PDA

View Full Version : Frozen T60 - Help!

cygnus
12-31-2003, 08:27 PM
Problem with my SAT-T60-

It will not 'turn on' when powered up. The green light comes on, the HD cooling fan spins, but the HD will not spin.

When started up with the IDE and HD power pulled, the green light comes on - then I plug in the HD Power ONLY, and the drive seems to spin fine. Once IDE is plugged in, the HD will no longer spin when powered up.

I believe something in the T60 is faulting not allowing the drive to spin or any setup screens to show. I do not get any screen at all. Moreover, the VHF/UHF pass-though continues uninterrupted - no glitching on the screen at all from the T60.

Again, when powered up, all I get is the green power light. No screens, no HD action. The thing has been working perfectly until this morning.

Any ideas???

GREEK
12-31-2003, 09:44 PM
sounds like its fried. reseat the parlex ribbon and check every other possible connection, dont be scared to get in there.........

cygnus
01-01-2004, 02:44 PM
sounds like its fried. reseat the parlex ribbon and check every other possible connection, dont be scared to get in there.........

These 'mini' triumphs is what makes it all worth it, I guess...

Even though my problem seemes a bit unique (no welcome screen, no screens at all for that matter), I thought I should try the ribbon reseat anyway. Well, I ' got it there'... I did reseat the white ribbon, and it God D... works.

Why in the hell does this happen? My unit never was under any undue stress or received and physical hits, drops, etc. Is this simply a power/software issue that is reset with reseating the ribbon??

Either way, thanks all who have been though this and have given the now so common advice!

GREEK
01-04-2004, 07:38 PM
heat epansion issue on the holding clasp, its a realy shi*** design to say the least. I soldered custom connects in all of mine to avoid this, its the FIRST thing you check on a bad unit.........

dangerbob
01-11-2004, 08:08 PM
I haven't used my TIVO in months because I was convinced it had a bad mother board and I couldn't justify the cost of fixing it. After reading this thread I thought "why not disconnect and reconnect everything? Just for grins", I KNEW it would not work. So guess what? Fired right up! I'm back in TIVO heaven! Thanks to the good folks in this forum for helping me pull my myopic head out. Thanks Greek and Cygnus, you saved me a bundle!

GREEK
01-11-2004, 08:37 PM
First thing you should always do, especially the parlex ribbon and IDE ribbon.......