PDA

View Full Version : Forum Rules

fixn278
12-29-2003, 04:30 PM
One item I think would be beneficial is a list of forum rules. While those of us that have been here know what topics are off limits, an announcement or rules button at the top of the board may help fend off the influx of "how can I use an HU card" and "it's not stealing, so stop accusing me" posts.

amgqmp1
12-29-2003, 08:31 PM
One item I think would be beneficial is a list of forum rules. While those of us that have been here know what topics are off limits, an announcement or rules button at the top of the board may help fend off the influx of "how can I use an HU card" and "it's not stealing, so stop accusing me" posts.

A forum without rules is never a good thing... ;)

I totally agree. Basic rules of engagement would be a great addition to this forum.

captain_video
12-29-2003, 08:33 PM
I'd like to 2nd that motion. A lot of newbies are under the misconception that DirecTivo hacking also includes hacking DTV, which we all know to be a topic that is off limits here at DDB. Here's a list of basic rules and tips that newbies should learn and live by:

1. Do not discuss the use of an Hu card, 3M's, activation scripts, emulation, or other means by which you can circumvent paying for DTV service. Hu card discussions are permitted only for S1 DTivos as many legitimate DTV subscribers with S1 DTivos have not yet had their cards swapped out for the newer P4 or P5 cards. Hu cards were never included with series 2 DTivos and the only reason for using them with the newer model DTivos is for theft of DTV service, period. These forums are for discussing hacks performed on the Tivo and not the DTV receiver side of the box.

2. Do not provide links to DTV hacking sites or any other websites that discuss illegal activities.

3. Do not post any files that will allow theft of service from either DTV or Tivo.

4. Do not discuss any methods that would allow circumvention of the DVR sewrvice from DTV or the Tivo service from Tivo. The discussion of nophone or fixsub hacks are permissible only for the purposes of using a Tivo without the need for connecting a phone line. This is to prevent unwanted updates from eradicating any and all installed hacks and not to avoid paying for the monthly Tivo/DVR services.

5. Do not flame other members and try to keep discussions on topic. Do not use profanity in your posts as it impresses no one and only makes you look like an illiterate fool. All members are entitled to their opinions so try and keep any posts relative to the discussion on hand.

6. Do not post the same topic in multiple forums. Find the forum most appropriate to your question and post it once and only once.

7. Run a search for your question before you post it. Chances are someone has already posted the same question and the answer is already available to you.

8. Read through the sticky threads for background info. There are links to other sites that can help you find the answers you seek if you can't find them here.

9. Try to avoid sending PMs directly to other members without searching for the answers yourself first. You'll stand a better chance of getting the answer to a question if you post it in the forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here so let them try and help you. If it's a newbie question then please post it in the newbies section.

10. Do not post questions begging for help. If you have a problem with your Tivo, post it as a question and help will be forthcoming. Most of all, be patient. If no one answers it right away it could be because it's been asked a hundred times before and you didn't bother performing a search for the answer. Another reason may be that no one has run into the problem you're experiencing and there is nothing that can be said about it.

11. Post as much info about your problem as you can. State the make and model of your Tivo as well as the OS version and any hacks you have installed.

12. Do not post spam in the forums. Items or services for sale should be posted in the for sale section only. Do not list any illegal items for sale.

13. Do not get upset when David Bought flames you for being a newbie and declares your thread closed. He's only the janitor and has no power over anything other than a plunger. The best course of action is to ignore him and he will eventually go away.

SR712
12-29-2003, 08:57 PM
13. Do not get upset when David Bought flames you for being a newbie and declares your thread closed. He's only the janitor and has no power over anything other than a plunger. The best course of action is to ignore him and he will eventually go away.

HaHa...LOL!!! :D Maybe this should be moved up to #1. hehe. :rolleyes:

fixn278
12-29-2003, 09:50 PM
Actually, I was thinking mods and admins should create the rules list. This way, personal feelings are left out and the list is taken seriously.

