PDA

View Full Version : re-running satellite setup: now hanging at "please wait"

Orpheus
01-07-2004, 07:34 PM
I've read a few other experiences with this problem but I couldn't find an answer to it. I've updated my dish to a triple and therefore re-run the guided setup and now hanging at "please wait" after testing transponders. Running a DSR6k with 3.1

Thanks for any help!

O

Orpheus
01-08-2004, 01:07 AM
I've had success installing XplusZ3.10, then BlissTerPopper1.1 and then rebooting. Neither install will do the job alone, but they will together. Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on? An mvchannels reset perhaps??

Searching for clues,

O

jasch
01-10-2004, 10:35 AM
My units allways hang at 28% during the satellite detection phase. I fixed it by disconnecting the input tuner cables during setup...

captain_video
01-10-2004, 10:56 AM
The 28% hangup is an entirely different issue. Try rebooting the DTivo by pulling the plug. It will probably sail through and not make you rerun guided setup the next time around.

grog54321
01-12-2004, 12:27 PM
I'm having this exact same problem but can't get out of it. When I reset it (either by entering reboot from bash or pulling the plug) it just goes right back to the guided setup once it restarts. I also tried selecting oval dish instead but it does the same thing. I have no idea how to get it out of this (short of the drastic step of re-imaging the thing which I really don't want to do).

Any ideas?

jasch
01-12-2004, 12:30 PM
Try what I did. Unplug the SAT RCA cables, and plug them again when it's starts the satellite acquisition procedure. (you should get a couple of errors with the cables unplugged but you can select continue on all of them).

grog54321
01-12-2004, 12:57 PM
I gave that a try but that didn't help. I don't even get to the satellite acquisition phase because I'm stuck in setup.

jasch
01-12-2004, 01:01 PM
You should be able to, you should get an error, but also an option to continue and that you will fix the problem later... The error is given when it's detecting the satellites).

At least, that's how it works for me... (the satellite acquisition phase if part of the setup... it's the last step)

grog54321
01-12-2004, 01:10 PM
Nope, no errors, no nothing. I get to the test signal strength screen which all show no signal of course, then select 'done testing signal strength' and then I get a 'please wait' screen and nothing else happens. It just hangs there indefinitely (I actually left it there for over an hour at one point and it was still stuck there).

jasch
01-12-2004, 01:12 PM
Have you tried with a different zipcode? (I use 00000).

grog54321
01-12-2004, 01:17 PM
Just tried it, no dice. Still hangs in the same spot. Grrrr.....

malfunct
01-12-2004, 01:28 PM
Just tried it, no dice. Still hangs in the same spot. Grrrr.....

Does it hang in that spot if you boot your tivo without any signal cables plugged into the back? It has a timeout that is quite long, a number of minutes, but it should eventually go to an error screen if your cables are both unplugged.

grog54321
01-12-2004, 01:34 PM
Does it hang in that spot if you boot your tivo without any signal cables plugged into the back? It has a timeout that is quite long, a number of minutes, but it should eventually go to an error screen if your cables are both unplugged.
We'll see. I just ran through the setup again with no signal cables plugged in from the beginning so I'll leave it for an hour and see what happens.

grog54321
01-12-2004, 01:59 PM
Well, I got tired of waiting and rebooted again after half an hour. I figured if it was going to error out it wouldn't have taken longer than that. This is getting really frustrating. Is there a file or setting somewhere that tells it that guided setup has completed? The settings are there because it remembers them every time so I just need a way to get this thing to stop forcing me back into guided setup.

grog54321
01-12-2004, 03:02 PM
Phew, I finally managed to fix it! I figured one of my hacks might be the culprit so I started undoing them one by one. I'm running a modified boot299.btl so I restored the original and rebooted and it finally worked. After completing setup I put back my hacked one and rebooted again and now all's well.

Thanks to all for the tips.

Orpheus
01-12-2004, 03:05 PM
Well, I got tired of waiting and rebooted again after half an hour. I figured if it was going to error out it wouldn't have taken longer than that. This is getting really frustrating. Is there a file or setting somewhere that tells it that guided setup has completed? The settings are there because it remembers them every time so I just need a way to get this thing to stop forcing me back into guided setup.

Have you tried following my instructions in a recent post in this thread regarding XplusZ and BlissTerPopper? It may help get you started again. I wish I could fix the problem, but at least this seems to be a legit work-around.

O

grog54321
01-12-2004, 03:42 PM
Have you tried following my instructions in a recent post in this thread regarding XplusZ and BlissTerPopper? It may help get you started again. I wish I could fix the problem, but at least this seems to be a legit work-around.

O
See my last post, I managed to fix it by restoring the original boot299.btl. It's working once again but somewhere along the way my Turbonet adapter stopped working. When I run ifconfig eth0 isn't even there. I also noticed that the test call no longer works so I'm thinking something was reset by doing the dish setup. I'm searching for answers right now but do you know what it might be?