PDA

View Full Version : Telnet stopped responding

Mobius60
01-07-2004, 08:53 AM
I had the turbonet card installed in my Philips series 1, got the bash prompt, ftp was working, used tytool to extract a program. Next day, couldn't telnet or ftp. I tried a test call and pinging the tivo, and they worked fine. So what happened overnight? Was it an update that screwed everything up and what can I do to fix it? Thanks in advance for any help.

ggibeau
01-07-2004, 03:37 PM
Not sure if this will help or not - but I had the exact same problem last week.

What I did to fix it was to move the call to telnet to the first line of the rc.sysinit.author file (and not at the end of the rc.sysinit file). The rc.sysinit.author file gets called before the tnlited line (if you followed the popular instructions on setting telnet up in the 1st place). However, since the TyTool install makes tserver the last line in the rc.sysinit.author file, and does not append an & at the end of the command line, tserver never returns control for rc.sysinit to finish, thereby tnlited does not get called.

So basically I rem'ed the tnlited line out of my rc.sysinit file (use # for rem statements) and added the tnlited program call as the 1st line to my rc.sysinit.author file (don't forget the & at the end of the tnlited line).

Good luck.

-George-

I had the turbonet card installed in my Philips series 1, got the bash prompt, ftp was working, used tytool to extract a program. Next day, couldn't telnet or ftp. I tried a test call and pinging the tivo, and they worked fine. So what happened overnight? Was it an update that screwed everything up and what can I do to fix it? Thanks in advance for any help.

Mobius60
01-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the info, ggibeau, I'll give that a try.

Mobius60
01-08-2004, 08:25 AM
I tried the suggestion you left yesterday, but I couldn't figure out how to edit rc.sysinit.author while I have the hard drive connected to my computer. I can't telnet, so I can't edit it while it's in the Tivo. Could you give me the procedure you used, or let me know how to find rc.sysinit.author?

ggibeau
01-12-2004, 10:07 PM
Try the instructions on Steve Jenkins site - section 2. Before you create your rc.sysinit.author file, you need to get telnet working by adding it as the last line in your rc.sysinit file in your active partition (4 or 7 - it depends on yoru situation):

tnlited 23 /bin/bash - login &

then when you hook the tivo hard drive back up to the tivo, you can telnet in and create the rc.sysinit.author file. The rc.sysinit.author file does not exist until you create it in the /etc/rc.d directory (you have to worry about setting partitions to read/write and back to read/only etc..)

Good luck.

George

I tried the suggestion you left yesterday, but I couldn't figure out how to edit rc.sysinit.author while I have the hard drive connected to my computer. I can't telnet, so I can't edit it while it's in the Tivo. Could you give me the procedure you used, or let me know how to find rc.sysinit.author?

Mobius60
01-13-2004, 08:24 AM
I checked out rc.sysinit and the telnet line was still there. I remed it out with a #, then edited the rc.sysinit.author on each partition. Fired up the tivo again and it's been working fine ever since.

c_t_jones
02-18-2004, 07:44 AM
Hi there,
just a word of thanks really... as a unix newbie this post saved my bacon - I killed ping, telnet, ftp on my UK SA Tivo with a TurboNet Card in it by messing around with my rc.sysinit (& author) files... pulling the hard disk and following Steve Jenkins How To and your hints on &'s and #'s I managed to get the bueaty back up...

Still can'y get tyTools to work (TyStudio is AOK but TyTools whicih I have installed sepeartly will get now playing but just wont download any video) but thats another problem!

thanks again

Chris

C_Monkey
02-18-2004, 08:02 AM
Hi there,
just a word of thanks really... as a unix newbie this post saved my bacon - I killed ping, telnet, ftp on my UK SA Tivo with a TurboNet Card in it by messing around with my rc.sysinit (& author) files... pulling the hard disk and following Steve Jenkins How To and your hints on &'s and #'s I managed to get the bueaty back up...

Still can'y get tyTools to work (TyStudio is AOK but TyTools whicih I have installed sepeartly will get now playing but just wont download any video) but thats another problem!

thanks again

Chris

have you made sure you have disabled scrambling ?

NutKase
02-18-2004, 08:23 AM
However, since the TyTool install makes tserver the last line in the rc.sysinit.author file, and does not append an & at the end of the command line, tserver never returns control for rc.sysinit to finish, thereby tnlited does not get called.

Good handle on what's going on but a better solution is to simply put the & at the end of your tserver line so the process will background and give control back to rc.sysinit.

I recommend you keep your telnet and bash lines in your rc.sysinit and everything else can go in your rc.sysinit.author, so that when you accidentally forget to chmod rc.sysinit.author on your 15th late-night new hack install, you can telnet in to fix it and not have to pull the drive.

NutKase

c_t_jones
02-18-2004, 08:32 AM
have you made sure you have disabled scrambling ?

To be honest I didn't even know I had too... I am very lazy when it comes to reading instructions... I will have a proper poke around tonight - cheers for the pointer!

best wishes

Chris

sanderton
02-18-2004, 08:39 AM
You don't - no scrambling on UK TiVos.

c_t_jones
02-18-2004, 08:48 AM
You don't - no scrambling on UK TiVos.

Yeah I just had a quick look around on google and discovered that... My misus is going home in a bit and I will get her to turn pc anywhere on and then I can get the correct error message... I am after tytools as while tystudio works fine I can only do 1 programme at a time which is not great as I like to leave it running while I am at work...

My home setup is almost there - I am sharing these extracted files down to a hacked xbox with Xbox Media Centre on it... it works a treat.. would be even better if I didn't have to convert the ty to mpg's but you can't have everything!

cheers for all your help

Chris

sanderton
02-18-2004, 10:35 AM
My home setup is almost there - I am sharing these extracted files down to a hacked xbox with Xbox Media Centre on it... it works a treat.. would be even better if I didn't have to convert the ty to mpg's but you can't have everything!

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=124749&postcount=13

dialanothernumb
02-20-2004, 08:59 AM
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=124749&postcount=13
FYI The link is to XBMP, not xbmc, the newer project. The hunt is on for a way to watch native ty files in xbmc

sanderton
02-20-2004, 12:09 PM
Oh, right. I don't have an XBox.

pmfern
02-29-2004, 12:34 AM
Good handle on what's going on but a better solution is to simply put the & at the end of your tserver line so the process will background and give control back to rc.sysinit.

NutKase

Brilliant! I had the same problem, but I thought it had something to do with the Tivo update.

I could ftp so I tried putting your new author file, but no dice because the filesystem was read-only. I ended up deleting the /var/hack/tserver_mfs7 file with ftp. I re-booted and I had telnet again. :D Thanks.

I reinstalled the server and added the & to my author file. No screwdriver required and I am a happy man.

last lines of my rc.sysinit:

[ ! -f /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author ] || /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author <--no return

echo "rc.sysinit is complete"
tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login & <-- no telnet

jbolter
07-09-2005, 07:33 PM
today i tried to telnet into my tivo and i can't connect. I can ping the tivo, ftp into it, tivoweb is running, but i just can't telnet. nothing has changed on either end that i can think of or see. anyone have any ideas at all how to investigate this one?