PDA

View Full Version : "Acquiring Program Guide data from the satellite..."

psywzrd
01-07-2004, 10:24 PM
I was sitting in front of my TV tonight & realized that one of my Season Passes wasn't recording. When I went to see why, I noticed that I was getting the above message (in the "Pick Programs to Record" menu). In my recording history it says that the reason the program wasn't recorded is because it was no longer in the guide (but it was!). Also, none of my other Season Pass shows were scheduled to record ,but a few minutes later the recordings were scheduled again. What's going on? Is anyone else experiencing this? I understand there is some kind of funky software issue going on that's causing the program guide message, but I thought that it wasn't causing any other problems. Obviously, it is - at least for me. Anyone?

newlooper
01-08-2004, 09:31 AM
I was sitting in front of my TV tonight & realized that one of my Season Passes wasn't recording. When I went to see why, I noticed that I was getting the above message (in the "Pick Programs to Record" menu). In my recording history it says that the reason the program wasn't recorded is because it was no longer in the guide (but it was!). Also, none of my other Season Pass shows were scheduled to record ,but a few minutes later the recordings were scheduled again. What's going on? Is anyone else experiencing this? I understand there is some kind of funky software issue going on that's causing the program guide message, but I thought that it wasn't causing any other problems. Obviously, it is - at least for me. Anyone?
Me too. I missed a couple recordings for no apparent reason

Taran
01-08-2004, 11:37 AM
I am having the same problem. When I go in to "Pick Programs to Record" I have a message at the bottom of the screen saying "Acquiring Program Guide data from the satellite. Some data available now. Full data in 1-2 days." I have had this for well over a week now. I have this on both my Tivo's and one of them I did a complete "System Reset - Clear all delete everything" still no luck. Any suggestions. Could it be the way we are getting our DTV or could it be a local mod done to the Tivo.

psywzrd
01-08-2004, 07:14 PM
This is the info I found about the message - the only problem is it says nothing about causing missed recordings. This is a big problem and I really hope there's a way to fix it.

Erroneous "Acquiring Program Guide data" message

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTV and TiVo are aware of an issue affecting all customers who use DIRECTV with TiVo Receivers. When working with the Pick Programs to Record menus, you may see a message that says:

"Acquiring Program Guide data from the satellite. Some data available now. Full data in 1-2 days."

Also, when working with the System Information screen, you may see an indication that program guide data only exists through today.

If your unit has not been recently set up, then both of these messages are displayed erroneously, and can be ignored. This is a display issue only, affecting all customers with any software version and model of the DIRECTV with TiVo Receiver.

We have confirmed that there is a software issue that causes this display problem, and we will work to correct the message as soon as we can. In the meantime, you can ignore these messages. No other functionality is affected by this issue.

While you can temporarily cause the message to go away by rebooting or resetting your unit, eventually the message will recur, so these workarounds are not recommended. At this time, there is no workaround other than ignoring the message.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Happy new year,
DIRECTV and TiVo

SR712
01-08-2004, 08:44 PM
:) I like the Happy New Year part. That was a nice touch. :D

Taran
01-18-2004, 10:54 AM
psywzrd - Thanks for the information and taking the time to look it up...

psywzrd
01-18-2004, 09:13 PM
No problem. Too bad they haven't fixed the problem yet though.

milhouse
03-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Does anyone know if Tivo has issued a fix for this yet?

Thanks,

Milhouse.

TheWickedPriest
03-07-2004, 04:02 PM
The fix for this on the Series 2 DirecTivos is software release 3.1.1c, which is being slowly rolled out right now. I'm not sure about Series 1.

This is a fix for the "Acquiring..." message, not for missed recordings. I'm not seeing the latter problem on my Series 2's.

anddmx
03-22-2004, 09:35 PM
Any word on this yet for a DTivo Series 1?

kiddbats
04-12-2004, 10:19 PM
Any word on this yet for a DTivo Series 1?

Still just wondering with S1

alldeadhomiez
04-13-2004, 11:13 AM
MuscleNerd posted a patch to backport this fix from 3.1.1c to 4.0 for use on S2 DTiVos. It is possible to figure out how that patch worked and then port it to 3.1.0b on an S1.

It is somewhat amusing that TiVo has taken over four months to "test" (?) a two-line modification to their source code.

malfunct
04-13-2004, 12:04 PM
MuscleNerd posted a patch to backport this fix from 3.1.1c to 4.0 for use on S2 DTiVos. It is possible to figure out how that patch worked and then port it to 3.1.0b on an S1.

It is somewhat amusing that TiVo has taken over four months to "test" (?) a two-line modification to their source code.

Having worked in software I know how hard it is to roll out a small change. Takes us about 1 day to develop the fix, 5days to test it, and then we pass it off to a single customer and it takes them 3 to 10 days to get it installed. Blow that up to hundreds of thousands of customers in a staged rollout, and to a product that has a far larger test pass, and you can easily get to a month.