PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Remote not working

mbenz
01-04-2004, 11:42 AM
HELP PLEASE!!!

I just tried updating my Hughes HDVR2 from V3.1 to the S2-40-4-0.bak image I downloaded and ever since my remote control doesn't work. I have since reinstalled the original image but the remote still doesn't work ):
I've tried my universal remote that was working fine and that doesn't work either so I'm sure it's something in the HDVR2 box. I reseated the ribbon cable that connects the Ir sensor to the motherboard and actually rang out the connection from the Ir sensor to the motherboard and it is OK.
Any ideas??? I'm desperate!

Thanks!

Sleeper
01-04-2004, 12:18 PM
If the buttons on the front panel don't work as well, then you probably cooked the front panel.

mbenz
01-04-2004, 12:45 PM
If the buttons on the front panel don't work as well, then you probably cooked the front panel.

Thanks for the response.

The buttons work fine, only the remote is not working.
I've since read in other posts that many systems have fried the front panel remote because the ribbon cable was not seated properly. This may have happened to me too ):

If it is fried does anyone know how to fix it? Is it just the Ir sensor? If so, where can I get another one? Are they fairly universal? Can I pull one out of an old cable box and solder it in?

I hate to scrap a perfectly good Tivo box because of an Ir sensor.

THanks.

Tiros
01-04-2004, 01:43 PM
From what I have read there is a small inductor that burns out (becomes open). Many people just jumper it out with a piece of wire.

mbenz
01-04-2004, 04:10 PM
From what I have read there is a small inductor that burns out (becomes open). Many people just jumper it out with a piece of wire.

Thanks for the info.
The following post explains the problem and solution.

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?postid=1492583#post1492583

I was able to jumper this (L30) and the remote is working again!