JJBliss
12-29-2003, 10:11 PM
It's actually not a bad idea.

Much (though not all) of captain_video's suggestions are a good starting point, though "fixn278 is right", it is a list that should be officially published that states the opinions, wishes and desires of the forum ownership. (which is currently limited to ONE person, with some help and support from a handful of volunteers)

I'm sure that the moderators of the Tivo portions of the site can develop something that will serve the purposes that you are recommending and submit them to Vadim for approval.

Once this is done, vBulletin allows for Announcement threads that can be cross posted on all the appropriate forums.

captain_video
12-30-2003, 10:51 AM
I hope no one was thinking that I was actually trying to set the rules for the forum. My post was only meant to be a suggestion or at least a starting point for developing a set of rules. It's Vadim's call as to what rules should be set forth, as JJ indicated. There are members here that seem to think they can set forth their own rules so I totally agree with JJ's and fixn278's assessment.

amgqmp1
12-30-2003, 03:53 PM
Hey, I think it's awesome that Captain_Video took the time to write up some suggested rules. They're accurate and seem to fit the atmosphere here.

They do need official endorsement by the powers that be here, but, I nominate Captain_Video's list for ratification. :) (Hey wait, this isn't a democracy...)

Rule 13 is good, but, I think anyone (newbie or not) should be entitled to be upset by the janitor. He is the very definition of "forum troll".

I would like to add a rule to make it verboten for people to IM me asking for images. So lame... :rolleyes:

fixn278
12-30-2003, 04:04 PM
Rule 13 is good, but, I think anyone (newbie or not) should be entitled to be upset by the janitor. He is the very definition of "forum troll".

So exactly how is your comment any better than the type of bashing you seem to take issue with?

This thread had nothing to do with David Bought, but so far two members managed to throw jabs in.

By all means, make sure you keep poking at him, that will definitely make him leave you alone.

amgqmp1
12-30-2003, 07:11 PM
So exactly how is your comment any better than the type of bashing you seem to take issue with?

This thread had nothing to do with David Bought, but so far two members managed to throw jabs in.

You make a good point. Rule #13 should be "No verbal assaults on other users. Tolerance of the not yet educated is expected of all forum participants."

Hey, even though 99.9% of us around here seem to get along like proper adults, we don't want to single anyone out...especially those with behavioral issues.

Oh, and my bashing is TOTALLY different. I don't verbally assault people for being "newbies", I'm merely making jest of someone who gets off on being a bully. That is *exactly* how my comment is "any better". I agree it's still a bit crass and it's obviously offending you...so...I'll be happy to oblidge your unspoken request and end this topic here and now. :D

fixn278
12-30-2003, 07:34 PM
You make a good point. Rule #13 should be "No verbal assaults on other users. Tolerance of the not yet educated is expected of all forum participants."

Hey, even though 99.9% of us around here seem to get along like proper adults, we don't want to single anyone out...especially those with behavioral issues.

Oh, and my bashing is TOTALLY different. I don't verbally assault people for being "newbies", I'm merely making jest of someone who gets off on being a bully. That is *exactly* how my comment is "any better". I agree it's still a bit crass and it's obviously offending you...so...I'll be happy to oblidge your unspoken request and end this topic here and now. :D

I'm not even slightly offended. I just find it amusing that people seem to have issues with "unprovoked attacks" but a perfectly innocent thread where I asked the powers that be to set up a rules list turned into a "lets make fun of someone" thread even though they hadn't said a word. I think everyone that complains about other people bashing should reread all of their posts and be sure they aren't the pot calling the kettle black.

And maybe even keep personal issues out of my thread...

amgqmp1
12-30-2003, 11:59 PM
Why do you keep replying? End of subject. Back to the discussion of rules suggestions, eh?

captain_video
12-31-2003, 09:40 AM
Lighten up guys. "Rule 13" was included as a jest and nothing more.