PDA

View Full Version : bitrates and resulution

darwin-t
12-30-2003, 10:03 AM
I have an HDR 212. I've been playing with extraction - chaging bitrates, etc to get SVCD compliant files. All seemed well until I turned off the disk saving feature on my TiVo.

I set quality to 100 on all quality settings, bitrates of 210000,20000,19000, and 180000 for Best,High,Medium and Basic. I'm setting VBRBitate and MAXBitrate the same on each quality.Then I recorded four 1/2 hour shows - one in each quality - all files were the same size. Then I tried using the same bitrate for each quality, repeated the experiment. Same thing - all 4 qualities' files were the same size.

I change one value at a time in TiVoWeb and hit Enter each time. I do the "update Resources" and reboot the TiVo and then set up the recordings.

BTW - before I turned of the space saver I was using 223000 in bast and getting just over 48 minutes on a cd.

I'm sure I can get the bitrate right, but wonder why the files for different qualities are the same.

What am I missing here?

sanderton
12-30-2003, 10:29 AM
I set quality to 100 on all quality settings

The "Quality setting" is the numeric representation of the recording quality used in is formulae and database. Ie, 100 just represents Best, its' not 100 "quality units". You've effectively told TiVo thet you have four Bests - who knows which one it uses when you select "Best" from a menu.

darwin-t
12-30-2003, 10:56 AM
The "Quality setting" is the numeric representation of the recording quality used in is formulae and database. Ie, 100 just represents Best, its' not 100 "quality units". You've effectively told TiVo thet you have four Bests - who knows which one it uses when you select "Best" from a menu.

I used the same bitrate for all 4 qualities in one experiment and used 100,90,80 and 75 for the Quality - and all files still came out the same size.

So should I set Qualities to the original settings - 100,75,40 and 0? And then set the bitrates for what I want for each quality?

Thanks

sanderton
12-30-2003, 10:58 AM
I used the same bitrate for all 4 qualities in one experiment and used 100,90,80 and 75 for the Quality - and all files still came out the same size.

So should I set Qualities to the original settings - 100,75,40 and 0? And then set the bitrates for what I want for each quality?

Thanks

Yup.

100 means Best in the TiVo db
75 means High
40 means Medium
0 means Basic

Any other numbers will likely as not switch to the default setting.