PDA

View Full Version : Slow booting PC with utv drive

Alan991
12-28-2003, 10:48 PM
Kudos to all the informative posts. I installed a 120GB and have the UTV preview mode problem. When I boot the computer with the hot swap method it takes forever to load WinXP and Winhex won't read the UTV. Even Disk Management can't see it. So I guess I am doing something wrong. I turn on the PC and wait in the BIOS settings. Then when the UTV drive should be unlocked, I swap the IDE cable and then exit the BIOS. The drive is recognised. Is the answer not to enter and exit the BIOS - does this reset the UTV and relock it.
Hmm

Never thought of that, but I need to quit.

Any help??

Or did I find the answer?

Alan

cyberbob25
12-29-2003, 07:11 PM
You are correct. When you exit your BIOS, it effectively reboots your pc, which in turn, re-locks your drive. You MUST hit pause/break during the boot process, before it scans your IDE channels. If you use a Dell, or other such manufacturer that just displays a splash screen instead of your POST, then you should refer to your manual to find the key that switches to the detailed mode (Dell is F2).

Good luck!

klassic
12-29-2003, 10:51 PM
I don't know if this works on all operating systems but I use Win2K and all I do is hot swap with the computer already booted, go to device manager, click on disk drives, then scan for hardware changes.
Computer looks for plug and play devices and whaaLa.....finds UTV drive.
Away I go.

niceguy_27
12-29-2003, 11:48 PM
I found that if you unplug your sattelite in and take out your card, then do a hot swap with the pause and what not, it will get rid of the slow booting.