PDA

View Full Version : how come my tivo has a cd skpping effect type of glitch?

zodiacal
12-31-2003, 10:03 PM
every few mintues of playing my tivo shows on my tivo it skips like a cd skipping. it pauses for a half second. its getting really annoying. could it have to do with the network card and tivo web and some other hacking programs i have installed? i have also installed a second 80GB maxtor hdd. how can i tell what is causing this?

Raymond Day
01-01-2004, 08:34 PM
I see this on are 1st TiVo we got. It will happend about every 5 month. To fix it I uplug the power to it for about 10 sec. and plug it back in. This one has a nic card in it to dail over Ethernet. It is mostly used to record and then delete so that there are no shows on it. It only records 1 or 2 shows a day and plays them and gets deleted.

If we are talking about the same thing it's a loud fast sqeak. The video will mess up some too. About every 2 to 3 sec. some times waits a minute to do it. Hard to play it so just delete the show and power down and back up fixs it. But not the recoded shows but new recorded shows.

Hi8
01-01-2004, 08:37 PM
every few mintues of playing my tivo shows on my tivo it skips like a cd skipping. it pauses for a half second. its getting really annoying. could it have to do with the network card and tivo web and some other hacking programs i have installed? i have also installed a second 80GB maxtor hdd. how can i tell what is causing this?

sounds like your HDD is dying.. sorry to say.

zodiacal
01-02-2004, 12:05 AM
can i run the maxtor diagnostic disk to detect hdd errors and fix them with out it messing up my tivo operating system? that would fix my added hdd. but what brand/model does the tivo sa1 112 come with as a stock hdd? how can i get the diagnostic tools for that drive? also it doesn't seem to be a recording error because when i rewind the part that glitchs it will play fine. also the remote and tivo web both lockup about every 3 days. to fix the lockup i have to telnet in and type reboot.

Hi8
01-02-2004, 09:22 AM
can i run the maxtor diagnostic disk to detect hdd errors and fix them with out it messing up my tivo operating system? that would fix my added hdd. but what brand/model does the tivo sa1 112 come with as a stock hdd? how can i get the diagnostic tools for that drive? also it doesn't seem to be a recording error because when i rewind the part that glitchs it will play fine. also the remote and tivo web both lockup about every 3 days. to fix the lockup i have to telnet in and type reboot.

not sure on using HD tools to fix it, when mine started acting that way, I quickly bought and built a 120gig replacement from scratch. Made sure that the original didn't really have much on it that I cared about, I extracted the shows that were import to me for later insertion on the NEW drive, if need be.

when it comes to HDDs I never spend much time trying to fix, if it's failing, it's probably not long before it just won't boot. I just ordered a new 120gig drive from Tiger Direct:

Seagate 120GB / 7200 / 8MB / 9.3 / ATA-100 EIDE Hard Drive (THD-1200A2 P) 1 $ 104.99

not a bad deal, and it should be VERY quite, it has a fluid bearing motor. For the price, It's a no brainer.

martin18152
01-08-2004, 04:53 PM
If you have a maxtor, you may be in luck. I lost two drives with your symptoms. One drive showed a maxtor code failure, the other not. Sent the failed on in, got a new on on the 3 year warranty. The other drive, tried everything, repairs, tests, full reformats , nothing worked, ended up using it as a data drive, works great in that capacity.