble to use all the tivo functions on those stations but it is really bothering me that I am not able to receive the rest. I have a standard DTV receiver and it gets the high numbered transponders no problem.

To complicate things I bought the unit on ebay (no returns) and I am north of the border so getting the beast repaired is a problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

GREEK
12-28-2003, 12:38 AM
you have low 30 volt line, lots of people have this problem on here, but noone has the same tranponders, that varies with the short of the line. Usually you wont get past first five, so you probably have a couple volts. If you have a voltmeter, you can verify by checking the volts on that line. Grab the schematics off the forum, and take them printed out to a electronics repair shop that is competent. Shouldnt be more than a 15 mintute job max.............

Aldermaniac
12-28-2003, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the info Greek, but it is still a little fuzzy, I am not sure I know what a low volt line is and further, I would not know what to tell someone at an electronics shop what to do about it. A bit more info would be great.

GREEK
12-28-2003, 01:28 AM
theres 5 main voltages in a dtive, 30, 24,12,5, and 3 volts. All have a feed off the supply, and are variously dispersed and "cleaned" by capacitors and adjusted by regs and such. The alps tuner modules in the ser1 dtive run on 30 volts, it is common for that "line" to have a cap go bad and "hold" down the line restricting the voltage and putting strain on the supply. In your case, when the high transponders fall off, the 30 volt line is to blame. Usually between .8 volts and 3 is common for a bad 30 volt line, you probably have a bit more since you have 11 xponders. Basically, you gotta follow the schematics which is the blueprint of the board and its components, and remove each cap one by one til the line is freed. Thats the bad part, replace that one and put the rest back. Theres simpler ways to do this if you know tivos, but thats a novel, this is the noob way and takes forever.......