PDA

View Full Version : problem with bash

jester44
01-02-2004, 10:33 PM
I have been going step by step using cobelli's guide on a dsr7000 I am unable to get bash to work with serial to 1/8th and hyperterm. Is there a way for me to check that 3.1U5 kernel was succesfully copied to tivo drive? Any other troubleshooting suggestions would be appreciated.

Sleeper
01-03-2004, 04:23 AM
The u5 hack is ancient history. Try reading up on monte. Also test your serial cable/terminal program.

jester44
01-05-2004, 12:57 AM
The u5 hack is ancient history. Try reading up on monte. Also test your serial cable/terminal program.
I redid my setup using sleeper iso now I am getting this message:
Boot failed reason=60
Ram size=64
Service number is 1010000c02A6632.
What is password?

Any ideas on what I did wrong? :

Sleeper
01-05-2004, 01:20 AM
Is the access card plugged into your receiver?

Also, there is a "How to report a problem" post on page 1, post 9, of the scripts thread about how to report a problem. Please answer all the questions.

S.

jester44
01-05-2004, 02:20 AM
Is the access card plugged into your receiver?

Also, there is a "How to report a problem" post on page 1, post 9, of the scripts thread about how to report a problem. Please answer all the questions.

S.

I have not yet added this receiver to my dss subscription. I had a card from one of my other subscribed receivers in it when I first tested. I was hoping to complete hacks prior to requesting access card and subscribing this unit.(in case I ruin unit). Without the card in the receiver I dont get the boot error only request for password.

I will report problem and submit information requested. Should I post it on the script thread ?

Sleeper
01-05-2004, 02:33 AM
I have not yet added this receiver to my dss subscription. I had a card from one of my other subscribed receivers in it when I first tested. I was hoping to complete hacks prior to requesting access card and subscribing this unit.(in case I ruin unit). Without the card in the receiver I dont get the boot error only request for password.

I will report problem and submit information requested. Should I post it on the script thread ?

Yes, post in the scripts thread. Several others have had this problem and they all seemed to have cured it. I believe that the error occurs because the prom code cannot load/read the kernel. Did you by chance run the "Surgery" phase twice, causing the bootpage to get out of sync? Post in the scripts thread. My advice without knowoing all the facts is to run scripts again, skip backup. Do restore, surgery. Test drive after each. report results. Talk to you tomorow.

S.

erjent
01-05-2004, 06:05 PM
Sleeper, Are you saying that the JonnyDeath .iso and all the instructions are no good anymore? Monty is the only way now?

Sleeper
01-05-2004, 06:16 PM
Sleeper, Are you saying that the JonnyDeath .iso and all the instructions are no good anymore?

The is nothing wrong with the ISO and I haven't read those instructions so I can not comment on them.

Monty is the only way now?

No. Prom mod is a better way to go in my opinion but most aren't equipped for that. So yes, monte has been the second best way to go for a while now.

erjent
01-05-2004, 06:21 PM
I'm looking through the forums now for a Monty step by step. This seems a bit complicated for a newb like me.

geminicat
01-06-2004, 05:55 PM
Erjent

Use Sleepers ISO and even a newbie like me can get it done.

mrblack51
01-06-2004, 06:09 PM
Sleeper, Are you saying that the JonnyDeath .iso and all the instructions are no good anymore? Monty is the only way now?

yes, you can use the old bash_env method, which still works. however, due to some limitations on the setup (can't put files on the root partition without them being removed, environment variables not properly set), the method is not the most desirable way to do it. in addition, you are limited to the single version of the software.

monte overcomes all of those problems, and is therefore superior in all areas. the prom mod is best, but monte is the best software only hack solution. sleepers iso makes it pretty easy, though you should learn whats going on, cause you will be screwed later if you dont.

erjent
01-06-2004, 07:53 PM
I will still have to locate a 3.1.U5 image correct? Where is a good site to find one. I don't want to be a begger. Are they posted around?

jester44
01-06-2004, 08:36 PM
Yes, post in the scripts thread. Several others have had this problem and they all seemed to have cured it. I believe that the error occurs because the prom code cannot load/read the kernel. Did you by chance run the "Surgery" phase twice, causing the bootpage to get out of sync? Post in the scripts thread. My advice without knowoing all the facts is to run scripts again, skip backup. Do restore, surgery. Test drive after each. report results. Talk to you tomorow.

S.
I tried restore, surgery ; no luck. I read some post that talked about a bad hardrive so I tested hardrive it passed did low level format and started from scratch still having the same Boot failed error.

mrblack51
01-06-2004, 08:57 PM
I will still have to locate a 3.1.U5 image correct? Where is a good site to find one. I don't want to be a begger. Are they posted around?

nope, no need to find a 3.1.u5 image. just use sleepers image

olscool
01-08-2004, 08:34 PM
yes, you can use the old bash_env method, which still works. however, due to some limitations on the setup (can't put files on the root partition without them being removed, environment variables not properly set), the method is not the most desirable way to do it. in addition, you are limited to the single version of the software.

monte overcomes all of those problems, and is therefore superior in all areas. the prom mod is best, but monte is the best software only hack solution. sleepers iso makes it pretty easy, though you should learn whats going on, cause you will be screwed later if you dont.

I've been using the bash_env method on my hdvr2 for the last few months, with no problems. Is there any reason to change it?

midnightmaraude
02-07-2004, 12:51 AM
I restored a 4.0 image .bak by hitting Alt F2 at sleepers Boot command prompt and entering the appropriate restore commands. It restored beautifully, I chose S for stand alone drivers and followed the rest of the process with success, surgoery and final install. The OS loaded up fine and I then did hte Clear and Delete All. Afterwards, I was able to get bash with no problem in order to add all the necessary hacks ;) I then restarted tivo and it came up just fine. All the hacks work great. However, now I cannot get bash to save my life. I try bashing right as tivo boots up and I get something about what is password: and the tivo never gets past welcome powering up. I unplug the tivo and don't try to bash in and it boots up fine to live tv. I then try to get bash and I get NOTHING. This is driving me insane..does anyone have any ideas. I have a couple friends who are running the same exact setup as me and they said htey had to restart tivo 3 or 4 times in order to get bash but this just isn't working for me. TIA