PDA

View Full Version : hardrive dead?

loserbaby
01-06-2004, 03:43 AM
I have a new/used hdvr2 that when I plug in I get the welcome. powering up... screen and thats it, remote or buttons on face won't work and I am not even able to turn it off. It was mentioned at another site that my drive may be dead, I don't hear any noise like it's working... I checked the white ribbon cable for damage and loose connections and it seems OK. Does anybody have any other suggestions, I have another drive comming with an image already loaded on it. I hope it is only the drive.....I just bought this POS

Thanks

captain_video
01-09-2004, 09:50 AM
If you're getting the Welcome screen then the Tivo is getting power. Check the power and IDE cables connected between the mainboard and the hard drive. You might also want to run a diagnostic on the hard drive but it will probably wipe out your OS installation on the drive. If the drive is bad you should be able to get a replacement under warranty. Just don't tell the manufacturer's CSR that it came from a Tivo and you should get a replacement if the warranty period is still in effect.

GREEK
01-10-2004, 09:17 PM
where did this come from. If you bought it from a store return it. I assume you bought it off of ebay, you should contact the seller. Do as captain says, reseat EVERY connection, and then try rebooting. You can scan the drive with an advance scan and not ruin the image, just dont lowlevel it. You could always image that drive if its good and see what happens, you may have ordered another drive for nothing or for a dead unit...........

loserbaby
01-13-2004, 01:26 AM
This POS came from dealtree, off ebay. After trying to return it the first time they sent me a whole undisclosed set of shipping rules , like I pay comming and going and shit and if they can't find anything wrong, they tested it "good" in the first place, that I had to pay the shipping to get the unit back, or if they credit me a refund I have to pay to return the unit and the orig shipping and BS like that. the orig drive is past warranty from maxtor, I bitched and dealtree said they would send me a working drive from another unit but never sent it, so I'm still fighting with them. the second drive I bought was an 80gb upgrade with the hacks already installed but that still hasn't arrived. I do have power to the drive and so I think, but am not sure if I should risk all the extra shipping to send it back to the *****s at dealtree. Thanks for the help, Greek I believe you have replied to me twice on this.... Wish me luck..........

where did this come from. If you bought it from a store return it. I assume you bought it off of ebay, you should contact the seller. Do as captain says, reseat EVERY connection, and then try rebooting. You can scan the drive with an advance scan and not ruin the image, just dont lowlevel it. You could always image that drive if its good and see what happens, you may have ordered another drive for nothing or for a dead unit...........

GREEK
01-13-2004, 03:46 AM
pull the drive and run powermax on it. who knows where this came from, I have gotten alot of these cheapos on the bay that were bad hack jobs that are fine with a new image. its easy to do if you read and search a little, I wouldnt recommend buying drop in drives, its easy to do yourself and you'll know why the unit misbehaves when it does, otherwise your at everyone else's mercy