PDA

View Full Version : Problems with unlocking/reading Tivo drive

Cray91
01-07-2004, 05:31 AM
Okay here is the rundown...
I am replacing the drive in a RCA DVR40 (Series 2 Directv Tivo) Running Sleeper's MFSTools 2.0 Script.

I can succesfully boot the CD, It recognizes my primary drive, CD-Rom, and mounts them. The trouble is it recognizing the proper size of my Tivo Drive, It sees it but not as a Tivo Drive all the time. Below are the three trials I have done. That is all I can find to try on it.

Trial #1
Originally it screwed up and I used qunlock.
That gave me a size of approx 8.8gigs. It failed when MFSTools was trying to find the root partition. It also said when it tried to back it up that it did not recognize the Tivo drive.

Trial #2
DiskUtils that I found on Tivo Community, the results were comprable to the qunlock's.

Trial #3
Tried booting the Tivo HD in the Tivo and then connecting it to my computer without powering it down. That gave me a different value for the size and MFS was able to get the Partition info, but it failed when it was starting the back-up sequence.

On a side note the Tivo hangs on the "Please wait..Powering up" screen. Don't know if that is of any significance.

Thanks in advance.

Cray91

Sleeper
01-08-2004, 01:07 AM
You should not have to unlock that drive. Since it will not boot in the TIvo it sounds like your drive is hosed. Connect a serial cable and see what error message is coming up if any.

Hopefully you have a backup image. Also, there could be something wrong with your PC. Try another one

Spydertech
01-08-2004, 08:52 PM
What brand is the hard drive?

At this point I would get the Manufacturer's boot disk and test the drive..
Doing a low-level format if needed.

Sounds like what Sleeper said - the drive is hosed...

AVD
01-09-2004, 02:29 AM
You should not have to unlock that drive. Since it will not boot in the TIvo it sounds like your drive is hosed. Connect a serial cable and see what error message is coming up if any.

Hopefully you have a backup image. Also, there could be something wrong with your PC. Try another one

Is that because only S1 TiVos will lock Maxtor(Quantum) harddrives?

GREEK
01-10-2004, 09:12 PM
The LAST thing you ever want to do is use qunlock, especially if your not 100% sure its locked up. This usually locks a drive that is good. 9 out of 10 times the user has a crappy computer or messes up. You need to be real careful making the first backup on ANY machine, and only do so on a computer you know can do it. I would do as sleeper said, low level it and if it doesnt go simply grab another drive and warranty that one, you will have no problems, you could even advance warranty it and get one out now. I dont follow why you used qunlock at all? Hinsdale clearly says you will have 10 Megabytes or less, not gigs of any size. You could have NO drive in there and it will show welcome screen, this comes off the board, not drive, the almost there screen is the first disk addess display......